• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord II

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
They united before the attack to to fend it off, because they at least believed it would be serious. If there was no attack or it wasn’t large enough to need the entirety of the lizardman forces or to be a close enough battle that it left a lasting impression, they very well could have disbanded or even gone back to fighting each other. There are plenty of examples in history of coalitions to fight off common enemies returning to fight each other when the enemy is defeated or nearly so, even limiting it to very recent history.

Where are you getting these over 50% casualty numbers? There were certainly a significant amount of casualties but that is clearly an exaggeration, and I don’t think they were that crippling.

Furthermore the lizardmen divided are worth less than the any of the tribes forces individually if not worthless. Even if you got the largest individual set of tribes, one’s enemies could team up with one of the remaining ones, who are close and willing to fight some of the other tribes with the proper incentive - and I think one tribe teaming up with an outside power with much more forces than any of the tribes, potentially in a bid to take over the rest of the lizardmen, is more than sufficient reason to use the help of another outside power - and even a smaller tribe using guerilla tactics could hold up your allies to the point that they are useless for assisting in outside campaigns.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
We have no idea how many lizardmen died. We don't know the percentages versus their original numbers, either. Usually, a hard fought battle is what brings people together, and lizardman psychology probably dictates this as well. Considering the results of their last war, which DID NOT unite any of the tribes, this situation seemed engineered to *require* them to join together to have a shot at survival. To then make the battle less than that would've probably defeated the purpose.

Also, recall what was said about the last war and the reasons behind why they fought it: overpopulation and limited resources. One tribe actually turned cannibal to survive it. My suspicion is that it doesn't take as long as it would for, say, humans, to recover their numbers from being depleted.

At any rate, next week's episode should provide answers for us, and *then* we can debate on that information.

There's no reason to believe there number recovered to pre civil war level, they could still be significantly down.

As far as united to fend off the attack, again they had no idea what the attack was before it actually showed up, all they knew was that without was behind it had access to high level magic. They still united. And again, all that was needed was for the force to be larger than any individual tribe, no need for the force to be on a similar footing as the combined tribe. Everyone would have understood that alone they would have been dead.

For the 50%, I don't know the number but blue bug said it was very close, that imply very large number of casualty. I don't know what battle would be considered very close when one force would have just 10% casualty. Especially when you consider that the skeleton don't have moral, they don't run away, they have to be killed to the last one for the fight to be considered over. Frankly 50% casualty is very generous, any lower and it would have been obvious who the winner was very early on and wouldn't have any leg to be considered a close battle.

If any of the lizardman was close to allying with an outside power, they would obviously have called on that outside power to help them now, so I'm not sure why you'd need to worry about allying the lizardman now.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
^Like Tuor_of_Gondolin said, we’ll see next week what Ains had in mind and whether the remaining lizardman forces are up to the task.

That last bit in my last post was that allying with one of the tribes while they are still divided offers an incentive for the opposing tribes to accept the help of one’s enemies, who then could be used to negate or mitigate the usefulness of one’s lizardman allies.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
meriam, I think you're making some pretty big assumptions. Why not just wait until the next episode which should resolve many of these issues?

Also, in RL, most of the time it is *not* the battles themselves which lead to the most deaths, but the *results* of those battles. A lot more soldiers die in retreats, and even more in routs, than do when lined up against their foes. I'm not saying that's the case in this particular battle, but just saying that it's true in general.

Anyway, I think I'll wait until the next episode before I pursue this matter any further. I don't think any of us have enough data to provide any solid arguments about what Ains was after or whether he had to do what he did to achieve it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4,

Pretty happy with this episode, my only complaint would be the army looked a little too CG but that's pretty much it. Have been looking forward to this moment for a while, and looking forward to the chair scene next ep too heh.

Oh, and as far as the scene where Ainz is wondering why his bed smells so nice, for those that might not remember, Albedo was naked in his bed in season 1 so she could leave her scent for him hehe
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Easily the best episode yet. That's how you make an entrance. Laughing

After seeing the review though, glad I'm avoiding them this season.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I liked episode 4 as well. As entertaining as the lizard men are to watch, however, there are still other things in the show’s world to go through, so it’ll be interesting to see how this arc will conclude next week.

