• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
JapanAmerica

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:32 am Reply with quote
Anybody read this book by Roland Kelts? In it he paints a dire scenario for the future of anime and manga in Japan and the rest of the world, because of that future. He mentions the fact that many of the titles we know and love are producted by a precious few writers, directors, and producers who are now getting long in the tooth and when they eventually die out there will not be anybody to replace them as the young potential artist in Japan are not going anywhere near it, because they feel there are no rewards in it. It's quite enlightening. I was especially surprised just how badly the industry is operated there, and how absolutely clueless most studios have been about how popular and successful their art form is outside of their borders to the point that some studios have lost billions of Dollars in subsidiary royalties because of it and are on the verge of collapse.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
That does sound like an interesting read. I'll look it up next time I'm at Barnes and Noble.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quote
It's on my "things-to-buy" list but I'm going to wait until it comes out in paperback (January 11th according to Amazon.co.uk).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1