• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Quick Answers Part 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
I wish they wouldn't translate Japanese school years into American terms, it gets very confusing for me living in England. Very Happy

Here, we have

((Ages 4-5 Reception
Ages 5-6 Year 1
Ages 6-7 Year 2
Ages 7-8 Year 3) - Infant School
(Ages 8-9 Year 4
Ages 9-10 Year 5
Ages 10-11 Year 6) - Junior School) - Primary School
(Ages 11-12 Year 7/First Form
Ages 12-13 Year 8/Second Form
Ages 13-14 Year 9/Third Form
Ages 14-15 Year 10/Fourth Form
Ages 15-16 Year 11/Fifth Form
(Ages 16-17 Year 12/Lower Sixth
Ages 17-18 Year 13/Upper Sixth) - Sixth Form College) - Secondary School

(Though some secondary schools don't have sixth forms attached).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
The only one I ever remember hearing about Japanese fans liking the English dub (before today) was Lucky Star
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-01-07/lucky-star-bd-ships-in-japan-in-may-with-english-track

Nothing in that article says Japanese fans like the dub, it just mentions the dub appears on the BD, which is not uncommon for rereleases since its an easy bonus. Any dub being preferable to the original in Japan makes little sense given the huge fandom of Seiyuu culture. It sounds like the whishes of American fans wanting to be relevant in Japan.

a) I never claimed that it is "fact" that Japanese fans prefer the English dub, merely that Lucky Star is the only title that I've ever heard anyone make that claim. (I've heard the rumor about Cowboy Bebop, but that's always been about the production crew not the fans)
b) I preferred to link the article about the BD release rather than the forum thread commenting on it for simplicity. But if you go into that comment thread you'll see numerous comments about Japanese fans following the dub and noting things like the fact that honorifics were left intact as were terms like "moe" and how one particular character has a fanbase for her English voice. I admittedly question the reliability of some of the comments, but again, I was simply saying it's the only show for which I had EVER heard this claim. (In fact, most Japanese require hard subs for BD to fight reverse importation, which seems unnecessary if the English dubs are really popular with Japanese fans)
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
Middle School vs. Junior High School:

Middle School is 6th-8th grade.
Junior High School is 7th-9th grade.

Supposedly, 9th graders have more in common, developmentally, with older kids (10th-12th) than younger ones, which has led most school districts in the US to switch to using a Middle School.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Concerning school class designations, it is a large country there are bound to be regional differences during any period. That said, I go back a bit further than most people here and perhaps I can shed some light on the subject.

According to my parents, who both graduated before WWII, it was fairly simple. First grade through eighth grade was Elementary or Primary school. You graduated from eighth grade and in many jurisdictions that was the end of compulsory schooling. Ninth grade through twelfth grade were high school or secondary school. This matched the four year period of college and the terms Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior were used. Also ninth and tenth grade were considered "Junior High" and eleventh and twelfth were "Senior High". Kindergarten before first grade depended on the school system, some had it some did not. (a "Garden" of children, what a horrifying image.)

Beginning in the mid 1950s, the post war baby boom hit the school systems nation wide and blew all of this out of the water. For instance, I entered a brand new high school in 1958 in eighth grade. When it was planned it was intended to be a classic four year high school. By the time it was built it had to take six grades (7th through 12th) because the elementary school were full of boomers. We were aware of the freshman etc. designations but didn't use either freshman or sophomore. By the time ninth graders technically became freshmen, they had been two years in the same school and were hardly "fresh". Junior and Senior were still in use (the "Junior Prom" was hosted by the Junior class for the Senior class) but mostly people still referred to classes by number. The first I ever heard of "middleschool" was in the late 1960s when the local school district built one that my youngest brother attended.

Since that time during boom, bust, re-boom, etc. school systems have been coping with constant demographic changes that have them assigning grades to schools mostly on the basis of room. They try to make it look good with various theories but the bottom line is if they have the money for new schools or not. A small city near us is trying to raise taxes to replace the 100 year old schools they still are using and getting opposition.

TLDR: the mess reflected in all the different posts above is another thing you can blame on the baby boomers (not that they had any say in the matter).

Last edited by Alan45 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Kindergarten before first grade depended on the school system, some had it some did not. (a "Garden" of children, what a horrifying image.)

At least in my experience/cohort (late-Boomer, early X depending on who you ask), kindergarden seemed pretty rare. I don't think it became near universal until the 80's.

