• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Aren't Tezuka and Ishinomori Anime Popular In The West?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0nsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
0nsen wrote:
If you can name a good anime from before 1981 I'm all ears, I gave up after looking through about a few hundred. Maybe I've missed something good, who knows?

It's a movie rather than a series, but Lupin III - The Castle of Cagliostro is pretty good anime#127

That's actually one of the very first anime I've ever watched. Scarred me so horribly that I quit watching anime for a couple of months. Like I said, I know a couple of hundred of anime from before 1981, otherwise I wouldn't make the bold statement that all of them suck. Of course, your mileage may vary. Other people report that the following anime are rather good, but I strongly disagree in each case and assert that all of them in fact suck balls: Gundam 0079, Nagagutsu o Haita Neko, Uchuu Kaizoku Captain Harlock, Gegege no Kitarou, Ashita no Joe, Mirai Shounen Conan, Ginga Tetsudou 999, Versailles no Bara, Akage no Anne and Cutey Honey.

@DmonHiro I'll give the new show a try eventually. Though, not because I expect much, but because I watch every available anime eventually. And "sweet kid that really wants to do the right thing" does raise a red flag for me. I prefer anime with neutral to evil protagonists. Like Overlord or Youjo Senki.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I've had both people and friends tell me they don't watch Tezuka anime specifically because of the art style. Kind of shallow. It's that whole "anime looks like this, not that!" attitude.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I tried to read and watch Black Jack and didn't care for it at all. My dislike had nothing to do with the idea that "all anime should look like this, not that". Rather I found that the serious subject matter and the cartoony, kiddy character designs simply didn't work together. The more I tried to read, the more irritated I became.

There is much too much anime and way too much manga to waste time on something I don't enjoy. I understand the historical significance of Tezuka's work and would watch a show concerning the roots of current anime with brief clips from significant shows. Watching a long TV series of the stuff, no. Life is too short for that.
Songster01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, as someone was a pre-teen/teen when anime of the late 1970s/early 1980s was broadcast in the US, the OP has nailed the reasons why anime was such a breath of fresh air to me. There was continuity and character growth, and the stakes were high because characters could get injured or even die. Apart from a few classic Bugs Bunny cartoons American mainstream animation was almost uniformly abysmal back then.

I can see why the fanbase now is largely from the 1990s and later, given how hard it was to encounter anime series or films in the US until then and even the later 1990s pale in comparison to what has become available in the 21st century. For me there was a near absence of anime in my life for over a decade (mid-1990s-mid-1990s) and then the growing presence of Studio Ghibli in NA and seeing part of an Escaflowne episode on YTV inspired me to try again to reconnect to anime by looking around for video shops that had a much larger collection of anime to rent than most shops of the period. TG I lived in a city that had one!

As for Tezuka, I vaguely recall seeing a couple episodes of the White Lion, but there wasn't the consistent access for me. So I associate Tezuka with challenging manga. I bought Vertical's edition of Buddha and enjoyed it despite my heart getting stomped on routinely. I also bought a couple other vintage series Vertical brought out including Terra E. I preferred the artistic style of Keiko Takemiya and other artists of the Year 24 Group to Tezuka, so I can see why in anime it would be even harder to connect to his work. I never felt bad that there was no Buddha anime, for example. And it's not that I hate the artistic style of all pre-1990s anime and manga; it's just that it was T's narrative skills that drew me in, not his art.

TL;DR: vintage anime to me were the 1980s sci-fi dramas of my childhood that OP mentioned; Tezuka to me = vintage manga that I wasn't able to access until Vertical began bringing out his works. T wasn't super compelling to me artistically, rather it was his stories that grabbed me. So no huge need to see them animated for me since they worked fine as manga.
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Songster01 wrote:
I never felt bad that there was no Buddha anime, for example.

Apologies for nitpicking, but there have actually been two animated films based on Tezuka's Buddha.
Songster01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
FinfoxAelia wrote:
Songster01 wrote:
I never felt bad that there was no Buddha anime, for example.

Apologies for nitpicking, but there have actually been two animated films based on Tezuka's Buddha.

