• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Just How Trashy is NTR?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
If this show had better values that makes Scum's Wish jealous and frankly be LONGER than 8 minutes, Netsuzou Trap would have been beautifully polished trash! Laughing

On a side note, are there any BL manga that's essentially a gender-swapped version of Netsuzou Trap?

jenthehen wrote:

Honestly, I just really have enjoyed NTR - even more than Citrus. I don't understand why Citrus is held up on a pedestal next to NTR. I feel like the Citrus relationship started too quickly and I still don't understand the motivations of the two girls or why they like each other and WHY did they have to be stepsisters??? In NTR I get why these two girls would like each other so much spoiler[(long-time friends, Hotaru never got along with anyone else, Yuma saved her from bullies, Hotaru dates/sleeps around in an attempt to get Yuma's attention, etc.)]

(Was extra wary with spoiler tags just in case)

If I had to guess, both NTR and Citrus offered something that's rarely done in the yuri manga world and that's delivering a romantic thrill ride (having shoujo art style also helps). Granted each of those titles have different degrees of thrills in them, but they're definitely in a different league compared to past popular yuri manga that tends to be a cutesy side.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I really wish they'd stop pushing spoiler[Fujiwara wanting a threesome with the girls. Get this abusive/manipulative straight stuff out of my yuri.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
gilnokoibito wrote:
If you want to call something trashy this season though, that'd be Skirt no Naka wa Kedamono Deshita.
[...]
It's really cringy and absolutely horrible (idk why I'm still even watching it. It's awful.)

You and me both. It makes NTR look like a class act by comparison.

true enough. luckily that series is 100% ero so it wont be covered let alone released in the US unless its from kitty media.

as for NTR. i highly doubt it will get released in the US cause its fanservice is definitely NSFW even for american companies standards. and even if it did, that as well as citirus would probably get the sub only treatment just like with simoun. its not as popular as other well known fanservice bait yuri series like valkyrie drive , queens blade and sin nanatsu no taizai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't even get me STARTED on Wixoss or we'll be here for another six columns.

I'm starting to really warm up to Steve.

jr240483 wrote:
that as well as citirus would probably get the sub only treatment just like with simoun.

On the plus side, Simoun being sub-only ended up making it absurdly cheap, which came in handy when I had to buy my third copy of the first disc. Neutral
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:

i actually liked WIXOSS. sure it had the whole incest thing involving the twins kazuki and yuuzuki on infected and spread, while incited was more yuri esque ala madoka magica, but their a hell of lot tamer than NTR and citrus.

also "BodaciousSpacePirate" , while simoun was cheap due to it being sub only, so was kannazuki no miko when it was licensed by geneon. but that series got a dub to its strong appeal. the same can say for strawberry panic which like simoun didn't get a decent welcome which is why its manga version got the large omnibus version instead of the individual volumes , and its as i said , psuedo ecchi yuri series like queens blade, ikkitousen , valkyrie drive , sin nanatsu no taizai & Utena already have a really strong otaku fanbase and their not afraid to show it which is why those series are still well known.

NTR on the other hand due its uber trashy fanservice at times is struggling to find its own identity. is it an uber ecchi yuri series crossing to near borderline hentai ala yosuga no sora?
Or is it trying to tell a story about two girls who realized their romantic feelings for one another despite having boyfriends of their own? while will appease some fanbase, it had offended many others cause of its fanservice. even the manga which is in the US tend to not figure out what its really trying to accomplish. its probably why that version that isnt a popular yuri series as say utena which is pretty much the queen of all yuri based series.

and from the looks of things, its pretty clear NTR's anime version at least is clearly on its way to be in the same levels as knights of lamunes. to be avoided like the plague and cause of that fact , it would take a short miracle for this series to be officially distributed on DVDs in the US let alone get an english dub like the other well known popular yuri series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
the same can say for strawberry panic

Usually. However, there was a period of about a year and a half when the series went temporarily out of stock on both Rightstuf and Amazon, and new copies of Volume Three were going for upwards of fifty bucks on eBay.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:20 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
NTR on the other hand due its uber trashy fanservice at times is struggling to find its own identity. is it an uber ecchi yuri series crossing to near borderline hentai ala yosuga no sora?
Or is it trying to tell a story about two girls who realized their romantic feelings for one another despite having boyfriends of their own? while will appease some fanbase, it had offended many others cause of its fanservice. even the manga which is in the US tend to not figure out what its really trying to accomplish. its probably why that version that isnt a popular yuri series as say utena which is pretty much the queen of all yuri based series.