Quote:
Since that time during boom, bust, re-boom, etc. school systems have been coping with constant demographic changes that have them assigning grades to schools mostly on the basis of room. They try to make it look good with various theories but the bottom line is if they have the money for new schools or not.

Some of it is boomers, some of it is localized changes... My county wasn't hit hard by the boomers - but it was hit heavily by the expansion of a military base in the 70's and 80's, by the effects of the dot com boom in the 90's, and again over the last decade as we've increasingly become a bedroom community.

And that's generally true across the US, it's not just boomers. It's also the vast rural->urban shift of the last half century+, the accompanying explosion of suburbs, and the more general population shift to the coasts.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
@DerekL1963

Apparently Kindergarten took longer than I thought to get established. The township school I went to in central New Jersey (just east of Philadelphia) had Kindergarten when I went there during the 1950/1951 school year. It wasn't a new thing there. This in spite of the fact that the student population in the township was small enough that the rest of the school had two grades and one teacher in each classroom. The teacher would teach half the class at a time while the other half worked quietly (yeah right). We moved to eastern Pennsylvania (just west of Philadelphia) in 1955. At that time the local school system did not have a kindergarten so my middle brother went to one at a private school. Five years later when my youngest brother started school the local system did offer kindergarten.

You are right about local changes being a factor. We moved out of New Jersey because the Levitt corporation bought up most of the township to establish Levittown New Jersey. The entire township became one big commuting suburb for Philadelphia. I expect they had to build several schools.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
On the attacks of homeless people: Yeah, I always thought it was true. It matches with the fact that most youth in Japan feel like they have no power over their lives and some, sadly, want to feel powerful by attacking someone who is relatively defenseless. Combines with the fact that minors tend to get away with a lot in Japan and you have a recipe for heartlessness. Burning the possessions of a homeless man feels, to me, like an unredeemable act of cruelty. If you do that you should go on some sort of list, if you catch my drift.

I guess that's the form bullying takes there. I mean, bullying is essentially someone who feels insecure or unstable alleviating those feelings by taking it out on someone lower than them who can't fight back.

And kids are cruel. Humans are not born with empathy; they either learn it or develop it on their own. Humans aren't even born with object permanence. Hence, it is much too easy for someone like that to just do cruel, terrible things because 1) it's not happening to them, and 2) as far as they're concerned, the victims stop existing when they stop thinking about them.

belvadeer wrote:
I have a friend in Japan who's fascinated with English dubs for anime, but says she wishes she could understand it all better without needing subtitles as she does happen to like hearing quite a few of our VAs. "English is very complex!" is what she tells me a lot in emails.

English IS very complex. It began as German with French, Italian, and Spanish thrown into it (well, as they existed in the 11st century anyway), and it's co-opted so many words from other languages into itself that every rule has a long list of exceptions.

Me, I like to see what people in Japan think of native English language programming It's interesting to see cultural concepts we take for granted not be understood in other countries because they don't have such a thing, such as our spring cleaning, which in Japan is done at the beginning of the year instead.

LoriasGS wrote:
Animation is rarely that detailed and doesn't usually go beyond mouth open or closed and in those instances you can put practically anything into that moment and unless you knew what was meant to be said you wouldn't be able to tell it was wrong. There are plenty of instances in anime where the Japanese dub doesn't even match the lip flaps properly.

I've even seen people believe that an animation was originally made in one language and will point out flaws in its real original language because they think it should be another one. They will point out ways in which the lip flaps don't match and use that as proof that it was meant to be in another language even when it wasn't, because it is genuinely difficult to tell in animation that something was meant to be in another language unless the dub was phenomenally bad or you already knew.

Depends on the animation itself. Western 2-D animation, as well as the higher-budgeted anime movies, go through great pains to match the actors' lip flaps to that of the characters. Anime typically has pure open-close-open-close cycles because less priority is given than in western animation. A result of this is that anime is one of the easiest forms of media to dub over, whereas western animation is a lot tougher.

By the way, there are some Sonic games in which the lip flaps are so carelessly animated that the English voices synch up better than in Japanese. (I can think of Sonic Heroes as one.)

Codeanime93 wrote:
To them I'm sure it's more a curiosity bonus. Though I'm sure if we subtitled certain English dubs to anime for them where the dubbers added a wealth of profanity to the title that wasn't in the original they'd laugh their butts off. Or maybe just shake their heads.

Well, except for Panty & Stocking, as that was requested by the Japanese director.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
I have a friend in Japan who's fascinated with English dubs for anime, but says she wishes she could understand it all better without needing subtitles as she does happen to like hearing quite a few of our VAs. "English is very complex!" is what she tells me a lot in emails.

