• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cardcaptors/Card Captor Sakura difference?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NExclusive

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:04 am Reply with quote
I recently found this site that shows streaming eps of cardcaptors online and I have to admit i've become a little nostalgic,I haven't seen this series for near a decade and I always enjoyed it regardless of the butchering of the series in the dub version(ep. rearranging,cutting)..I've been contemplating watching the "entire" series in sub to see the difference but its a lot to watch for something I already enjoyed as a dub,what I'd like to know from some card captor sakura fans is,is it worth it to watch it again in the sub? is it really that much better in the Japanese version? or did the dub version really just cut out a bunch of fillers?
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote
I watched a bit of it in dub back when I was younger, and recently watched the whole thing in sub earlier this year. I have to say I like the subbed version better - I didn't like how they modified a lot of the character relations.

Also, I think they got rid of some of the episodes, but I'm not so sure about that. And that awful song - I still can't stand it. Laughing

If you're looking for the plot differences, you can find them HERE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
The dub changed the backbone of the show, of what I remember reading. For instance, it started on episode like 6 or 7. You could say the episodes before that were "filler" because all Sakura did in that time was get in fights with her brother, find a few more cards etc, but you could categorize most of the show as filler that way too.

Did they even finish the dub version? I didn't think it ever completed airing. Not to mention, trying to change it to "cardcaptors" would severely kill the last 1/2 or 1/3 of the show as it's almost ALL Sakura since there is no more fighting over the cards.

*edit* Looks like it did finish airing but with 12 cut episodes(numerous parts of episodes spliced around the place) and lots of changed/cut scenes. It's your call. The core of the show, young kids getting magical cards, is pretty much the same. Most of the changes are about places, people, relationships and a better timeline since Cardcaptors introduces odd plotholes with episodes out of place or things never being mentioned because it was too mature for the intended viewers.
NExclusive

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:49 am Reply with quote
well i'll give the subs a shot,might as well since the sub seems to get much more love than the dub,i appreciate the help people Very Happy
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:52 am Reply with quote
The difference between Card Captors and Card Captor Sakura is that Card Captors is crap.

Watch CCS, it's a MUCH better show, the dubbers stripped the entire soul out of the show. It'd be like making a dub of Dragon Ball Z that removes all the fighting and focuses only on the deep interpersonal relationships.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:26 pm Reply with quote
They finished the dub. I'm quite sure of that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1