So you're saying that Utena knows exactly what it's identity is and what it's trying to accomplish at all times, and doesn't play around with satisfying multiple fanbases? That's pretty impressive considering that Chiho Saito doesn't even consider it yuri, and to some degree believes that Ikuhara added lesbians to the anime because he fetishizes girl-on-girl action and fanservice. I'm sorry, but I don't think you've hit on the explanation for why Utena is more popular and IMO better. If anything, it's more ambiguous.

The vast majority of successful yuri, BL, or other such works deal with the tension of having most of their audience be straight. (Even stuff in the separate "actually for X" category like bara can get colonized by outsider fans.) It's something to navigate while making a work.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Quote:

i actually liked WIXOSS. sure it had the whole incest thing involving the twins kazuki and yuuzuki on infected and spread, while incited was more yuri esque ala madoka magica, but their a hell of lot tamer than NTR and citrus.

also "BodaciousSpacePirate" , while simoun was cheap due to it being sub only, so was kannazuki no miko when it was licensed by geneon. but that series got a dub to its strong appeal. the same can say for strawberry panic which like simoun didn't get a decent welcome which is why its manga version got the large omnibus version instead of the individual volumes , and its as i said , psuedo ecchi yuri series like queens blade, ikkitousen , valkyrie drive , sin nanatsu no taizai & Utena already have a really strong otaku fanbase and their not afraid to show it which is why those series are still well known.

and from the looks of things, its pretty clear NTR's anime version at least is clearly on its way to be in the same levels as knights of lamunes. to be avoided like the plague and cause of that fact , it would take a short miracle for this series to be officially distributed on DVDs in the US let alone get an english dub like the other well known popular yuri series.

I agree that it's unclear exactly where NTR is heading. If the story ends (it will be the manga sooner than the anime, I assume) with the girls growing up and getting married to men and still ~fooling around~ with each other, then I would just consider it guilty pleasure trash - although I'm sure that would satisfy the NTR /Cuckolding fetish crowd Wink

However, I feel like maybe it could end up with the girls actually admitting that they want to be together FOR REAL in an official relationship. This would be a more interesting and happy ending (to me at least) and perhaps that would be the "TRAP."

I'm along for the ride either way, because I like the character designs, the drama, and yuri fanservice.
ice_tea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
I am only watching this series to see how f**ked-up the characters can be. It's a bit predictable but it's a short anime so I don't care. I am entertaining myself by watching a trashy romance show and I know it's nothing more than that. I also enjoyed Scum's Wish so why not something similar again. lol
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Because in anime, a predatory lesbian is a stereotype. Maybe you've just been weirdly lucky and have never encountered it. Now, it's true that in most cases it's not quite as blatant, but even in fairly innocent shows like Love Live, you got a character like Nozomi [url=/rb1y4Upd_ek]who gropes the other girls boobs.[/url]

I've met a few women like that in real life, some at my current job. It leads to an interesting work environment.

People say I like NTR for the wrong reasons. That I'm supposed to insert as the guy being cheated on. No thanks. I like it for the shame or blackmail aspect the woman goes through.
mc55

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ, I hope you don't let the jerkishness of others prevent you from trying Citrus. It is a good series. I like both series personally, though I do like happy endings, so I'm nervous NTR won't give one. I hope it does in the end.

I am sorry you got that attitude shoved in your face, though I will say it's a relief to hear folks praising Citrus so much. I had heard that some traditional yuri fans didn't like it for being melodramatic somewhat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2