• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2018 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
Łukasz Kawosz wrote:
The discussion reminds me of the case when an actor refused to date a transsexual and everyone deemed him an transphobe.

Acceptance of sexual minorities is one thing, but complaining that the show doesn't show the world the way I prefer it or doesn't have stuff I like crosses the line quite a bit.

It's like watching Hellsing and being disappointed that there's no loli fanservice. Or being disappointed at Girls und Panzer for not showing cool airplanes. Hey, Ika Musume has a Squid Girl, where are Cat Girls then? The lack of yaoi in Yuru Yuri saddens me.

It might challenge heteronormality in later episodes, it might not. It comes off as an really kafkaesque judgement. I want believe this wasn't intended as malicious thing, but they say in my country: "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".

It's not exactly a new concept. Candidate for Goddess and Vandread did the whole guy + girl = the ultimate mech power' thing. Vandread was literally about men and women living on different planets and discovering their mechs can "insert" into each other to unlock a super form. It's just back then heterosexuality wasn't seen as a bad thing so you didn't see this discussion. I can't fathom how a show that is extremly open how its based on plant biology could be percieved as malicious.
KeliraTelian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

It's not exactly a new concept. Candidate for Goddess and Vandread did the whole guy + girl = the ultimate mech power' thing. Vandread was literally about men and women living on different planets and discovering their mechs can "insert" into each other to unlock a super form. It's just back then heterosexuality wasn't seen as a bad thing so you didn't see this discussion. I can't fathom how a show that is extremly open how its based on plant biology could be percieved as malicious.

tbh Vandread has done this better than basically any show that has tried since.

Also, Vandread actually took place in a setting where *homonormativity* was in place, and heterosexuality was unusual and looked down on.

Vandread's ultimate message was "you love who you love". Two of the girls ended up with a guy, a guy ended up with another dude who was disguised as a woman, and the vast majority of the cast remained lesbian as heck.
ice_tea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Overall i think this is a female-friendly anime season. I am going to follow 10+ shows.

The first episode of Darling in the Franxx is ok. I hope it won't turn into pointless crap like Valvrave or Aldnoah Zero. I don't have a problem with its concept at all, as long as it can tell a good story.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I keep wondering if they'll link FRAXX which get's its design cues from Star Driver.

I'm kinda surprised the reviewers didn't pick up on that.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
^Well not so much gets design cues so much as shares a mech designer.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Violet Evergarden is a 2nd Plastic Memories, only that the creators skipped the quality of that pilot and already stepped down to middling stuff that came next.
Wow, that’s quite frankly the most inaccurate and obtuse way of describing that first episode I’ve come across thus far. Rolling Eyes It’s not... you know what, it’s not worth the effort.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I see that Amazon finally decided to upload the first episode of Beatless. I wanted to follow this show weekly, but I will not because I do not trust that Amazon will upload new episodes every Friday; episode 1 was uploaded 3 days late.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
@ KeliraTelian

1. Self-promotion is not permitted here. Hence I've deleted the offending post.
2. You've also been warned to stop soap-boxing. Any further posts on your hobby-horse subject will also be deleted. (And any replies.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Millhi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I see that Amazon finally decided to upload the first episode of Beatless. I wanted to follow this show weekly, but I will not because I do not trust that Amazon will upload new episodes every Friday; episode 1 was updated 3 days late.

Just amazon US things I suppose, Beatless has been up for me since 3 days ago on (amazon) primevideo for Belgium. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I see that Amazon finally decided to upload the first episode of Beatless. I wanted to follow this show weekly, but I will not because I do not trust that Amazon will upload new episodes every Friday; episode 1 was updated 3 days late.

Just amazon US things I suppose, Beatless has been up for me since 3 days ago on (amazon) primevideo for Belgium. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So, even with Anime Strike gone Amazon will continue mistreating U.S. anime fans.
lycopene

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

So, even with Anime Strike gone Amazon will continue mistreating U.S. anime fans.

Its not just us, Canada still doesnt have Killing Bites

Last edited by lycopene on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
A Place Futher than the Universe is good. I really like the look of it.
Cardcaptor Clear Card is also nice.
Sanrio Boys I like it and the message it is sending. What I do not like is the otome game scenes.
How to keep a Mummy is cute.
IDOLish7 is alright. I hope it keeps any possible romance to a extreme minimum. The same goes for Gakuen Babysitters.
Mitchiri Neko As a cat lover I like it.
gdgd men's party looks to be silly, stupid and doesn't make sense. I will continue to watch it.
Takunomi. I will keep my eye on it.
Yowapeda is same old same old. Teshima is my favorite character and I actually enjoy the screen time he and Aoyagi have been getting.
Touken Ranbu Hanamaru I missed you so much. My favorite Shishiou might be getting more screen time. It is a fun show and more people should give it a chance.

Last edited by SonicFanA on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Amazon, when I am searching for Beatless, I am not looking for a documentary about The Beatles!!!
Searching for Beatless anime was also fruitless. Can they give their Animeism and Noitamina contracts to Crunchyroll, please!?

(I finally went to my PC and clicked on the direct link from the preview, and added Beatless to my Watch List. Will have to wait to watch it. Really glad your preview guides have direct links to shows, but, man, that was frustrating!)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Amazon, when I am searching for Beatless, I am not looking for a documentary about The Beatles!!!
Searching for Beatless anime was also fruitless. Can they give their Animeism and Noitamina contracts to Crunchyroll, please!?

(I finally went to my PC and clicked on the direct link from the preview, and added Beatless to my Watch List. Will have to wait to watch it. Really glad your preview guides have direct links to shows, but, man, that was frustrating!)

Yeah, we ran into this same problem over and over again. Searching for - in quotes - "Beatless Anime" in Prime Video makes it appear. Truly frustrating experience, surely it wouldn't take much to surface these shows a little more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
lycopene wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Its not just us, Canada still doesnt have Killing Bites

As a Canadian, I'd happily trade my legit access to Beatless for legit access to Killing Bites. I mean, in an ideal world Amazon Prime would be competent enough to deliver both to me, but that is apparently an impossible service standard for them. Suck it, Bezos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 42