• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal Anime's 4th Season Revealed as 2-Part Film Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
[quote="darkchibi07"]
Seriously, I feel like Sailor Moon Crystal is becoming one of the biggest wasted potential of an IP revival I've seen.[/quote]

Really? Worse than Rebuild of Evangelion? At least Sailor Moon Crystal is actually getting released...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I think expecting the movies to be 2 hours long or more is being overly optimistic. Off the top of my head with the exception of One Piece Gold which was 119 minutes (so not even two hours and you have to discount the credits), most recent Toei anime films (most anime films in general) have clocked around the 90-100 minute mark. I wonder when are people going to realize Toei doesn't care about this franchise and is not doing any effort in giving its fans something worth their time and money
Running Wild

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
[quote="darkchibi07"]
Fallenmessiahx wrote:
What does Crystal have to show for it to bring in new fans?

A 2D fighting game from Examu.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I can see it working but that is a lot to cover in a short time. The films better be over 2 hours each. They better not skimp the upgrades for the senshi.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to disagree with everyone who says that this will better then SuperS because for the many problems that season had, it was at least an interesting testing ground for lot of Kunihiko Ikuhara's ideas and techniques for Utena. (S had a more then bit of that too but here is where he really starts in earnest.)

Yes, the Manga Dream Arc did lack problems that were of SuperS' own baffling design: an even more convoluted and meandering plot, pretty much everything involving Pegasus, etc. But it didn't even afford itself the chance to make mistakes because it was plainly a product of habit and formula.

Aside from the expected cosmetic variations and a slightly increased emphasis on character study, the Dream Arc is pretty much the same Sailor Moon manga story arc as the three that came before it. It's boring, tedious and repetitive, and the only thing Crystal can do will be to make it move, for better or worse.

SuperS for all its failures still touts many of the strengths that made previous seasons of the show beloved, and even features episodes that I'd consider among the best in the entire franchise. And if you give me the choice of persistent banality versus an interesting if failed experiment that could have been more, I'll take the latter over the former every time.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
The Dream Arc is pretty short if you remove the side stories, just nine acts. Two movies should work fine. The end of Dream 5 is a natural place to split, with a shift in focus and a nice little cliffhanger.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those rare people that liked the SuperS anime (hated R...so much eww). Loved that the Inners and Chibiusa were fleshed out a bit more then, and some of the expressions that Ikuko Ito fleshed out were a pure joy to look at.

I'd like to hope that, as a movie, the animation quality will not only be more consistent but better than it had been in the first three Crystal arcs. That, and the lack of personality given to anyone not named Usagi, has always been my main concern with this revival.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I'm going to disagree with everyone who says that this will better then SuperS because for the many problems that season had

Oh, that is the other silver lining in Toei making this movies, just like we heard for decades how the manga was superior to the anime and crystal buried that notion once and for all, once this get released the argument of "but, but, but, the last part of the manga (which diverges from the anime) was better" will be laid to rest.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, dang. I was actually looking forward to this arc, if only for how very different it is from Classic. Having watched the Digimon movies, which I like but can easily admit to being very plain and simple in contrast with better, more recent anime movies, I am not filled with a lot of confidence here.
1dbad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I think the movie format will suit Crystal better than it does Tri. Tri is very slow, but Crystal is much more fast-paced.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested yet conflicted. It's obvious this is going to be better than SuperS (which was somewhat good but seriously flawed) but like what some users are saying, they might not be able to fit everything in and if they so cut out the development and once again push the Inners to the sidelines again in Crystal, I'm sure we'll all be pissed. AGAIN.

I mean, I'm kinda excited, but I do agree with CrowLia and NateSelwyn25, a part of me is afraid Toei could only be caring about the merchandise.

I also still cannot recommend Crystal as a whole show wise also, as two horrific seasons followed by a fairly decent series only gets round about a 5/10 or 4.

And if both films end up being horrible and kill the Sailor Moon franchise, then I'll probably say this: Naoko, terminate the Sailor Moon anime rights with Toei Animation and look for a better animation company, like Sunrise or Madhouse.

@NateSelwyn25
While yes, I can agree the Sailor Moon franchise sadly overall hasn't been brought back in a good way, (and I'd have preferred a sequel) the original Sailor Moon anime and manga are still there and an anime/manga series you can enjoy and buy on Blu-Ray/DVD, you can still watch and still enjoy the original. Confused

I mean, I hate the first two Crystal seasons with a burning passion but they didn't stop me from enjoying the original anime and some of the manga, even if my passion for the manga went down a bit.

And at least it does in a way, to me, Sailor Moon is still alive and cool.

And at least from what I know of, sales of the original anime and manga are still going well.

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
And if both films end up being horrible and kill the Sailor Moon franchise, then I'll probably say this: Naoko, terminate the Sailor Moon anime rights with Toei Animation and look for a better animation company, like Sunrise or Madhouse.

If the franchise is run into the ground, why would anyone else be interested in it? For starters, it has just been rebooted so another reboot would have to wait one or two decades. Unlike other oldies (DBZ, Mazinger Z, Saint Seiya) ratings have been low so why invest in something that might not reimburse the investment? Last but not least, it has been two decades since Naoko last worked on a manga, there has been zero talk about a sequel/prequel/side story for Sailor Moon, so without new material, exactly what would an animation studio do? You can't adlib animation and unlike series like Jojo (which still plenty of material to adapt) there will be no manga left to adapt when the second movie is finished.

If they had the money Madhouse would no doubt invest in their own late 80s magical girl (Devil Hunter Yohko), their are busy atm with the Card Captor Sakura reboot.
Seishin Jinrou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
It's ridiculous that they can't just [expletive] make a decent anime on a normal schedule; they sell enough plastic SM-themed crap to fund it, yet they keep us waiting for years and then produce it as an afterthought. The films should be over 2 hours each, but that is doubtful, they will probably cut stuff and Stars won't come out until 2025.

The manga was better then both the disgusting original anime and now, better then crystal.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle
Good point...

But it's just, I don't know where the Sailor Moon franchise is going at this point and I don't want it to end up dying, especially considering it was one of the best anime franchises (and I still say the anime is superior to the manga, I never understood why the manga's considered superior by fans and Crystal's made my belief of that shine even stronger), helped get anime into America and such. Sad

I thought it was Clamp working on the Sakura reboot...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
I thought it was Clamp working on the Sakura reboot...

Clamp writes it, Madhouse produces the animation, NHK broadcasts it and someone is paying for it (probably NHK).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4