• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Live-Action Death Note Film's L Poster Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, they got Takeshi Obata's sort of edgy urban pretty boy look kind of down but why the lack of colour and standing in a white void? It kind of looks like a mediocre rap album, it doesn't have that Gothic style to it that original had and I'm not really interested in what they traded it for.

The thing that has confused me about their depiction of L from the trailers I've seen is that he looks so goofy and try-hard with that outfit, yet he apparently gives a speech to the press at one point and no one thinks it's weird? And why is he investigating the crime scene personally personally instead of getting an intermediary like Watari to do it for him? Does he even have one? That would just be a huge change to L's MO. Is he even a world famous detective in this adaptation?

It would be amazing if it turned out that this wasn't even the real L and it was all just one of his secret identities.

I'm going to check out the series but I don't have high hopes for it.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Everybody's questions regarding L require much gun-jumping and assumptions; a practice I don't see much value until there is a clip released or the film itself comes out.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Netflix's L is pretty hyper/energetic compared to the lazy original. His talking is also very rough compared to the cool tone of the original. Lastly, original L doesn't look like a ninja. All minor gripes.

Regardless, I think this will be good. Original DN was L and Kira's show, but this Netflix film will be a solo Kira spotlight and that's good. Just make him so evil moviegoers would throw their popcorns and drinks on the big screen.
Yuza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:

Everybody's questions regarding L require much gun-jumping and assumptions; a practice I don't see much value until there is a clip released or the film itself comes out.

Don't try to tell other people how to feel. Why even reply to their post when you're just going to act like they aren't there? The poster is supposed to sell the idea of L and the new version of Death Note. You can judge the poster - that's what it's there for. And we do have clips from the trailer.

It's highly edited and the actual series may be very different from it in the end, but the marketing says a lot about what how the production team are treating the franchise.
Yuza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Netflix's L is pretty hyper/energetic compared to the lazy original. His talking is also very rough compared to the cool tone of the original. Lastly, original L doesn't look like a ninja. All minor gripes.

Regardless, I think this will be good. Original DN was L and Kira's show, but this Netflix film will be a solo Kira spotlight and that's good. Just make him so evil moviegoers would throw their popcorns and drinks on the big screen.

Never thought of that but I don't like the idea, it goes against the core appeal of the source materiel. The whole concept of the Death Note wasn't just about the note book, it's a thrill ride and battle between a criminal mastermind and the world's greatest detective. That conflict made the story - The first one to find out the other's identity wins, and that proves they have justice on their side.

All they've really kept is the Death Note itself. It's a cool story device and has potential for other setups though, so they might be able to do something else interesting with it.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Lastly, original L doesn't look like a ninja. All minor gripes.

If you're talking about the bandana and hoodie covering his face, it's because he's keeping his identity hidden.
The rule of Death Note is you need to know the person's full face to kill them, and (from my memory of the series) L had suspicions about that very early on (which is why he got the fake L to deliver a speech with his face plain for everyone to see on live television, to test the theory).
That's my assumption anyway.
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:15 am Reply with quote
I just hope he doesn't speak black english (no offensive racism intended), a normal english is good but british accent would be better. It'll make him sound smarter.
Yuza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:49 am Reply with quote
traitorAIZEN wrote:
I just hope he doesn't speak black english (no offensive racism intended), a normal english is good but british accent would be better. It'll make him sound smarter.

If you don't want to sound racist say something that can't be interpreted as racist. There is no "normal" English accent. Even in America there's hundreds of different accents depending on the region. He speaks in the trailer, it's an American accent. I'm not sure what kind though.

I'm really sick of the Posh British accent = smart stereotype. The original character did grow up in England but relying on that stereotype would be a really half-assed way to act and write his character.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Yuza wrote:

It's highly edited and the actual series may be very different from it in the end, but the marketing says a lot about what how the production team are treating the franchise.

Surely not with the obligatory disrespect half the fanbase has been going on about and use with anything adapted from existing work.
traitorAIZEN wrote:

All the while he walks a fine line between becoming the "evil brit" stereotype.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
traitorAIZEN wrote:

So you call it "black english" but don't mean any offense? You also then basically infer if he talks like someone is who is black he will sound dumber than someone with a brit accent who sounds smarter. Intention or not that is what that statement infers.

And on that note we are going to forgo any more racist comments or comments that imply it and get off the topic. One comment, and responses to it, was already removed.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I am hopeful for this adaptation. Really about the only thing I've seen so far from the trailers that I didn't like was Light saying "we aren't the good guys anymore." That sounded questionable as far as believability. However, I think everything else has been good. I personally like how L looks in this poster, and I like how he has looked thus far in the trailers. He looks like a badass. I think that is what the American team is going for. They want L to look more serious and intimidating. We will see how that turns out, but it might be a very smart move. Remember, this movie is cutting a lengthy multi cour anime into at best a 2 hour run time. L's eccentricities in the anime were built up over hours worth of episodes. If we had only seen the first 2 hours of Death Note, we wouldn't have seen the weirdo nerdy guy that he was. Instead, we would have just seen a mysterious hidden figure who made his mark by publicly confronting Kira in front of the world, challenging him to kill off Lind L Taylor.

In other words, if we only watched the first two hours of Death note, we would probably have an L who looks and acts very similar to the one we are seeing in these trailers for the American version!

I am hopeful that these guys are smart enough to know how to condense 10 to 12 hours of L's character development into something that can be equally compelling in 2 hours. If that means L becomes more of a ninja, then maybe that's the best way to accomplish it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1