• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Should We Expect from the Sony Pictures TV - Funimation Deal?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
princess passa passa wrote:
Anime online streaming/distribution has gotten CUTTHROAT.

Meaning, business has now discovered it, and it's not the property of garage fans starting their own startups.

Let's just hope it doesn't turn into a lot of dreaming over investment by companies that don't really know how this "hip new market" works, just like the LAST Bubble...
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

The Crunchyroll deal probably isn't meant to last in perpetuity. Eventually, the time will come to decide whether to continue, and at that point, Sony might view CR and the companies that own it as competition. The partnership was created out of a mutual necessity (high licensing costs) that might not even be there later since Sony potentially gives Funimation a seat on production committees, and deeper pockets that can better afford other licenses. If there is nothing to be gained from working with another company in the same market, then they become competition.

This would mean funi getting back into the sub game which doesn't make much sense and they still get physical release of subs. Also funi gains cheaper licenses and access to a ton of anime for dubbed streaming and physical release. Even if you have more money it doesn't mean they should waste it on more expensive licenses. Once again I'm not saying it won't happen I just don't understand the reasoning behind the article. It is an opinion piece and I'm sure he has better insight then me but I don't get how he could reach that conclusion from the reasons posted.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Meaning, business has now discovered it, and it's not the property of garage fans starting their own startups.

That's not a new thing - the garage era ended when Crunchyroll was bought out back in 2013.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

The Crunchyroll deal probably isn't meant to last in perpetuity. Eventually, the time will come to decide whether to continue, and at that point, Sony might view CR and the companies that own it as competition. The partnership was created out of a mutual necessity (high licensing costs) that might not even be there later since Sony potentially gives Funimation a seat on production committees, and deeper pockets that can better afford other licenses. If there is nothing to be gained from working with another company in the same market, then they become competition.

This would mean funi getting back into the sub game which doesn't make much sense and they still get physical release of subs. Also funi gains cheaper licenses and access to a ton of anime for dubbed streaming and physical release. Even if you have more money it doesn't mean they should waste it on more expensive licenses. Once again I'm not saying it won't happen I just don't understand the reasoning behind the article. It is an opinion piece and I'm sure he has better insight then me but I don't get how he could reach that conclusion from the reasons posted.

Yeah, it really was a great setup. In addition they also got more licenses to dub (for streaming and disc) and release on disc with the set up.
matt78

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
The TV branch has also generally always had their hands in some good big TV. Even cartoon wise they've had stuff that hit pretty big when those blocks really existed, like Jackie Chan Adventures. They seem much more consistent then the movie arm.

I wonder if any of Sony's older animation will make it over to FunimationNow. Jackie Chan Adventures, the Real Ghostbusters, and Men in Black: the Series were all popular back in the day. I wouldn't mind Funimation giving each of those series a disc release either.

If Sony really bought Funimation because of their disc sales it would be pretty stupid of them to interfere in their operation. Of course this is big business and big business doesn't always do the smartest things.
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean Blood+ will finally get a Blu Ray release??!?!?!?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
I wonder if any of Sony's older animation will make it over to FunimationNow. Jackie Chan Adventures, the Real Ghostbusters, and Men in Black: the Series were all popular back in the day. I wouldn't mind Funimation giving each of those series a disc release either.

As an owner of the Real Ghostbusters DVD box set, I would not mind double dipping if Funi releases a blu-ray BOX set that includes at the very least the spanish dubbing (besides the original english one) but french and portuguese should also be included. They should also release a boxset of the sequel, Extreme Ghostbusters.
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
justin wrote:

I also don't expect much difference in how Funimation works outside of North America, since Sony Pictures doesn't have a huge distribution presence elsewhere either.

I actually wondered if it would in Australia lead to funimation discs being distributed via Sony instead of being sub-licensed to madman.