English IS very complex. It began as German with French, Italian, and Spanish thrown into it (well, as they existed in the 11st century anyway), and it's co-opted so many words from other languages into itself that every rule has a long list of exceptions.

Me, I like to see what people in Japan think of native English language programming It's interesting to see cultural concepts we take for granted not be understood in other countries because they don't have such a thing, such as our spring cleaning, which in Japan is done at the beginning of the year instead.

Modern English would most likely be very different today were it not for the Norman conquest of England. As a result of that war, Old English would be supplanted by what would become Middle English. The English language became radically different as a result.
the Wikipedia article wrote:
The Old English period is considered to have evolved into the Middle English period some time after the Norman conquest of 1066, when the language came to be influenced significantly by the new ruling class's language, Old Norman.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget the ADV dub of "Ghost Stories" (there was a more faithful Animax dub but Animax is notable for the low-budget dubs). While the show did have some success in Japan, it just didn't sell enough there to get their money back. The rules the Japanese licensors gave ADV were the following

1. They couldn't change the meaning of the episode.
2. They couldn't change the character names, including the ghosts.
3. They couldn't change the method the episodic ghost was sealed by.
VigorousJammer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
When I went to high school, I was part of the class of 2006.

I remember when I started Middle school (in the year 2000), it was a 3-year school.

Elementary 1-6
Middle 7-9
High School 10-12

However, by the time I was entering 10th grade (in 2003), they switched it so that middle school covered grades 7-8, and the High School turned into a four-year school. Meaning that I was technically never a High School freshman.

From what I recall, I remember the older kids calling me "freshman" in 10th grade, and "junior" in 11th. This leads me to believe they were used to calling the 10th graders freshmen, even though they were now sophomores with the switch to a 4-year school system, so in a three-year school system, it was most likely "freshmen", "junior", "senior".

For the record, this was in a school on Long Island, NY. Not sure if it was different elsewhere.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Let's not forget the ADV dub of "Ghost Stories" (there was a more faithful Animax dub but Animax is notable for the low-budget dubs). While the show did have some success in Japan, it just didn't sell enough there to get their money back. The rules the Japanese licensors gave ADV were the following

1. They couldn't change the meaning of the episode.
2. They couldn't change the character names, including the ghosts.
3. They couldn't change the method the episodic ghost was sealed by.

Gakkou no Kaidan's gag dub is one of those unfounded internet rumors. The only source to the claim is an English voice actor at a random convention panel, who has every reason to lie to justify their company's descision. Every other country got a faithful dub, and if you look at the television ratings from the time you saw it did better than other series in the same timeslot like Great Teacher Onizuka and even most episodes of One Piece. I would call ADV out for lying in that situation. More than likely the idea of marketing a show all about Japanese youkai and spirits in America seemed too hard to do back in 2005. I mean, Steven Foster was in charge of the dub, and he is a bit infamous in his scriptwriting even to this day.

-Stuart Smith
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
@Stuart Smith: OK, so "Gakkou no Kaidan" did well in TV ratings for the time. That's great. However, home video sales are sometimes where the Japanese companies can make their money back. If it flopped in sales, I can see why they might ask ADV to do what's necessary to make it sell here. If I managed to track down the Japanese director, a Japanese producer, or script writer, I would ask them if such a claim about the dub is true. Obviously, I would ask someone to translate my text into Japanese.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Steven Foster was in charge of the dub, and he is a bit infamous in his scriptwriting even to this day.

I do not know when this occurred, but at some point Steven Foster learned how to competently direct ADR. Pity he had to wreck so many shows in the interim.....
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@Stuart Smith: OK, so "Gakkou no Kaidan" did well in TV ratings for the time. That's great. However, home video sales are sometimes where the Japanese companies can make their money back. If it flopped in sales, I can see why they might ask ADV to do what's necessary to make it sell here.

Disk sales are only a major factor in late night anime. The show aired during primetime, which get their money from sponsors, and boosting source material sales. Mainstream anime generally do poorly in disk sales, if they even get a release in the first place.

-Stuart Smith
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith, even if one e-mailed the Japanese director, producer, or writer about this, I think the response would be something like the following: they didn't personally approve of the gag dub angle but business wise they had to make that sacrifice. Thus, they might not want to speak ill of the ADV script-writing decision. Another is it happened so long ago that they don't necessarily remember. So, it ultimately is unclear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3