• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Celebrating 1,000 Episodes of the Pokémon Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
Call me Mr. Contrary but I think that both the Japanese and English "Pokemon" songs are pretty good. Now I know that 4Kids originally did the "Pokemon" series,much to the great lament of many,but I'm not not among those people. I thought that 4Kids did a good job with the show and had really good voice actors on there. Personally,I think the American theme was just as good as the Japanese theme. But,I do agree with everyone here on this point. Rica Matsumoto is a pretty good singer.
Now,I don't know if she knows English but why doesn't she sing both the Japanese and English themes to "Pokemon?" I think it would be interesting to see Ash's Japanese voice actress sing both songs whether it be the Japanese theme in English or the American theme in Japanese. I think it would be something to see. What do you guys think?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:31 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
1000 Episodes and still no championship.
and he's still 10 after 20 years
I'm pretty sure the show soft-reboots every once in awhile. The last time I ever saw an episode. Was around the early 10s and I hadn't seen it for sometime. Ash was travelling with this black girl and a smartly dressed boy, and someone was teaching Ash elemental types. Because he was having a battle with someone and he didn't know that his Pokemons element was weak against his opponents. Even though Brock taught him in episode 5. So I'm guessing they restart certain things for the new viewers who are getting into it.

There are young kids, who are now getting into a show that is not 20 years old. They will want to be able to watch it from where they started, not go back to the beginning because of plot points they don't understand.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I think it would be interesting to see Ash's Japanese voice actress sing both songs whether it be the Japanese theme in English or the American theme in Japanese.

Well...Jason Paige did put up a video of himself singing his Japanese version of Gotta Catch em' All some months ago.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:

And I'm 100% convinced that a large percentage of Pokémon fans haven't won a championship either. There are probably a lot of competitive players who have gone to tournaments on a regular basis and still lost every single time.

.....Even if that may be the case that doesn't really take away from the fact that the main premise of the game's single player component (barring Black & White) is to go to the Pokemon League and take on the Champion which canonically has happened with Red. And yet despite this development the main writers of the anime keep needlessly screwing over Ash for little in the way of reason.
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
That Japanese version of Gotta Catch 'em All was amazing! Hearing the original version of the Japanese opening and the English fan made one, I still prefer the Gotta Catch 'em All growing up, but still like the others.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

.....Even if that may be the case that doesn't really take away from the fact that the main premise of the game's single player component (barring Black & White) is to go to the Pokemon League and take on the Champion which canonically has happened with Red. And yet despite this development the main writers of the anime keep needlessly screwing over Ash for little in the way of reason.

The anime never adapted any of the game stories faithfully in the first place. Red's achievements have little to say about Satoshi's development. Not only that, Satoshi is always a combination of all game protagonists, with Red being his main influence, but he does not have to be absolute best. It's also problematic for him being the champion of any region considering that all regions barring Alola have set Champion characters and are all portrayed to be leagues above Satoshi. The XY Saga was the closest for him to be on their level.

Nowadays, Satoshi is now a mix bag of his previous goofy persona only more extreme, coupled with the battle experience he had in XY, but in the roles of "Sun"/Elio and the game's Lilie that didn't go into her anime counterpart. In Alola, the only rival he has is Gladio so far, and who knows who's going to be Alola's first Champion.

His team is never overpowered, and the original series in particular really loved him to keep his team back all the time and deconstructed the role of the player character by making him a total novice and instead of a prodigy trainer. And for many years, fans complained about Satoshi for not catching Legendaries and win a League with that, yet Takuto/Tobias did exactly that and people hated him for using such an overpowered team in such a competition. And yes, I'd really like him winning the Kalos League, especially since Alain's victory looks meaningless in comparison to Satoshi's Bond Phenomenon, but it ended how it ended and we can't change it now.

At least, I can cope with the fact that I've also never won a competitive Pokémon tournament in my life. The thing is, Satoshi is not supposed to represent the player character like Red did. In the games, we have way more control to how we can play the game, but in the anime, Satoshi is surrounded with many living beings with their own will who all contribute to his journey in some way and he can't actively control all of it.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

To be fair, the games take place in a universe where a kid can go from his hometown to the league in less than a day, and is literally the only trainer doing so outside maybe the rival. In the anime, hundreds of people are competing against one another, and the Champions are so powerful they can curbstomp people with only one of their Pokemon, unlike the games where an overleveled starter can singlehandedly carry you through the league.

Applying game logic doesn't work . One of the earliest episodes of the first series mocked applying game logic to the show, where Satoshi meets students who only know Pokemon battles through video game simulations and quoting things like 'levels' and 'experience points'.

-Stuart Smith
Sleipmon4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
1000 episodes of never once breaking from formula.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Sleipmon4 wrote:
1000 episodes of never once breaking from formula.

Except Sun & Moon does that a lot.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Hey, if there's an English version of Aim To Be A Pokemon Master (Mezase Pokemon Master), then why not post it for us to see.

Here's the video. Smile
It's worth noting that the voice of Professor Oak in this cover is from a former 4Kids actor.

Quote:
It's such a fantastic opening anime theme song that I wish I grew up with instead of the one made by 4Kids/WB or whatever.

Agreed. I don't deny the iconic recognition of 4Kids's international in-house song Gotta Catch em' All, but Aim To Be A Pokémon Master just exudes that awesome energy that makes me want to dance like crazy! I wish I grew up with the latter song instead as well.

Hey! Thanks for posting the vid. This person did a splendid job translating the original Japanese song into English. This should have been part of my childhood. And who would have thought they'd get an actor from the actual 4Kids dub. Does this person live in NYC since it was dubbed there?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:

The anime never adapted any of the game stories faithfully in the first place.

This is true doesn't rationalize the constant yanking of the dog's chain though.

MajinAkuma wrote:

but he does not have to be absolute best.

I'm guessing the lyrics to english opening lied to us about "wanting to be the best like no one ever was" along with leaving us to question whether Ash deserves the badges he's gotten every league if he gets bounced from a tournament because of ass pulls, diablous ex machinas, or whatever being thrown in unexpectedly because repeated adversity builds character instead of apathy and derision.

At this rate Ash might just be better being called the Anime equivalent of Charlie Brown.

MajinAkuma wrote:
It's also problematic for him being the champion of any region considering that all regions barring Alola have set Champion characters and are all portrayed to be leagues above Satoshi.

A problem that's easily solved by doing what other shonen series that that are continuations or spin offs of series that take place in the same universe and even what the source material does....change the protag....but given they're 1000 episodes too late to do that and may never have him win the League just cause?

Stuart Smith wrote:

To be fair, the games take place in a universe where a kid can go from his hometown to the league in less than a day,

.....Didn't that only apply to RGBY, due to the League being between Pallet Town and Viridian City?

Stuart Smith wrote:

and is literally the only trainer doing so outside maybe the rival. In the anime, hundreds of people are competing against one another, and the Champions are so powerful they can curbstomp people with only one of their Pokemon, unlike the games where an overleveled starter can singlehandedly carry you through the league.

Doesn't work too well if you're trying this in Gym Leader Tower in Stadium 2 with rental pokemon.

Stuart Smith wrote:

Applying game logic doesn't work . One of the earliest episodes of the first series mocked applying game logic to the show, where Satoshi meets students who only know Pokemon battles through video game simulations and quoting things like 'levels' and 'experience points'.

Given the anime came up with things like Pokemon that like eating ketchup and a running gag involving a a dumb Jigglypuff that's stupid to realize it's singing has the side effect of putting anyone who hears it to sleep it's not like the anime writers were banging out the good stuff consistently either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2