Last edited by _Quasar_ on Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:34 am; edited 2 times in total
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I expect some noteworthy anime titles in Sony Pictures' back catalog to get dusted off and get a new lease on life. The Cowboy Bebop movie, Memories, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Blood-C, Nodame Cantabile and several others would really do well with Funimation's treatment, and may get re-released.
Uh, FUNimation has Blood-C, and it's been out for like 5 or so years now, and they got the title from Production I.G (note the logo), not Aniplex nor any other part of the Sony conglomerate. Maybe you're thinking of Blood+ which Sony messed up with (that first box set going and staying OOP almost immediately after release, and the singles never going past that)?
FloozyGod wrote:
Given there is no Blu-ray release in Japan, no. And there's no reason for Aniplex Japan to do one, they only do Blu-ray Boxes for promotional reasons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They own a handful of smaller cable channels in the US, but internationally run Animax networks that are primarily anime focused (though in many areas they've been phased out).

Yeah, got pissed as a kid that much Animax got turned into AXN Black.
scriver058

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Quote:
I expect some noteworthy anime titles in Sony Pictures' back catalog to get dusted off and get a new lease on life. The Cowboy Bebop movie, Memories, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Blood-C, Nodame Cantabile and several others would really do well with Funimation's treatment, and may get re-released.
Uh, FUNimation has Blood-C, and it's been out for like 5 or so years now, and they got the title from Production I.G (note the logo), not Aniplex nor any other part of the Sony conglomerate. Maybe you're thinking of Blood+ which Sony messed up with (that first box set going and staying OOP almost immediately after release, and the singles never going past that)?
FloozyGod wrote:
Given there is no Blu-ray release in Japan, no. And there's no reason for Aniplex Japan to do one, they only do Blu-ray Boxes for promotional reasons.

HD masters of Blood+ do exist though, so you can't completely rule out a BD release, as they wouldn't have much work to do on it. There is some precedent for an anime getting a BD release in the U.S. when it doesn't have one in Japan; it keeps getting pushed back, but Fatal Fury the Motion Picture is getting a BD release here, and it doesn't have one in Japan. But good catch on the Blood-C/Blood+ mixup, which that has to be.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Not from a business/legal ownership standpoint but from a familial standpoint, this is kind of how the buyout works. Sony Corporation is the top branch. Sony Music Entertainment Japan owns Aniplex which owns AoA. Sony Corporation of America owns Sony Pictures which now owns most of Funimation.

If Sony Corp is the great-grandparent, then SCA is Funi's "grandparent" company of sorts and SMEJ would be the great aunt or uncle. Thus, AoA is the 2nd cousin of Funimation. If AoA had a subsidiary and Funi had none (like Funimation Films for theatrical releases), then that AoA subsidiary would be 2nd cousin once removed from Funi. However, as there is Funi Films, that hypothetical AoA subsidiary would be Funi Film's second cousin.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how good or bad the effects of Sony's buying of Funimation will have on the latter and their customers, only that big changes are coming. I just hope the positives will outweigh the negatives...
Woomy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
Hoping we can possible see wider theatrical releases for some anime films.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
Guys/gals, you don't need to worry for the first 12-18 mouths. Nothing will change. I'm an employee in a corporation that acquire another big corporation a few years ago and nothing changed for 4 years (must of the changes are happening at the former companies HQ). So again, for the near present, nothing will change.

Now, once Sony has full ownership of Funimation that's when the fun things are going to start happening. Kiss the CrunchyxFuni love story goodbye. Funimation biggest problem was no getting enough gravitas on FunimationNow and that'll change with Sony's help. They'll push FuniNow's subscription and put it front and center on the PS4. I can easily see deals with PS+ and others to push the streaming service pass 5M user (count on it).

I don't really see Aniplex in the picture right now. Aniplex as a service has been a failure. Most of their revenue comes from streaming deals. Sony wants to increase BDs sales so I don't think they'll touch Funi's market plan. They'll probably come up with hyper premium boxes but you and I won't buy them.

If I were Crunchyroll, . I'd review the contract with Funi and start looking for a partner because they won't last by themselves. Sony will let the IP exchange contract expire and sub/dub everything. And, with Sony been a Japanese firm you better bet that they'll get Funi in those Productions Committees and not even let Amazon/Netflix in.

Tbh, the last play is going to be exclusive partnership with the studios. Once that happens, Amazon/Netflix won't be able to do much. They'll Neff to purchase and maintain an anime studio in Japan without the support of the big publishers. The game is set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5