Ah thanks for the correction! No need to apologize, as people should have the correct information. I should have double-checked that before posting. I guess that underlines my lack of need to see Buddha animated at least. ^^;;
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Songster01 wrote:
Ah thanks for the correction! No need to apologize, as people should have the correct information. I should have double-checked that before posting. I guess that underlines my lack of need to see Buddha animated at least. ^^;;

Ah, no worries then.

I've never seen the films personally, and I don't really have any plans to. They don't look terrible, but they aren't Osamu Tezuka's Buddha even if they put his name in the title.

Although, I suppose I feel that way because I am not a fan of trying to modernize the look of old manga. This is probably why I don't care to see new interpretations of his or Ishinomori's work.

Er, sorry. I went off on a little too much of a tangent there.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I tried to read and watch Black Jack and didn't care for it at all. My dislike had nothing to do with the idea that "all anime should look like this, not that". Rather I found that the serious subject matter and the cartoony, kiddy character designs simply didn't work together. The more I tried to read, the more irritated I became.

IOW, Black Jack takes on a dark, compelling case that challenges his maverick medical skills...and then Pinoko does the Home Alone expression again. Shocked
FinfoxAelia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

IOW, Black Jack takes on a dark, compelling case that challenges his maverick medical skills...and then Pinoko does the Home Alone expression again. Shocked

It's been a very long time since I read Black Jack, but I remember liking the cutesy art and comedy put together with the macabre subject matter. But, I understand why that sort of thing isn't for everybody.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:14 am Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:
It's the same with Go Nagai anime too. For some reason, modern anime fans view them as boring and cliche while they don't mind stuff like Gurren Lagann and Tokyo Ghoul which are influenced by elements from Getter Robo and Devilman. Even a modern upgrade like Shin Mazinger Z is still view as somehow too over the top and silly, but Gurren Lagann is okay.
What are you basing that on? I've never heard anyone say that. Sure I see some of his adaptations get bashed, but even people who like Go Nagi say some of the adaptations are bad. It's not like he isn't popular outside Japan, maybe not America where he only got popular with some older fans for some of his more violent titles, but he is really popular in the middle east, and I think there are some countries in Europe where he is relatively well known.

Nagai is huge in Italy.
Well my initial point was that he was popular outside of Japan, in parts of europe and the middle east. But it turned into a conversation about his popularity in America.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:17 am Reply with quote
Back in the 1960s, the original "Astro Boy" aired on NBC. While I don't know what the Nielsen Ratings for it were, it had to have been popular enough for it to air 104 of 193 (Japanese version) episodes on NBC.
niji9t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
Doesn't it all come down to personal taste eventually? I personally like older anime. Rose of Versailles, for example, is one of my favorite anime of all time. We simply weren't exposed to Tezuka and Ishinomori. People complain about the style being 'too old', yet have nothing against Disney movies from the 40's and 50's being outdated.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
niji9t wrote:
Doesn't it all come down to personal taste eventually? I personally like older anime. Rose of Versailles, for example, is one of my favorite anime of all time. We simply weren't exposed to Tezuka and Ishinomori. People complain about the style being 'too old', yet have nothing against Disney movies from the 40's and 50's being outdated.

Maybe some people, but I detest the old Disney style animation. I respect the fact that it helped start the industry as a whole, but it does nothing (good) for me.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
niji9t wrote:
There is a world of difference between an old low budget Anime TV show, and an animated film from the golden age.Those films and theatrical shorts from he 40s and 50s are unmatched by anything that has come afterwords.
Kirben

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
A major problem on the Tezuka side, is lack of English translations for manga. A wider variety of manga was translated to English, only after several kickstarter attempts. The limited book runs of the kickstarters, mean there is little chance of anyone even coming across any Tezuka manga of interest.

The anime side of Tezuka isn't much better, with many series lacking any English translations, or stuck with ancient horrible English dubs. Only the Black Jack OVAs and several movies are available uncut. Older series like Astro Boy (60s, 2003), Kimba and Princess Knight are still only available via English dubs. The lack of any recent English dubs, means even a series with wider appeal to families like Black Jack (TV), has no chance of even been seen either. I think Astro Boy 2003s was the last chance, but the English dub was butchered and the video was even cropped in the USA.

I would really like to see The Three-Eyed One and Triton, along with uncut versions of Astro Boy (2003) and Kimba myself, but I doubt that will even happen officially.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5