• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2017

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
A bit late to the party but here's my take on the year:
(Disclaimer: not including ongoing series, otherwise Vanishing Line would be among my top 5)
1- Shingeki no Bahamut Virgin Soul: Yeah, I know I'm in the minority here but I LOVED this series to bits. really, it was everything I love about anime and then some. Loved the characters, the plot, the world setting... even the very maligned ending, which I found absolutely brilliant as it was bittersweet and unexpected... just the way I like it.
2- Showa Rakugo 2: Not much to say about this one as it's a pretty popular choice. Just as good as everybody says
3- The Dragon Dentist: A sadly overlooked gem of a series. I guess the fact it was more a 2 episeodes special rather than a full tv cour prevented it from being more popular. Pretty much everything I said about Virgin Soul applies here. I just wish this wasn't so ridiculously underwatched.
4- Kado: A wonderful sci-fi tale that, despite going a bit too anime in the last few episodes still managed to be a dead serious, pure sci fi series, something we sadly don't see very often
5- Inuyashiki. I guess this one too is pretty popular so I'll just say that I loved it to bits and its 11 episodes just flew by.
Honourable mentions: Acca 13, Onihei, Altair, Castlevania (yes, I consider it anime) and the 2 surprises of the year for me: Tanya of the Devil ( I would have never imagined that an iseakai title could ever be this good and refreshing) and Juni Taisen (having always hated the monogatari franchise I would have never imagined that its author could write something this engaging and all-around awesome. It also helps that it looked cool as hell)

...And, last but not least, an honourable mention to my 2 favorite pieces of animation of the year: Genocidal Organ (pretty much my favorite film of the decade, anime or otherwise) and the sublime Blade Runner short. If only those 2 were more popular...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
The Dragon Dentist A great idea that just wasn't budgeted well which was glaringly obvious by that ending. In short, a 2 episode pilot.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:52 pm Reply with quote
A wild final comment appears! What a great year for anime!!
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I surveyed my ratings chronologically and usually when I have rated things as masterpiece there are one or two titles in a year such as in 2002 there is Haibane Renmei and RahXephon while in 2008 there is Clannad Afterstory and Aria the Origination, but for 2017 I rated 6 titles as masterpiece: Land of the Lustrous which I watched after I got the recommendations, plus Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Little Witch Academia, Made in Abyss, My Hero Academia and Girls Last Tour. Overall, it's by far my favorite year ever.

I think that anime studios are becoming more audacious because of the increased revenues from the Chinese market, the recovering Japanese market and the streaming revenues from the Western services like crunchyroll and Netflix are injecting new life into the medium.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11