• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Was A "MovieCD"?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
You forgot the VideoNow! They got Beyblade V-Force, Hamtaro, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, and Sonic X.

And also Zoids, of all things, though only in B&W.

I looked VideoNow up on Wikipedia out of curiosity and apparently Hasbro sold video conversion software and burnable media (PVDs) for VideoNow. Or you could take a regular CDR and try to cut it(!) to the right size.

It's just so bizarre to me, because car mount and portable DVD players were already quite common. I guess if you were really desperate to entertain your kid in the car on a budget, you could burn a big binder full of PVDs with one episode of Spongebob each.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
ADV experimented with releasing some anime on MiniDVDs, back around 2004 - don't know how many titles they tried, but I know I've seen Pretear, Azumanga Daioh, and Noir mini discs for sale, at least.

In view of the lacklustre number of episodes per disc back in such an era, at least a miniaturised format would provide distributors with a convenient excuse...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I own the first episode of Paranoia Agent and the Gundam Endless Waltz movie on the fabulous PSP disc system.
It really looks terrible when you connect the PSP to a television.
And the discs themselves make a ton of noise during use.

It cracks me up just how many of those old UMDs RightStuf still has in their bargain bin. At this point I'm betting they'll still have copies at the heat death of the universe. Razz
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
QuarkboySam wrote:
Was there ever any anime released in Japan (or elsewhere, for that matter) on Super VHS?
Akira was released on the format, according to this listing.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
MovieCD was a short-lived predecessor to DVD that was aimed at PC users back when full-screen, full-motion video was a new, novel idea. And a computer being able to play back video was a big deal -- I have a strong memory of one of these discs being prominently displayed at a CompUSA store growing up.

And before the Playstation 2, people literally didn't know what a DVD was for and where you played one (since everyone was sitting out Format War I, and didn't want to buy a hardware player when DiVX "might" win)--
So, most first DVD's were sold in computer stores to play on your desktop, because, well, where else were you supposed to play them?--how many geezers remember one of their first "real" DVD's being Steve Jobs' Pixar "A Bug's Life" DVD packaged with the first Volkswagen-shaped iMac's DVD-ROM drive?--and up to that point, everyone was experimenting with how to cram movies on digitized CD-ROM.

In addition to Philips CDI, Voyager--before they were Criterion--tried putting "A Hard Day's Night" on interactive QuickTime CD-ROM (viewable full-screen, or in a corner of the shooting script), and were about to move on to "This is Spinal Tap" and "Monty Python & the Holy Grail", before DVD moved in.

And I remember the brief big underground-fan push for bootleg Malaysian VCD in '99, back when we thought George Lucas--a known DiVX-supporting "traitor", like Spielberg and Disney--was deliberately being evil in releasing the Star Wars OT and Phantom Menace on VHS in the US and VCD overseas, but not on DVD.
Turns out he was just finishing up all those deleted-scene CGI effects for the DVD, but all us good, angry, paranoid home-theater fans went out and bought the Australian VCD sets online, just to show 'im. Razz
(Also found some good badly-Malaysian-dubbed anime, like rare Doraemon, and a few Japanese pre-DVD releases which hadn't come here yet. Until Harmony Gold is defeated, I still have only one copy of Macross:DYRL on disk.)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I think VideoCD was somewhat popular in Europe thanks to Philips pushing it for their CD-I player. I have Akira on VCD, along with a few concerts and movies. Resolution was barely better than VHS and had lots of MPEG-1 artifacting, but at least it was random access.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Cerceaux wrote:
Wow, I'd never even heard of those before. It's interesting how many weird formats there are out there that didn't catch on.

In the early/mid 90's there was a ton of competing formats for practically anything you'd want to do with, attach to, or install into your computer. I don't miss those days one bit.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Not long ago, I had the "pleasure" of watching a Chinese VCD of eps. 3-4 of the OMG! OVA. We ran it on a Blu-ray player on a 1080p LCD.

Pass the eye bleach... Razz
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
The weirdest VCD I've ever bought was the AnimeVillage release of the Tenchi Muyo OVA, which inexplicably was simultaneously English-dubbed and hard-subbed. In hindsight, it was obviously not a legitimate release, but back then it didn't even occur to me.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
ADV experimented with releasing some anime on MiniDVDs, back around 2004 - don't know how many titles they tried, but I know I've seen Pretear, Azumanga Daioh, and Noir mini discs for sale, at least.

Think the ADV MiniDVD's were meant to be "samplers" that would let new viewers sample episodes of a show at a discount, without committing to a full-size DVD.
Also, think this was back when DVD players still had drawers, that you could place a full or mini DVD into. Can't remember the last time I saw one of those.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I remember Video CD as a friend of mine (who had seen one n'th generation vhs copy of an anime in 1987 and decided all anime was exactly the same and he hated it all) had bought some VCDs but had no means of playing them at the time, so came down to visit and we watched some abject shite on my 16" monitor.

Movie CD I'd never heard of.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I always wondered what the deal was with the Software Sculptors label. I wasn't aware of the software releases, so I was never sure what the reason for a separate label at CPM was...
KithKanan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
KithKanan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I almost forgot I had it but my friend bought me this strange Yu Yu Hakusho the movie/yoga in bed video combo pack when he was teaching English in Korea. It has both the DVD and video CD logos on the cover but besides the words "yoga in bed" that's the only other thing that's not in Korean. I've never actually tried to play them so I'm not sure what format they are actually in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4