Morry wrote:
After seeing the review though, glad I'm avoiding them this season.

I can somewhat see why you would be doing this, but I would suggest not doing so for at least Mr. Theron Martin’s reviews because he’s definitely the best one of the bunch of ANN (Take that as you may). Just my two cents, for what’s it’s worth.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit confused by why Ainz and Co. appeared before the lizardpeople with their shock and awe routine. I thought the point was to give Cocytus a chance to bring the lizzies into the fold without using fear?
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Overlord often has a twisted sense of humor but episode 4 might be the best example of that. The guardian of the 8th floor is a tiny floating fetus named Victim and his special ability requires him to die. That is something that would have been right at home on Newgrounds back during the days when edgy flash videos were popular.

Blood- wrote:
I was a bit confused by why Ainz and Co. appeared before the lizardpeople with their shock and awe routine. I thought the point was to give Cocytus a chance to bring the lizzies into the fold without using fear?
I am guessing it is part of a strategy but it sure did go against what he told Cocytus. Ains forbids him from ruling by fear and than immediately goes to the the lizard people with a huge army, freezes their lake, has a giant throw a huge block into the frozen lake, and has a procession onto the block to announce a battle to subjugate them. It will have a twist to it but all the lizard people assume that anyone who stays to fight will be slaughtered.
timber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Overlord often has a twisted sense of humor but episode 4 might be the best example of that. The guardian of the 8th floor is a tiny floating fetus named Victim and his special ability requires him to die. That is something that would have been right at home on Newgrounds back during the days when edgy flash videos were popular.

There is also Ainz's failure to understand the parchement's origin from Demiurge, the so called 'skin from 2 legged sheep from the Holy Kingdom".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5,

Great ep overall, from the sure-to-be-made-a-meme shaltear chair scene, to national geographic's lizard mating habits to the dual and subjugation of the lizardmen, I'm overall pretty happy with how this arch turned out, and honestly it's considered one of the weaker ones in the novels, but the anime definitely helped it along by shortening it a bit and emphasizing the good parts.

Now we get to move on to the men of the kingdom arc, which is going to be awesome. Can't wait to see Sebastian as a badass gentleman.

oh, and Ainze, stop rubbing cute lizardman girls you meet, you give everyone the wrong idea heh, Albedo had to hold back a lot in this ep.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
In response to the reviewer asking of Ainz is becoming a villain or acting as one, you'll definitely see as the series continues. I hope they do a 3rd season cause while this one is going to get a bit dark in its second half, that's nothing compared to what happens later on hehe. Hint hint, ainz's character sheet has him as Alignment: Extreme Evil and a -500 sense of justice.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:57 am Reply with quote
I like how they answered the cliff-hanger ending of last week, "show, don't tell" Laughing
The fight was interesting; it was entertaining to see just how overpowering Cocytus was compared to the others, but in the end he pretty much just stood there.
Nojay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
it was entertaining to see just how overpowering Cocytus was compared to the others, but in the end he pretty much just stood there.

Cocytus took a half-step backwards during the battle. He didn't have to but he was honouring the lizardmen's fighting spirit. I was impressed that he wore his armour even though the lizardmen didn't pose any mind of a threat to him, another sign of respect.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Nojay wrote:
Covnam wrote:
it was entertaining to see just how overpowering Cocytus was compared to the others, but in the end he pretty much just stood there.

Cocytus took a half-step backwards during the battle. He didn't have to but he was honouring the lizardmen's fighting spirit. I was impressed that he wore his armour even though the lizardmen didn't pose any mind of a threat to him, another sign of respect.

Cocytus's armor is his exoskeleton, it's natural armor and a part of him, he's technically already naked. That said he does have skills that negate low level attacks against him, I think he can turn those off as Ainz has similar skills and is able to, but since this is a demonstration of their overwhelming strength he probably kept them turned on to fully display that fact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15