• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: D.Gray-man Hallow Anime's Blu-rays & DVDs Cancelled

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Lordy. At least Funimation can still release them for us.

As far as I know, there has been no announcement of a home video release. Though, if anyone has seen anything that says different, I would really love to see it (not being sarcastic).

There hasn't been, but whether or not there was a Japanese release shouldn't be an issue, unless the Japanese themselves say so.

actually anime companies do not allow licensors to release home video releases before them, so funimation would also be on an indefinite hiatus until Japan releases their print.

Last edited by D00dleB0Y on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Only fitting. With the mediocre animation and the god awful switch of voice actors, this thing deserves all the problems it has. Who even does that?
Unknownsage13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Lordy. At least Funimation can still release them for us.

As far as I know, there has been no announcement of a home video release. Though, if anyone has seen anything that says different, I would really love to see it (not being sarcastic).

That's how Funimation make most their money. They wouldn't have bothered licensing and dubbing it if they can't do a physical release. Part of the reason why so many OVAs for shows they have go unlicensed. As for when the release will happen? Probably later part of this year or beginning of next.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Unknownsage13 wrote:

That's how Funimation make most their money. They wouldn't have bothered licensing and dubbing it if they can't do a physical release. Part of the reason why so many OVAs for shows they have go unlicensed. As for when the release will happen? Probably later part of this year or beginning of next.

You'd be surprised how often this is not the case. Sometimes they don't even get the home video rights(Tatami Galaxy and House of Five Leaves come to mind). Regardless of how important a home video release is to Funimation though, if Japan says they can't, they can't. There is no way to get around that unless Funimation thinks there is a breach of contract and really wants to destroy their relationship with most Japanese companies by suing them over it.
fuff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I have three theories:
*Number 1: Hoshino was disatissfied the series' content (heard she was partly responsible for it to the point she chose spoiler[a voice actor who did the work of the Earl and another super spoilerific character)]
*Number 2: The stuff wants the manga to come back until we have a volume 26 (though this could take too much time since January's chapter was only 7-pages long.
*Number 3: It just won't sell (although I'm not sure considering Shueisha announced last year the manga suddenly received a sales boost from 20 million units to 22.5)

can i get ur source for number 1
mierin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what's going on here?

I watched Hallow on Animax Asia channel and have been waiting to see how the BD/DVD sales figures are in Japan. I was okay with voice actor changes, I thought they were pretty good (even though I do love the original). Anyone had any idea what the pre-order numbers were before the cancellation?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many people remember that shortly after Funimation announced the simulcast of Hallow they announced they had acquired a license to the remaining episodes of the original series:
https://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/06/30/d-gray-man-announcement-on-remaining-episodes/
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
fuff wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
I have three theories:
*Number 1: Hoshino was disatissfied the series' content (heard she was partly responsible for it to the point she chose spoiler[a voice actor who did the work of the Earl and another super spoilerific character)]
*Number 2: The stuff wants the manga to come back until we have a volume 26 (though this could take too much time since January's chapter was only 7-pages long.
*Number 3: It just won't sell (although I'm not sure considering Shueisha announced last year the manga suddenly received a sales boost from 20 million units to 22.5)

can i get ur source for number 1

tvtropes (though I wouldn't consider them reliable).

By the way, the massive change in voice actors could be because they are expensive (Sakurai, Suzumura, etc.) similar to when Takei refused the Shaman King reboot. Nevertheless, I think Murase nailed the role of Allen even more than Kobayashi.

Last edited by tintor2 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
actually anime companies to not allow licensors to release home video releases before them, so funimation would also be on an indefinite hiatus until Japan releases their print.
Not always the case. Gangsta.'s Japanese release was temporarily halted after two volumes, and despite that halt, releases came out in Europe, and FUNimation's release is set to come out in May when the Japanese release doesn't finish until June.
http://www.rightstufanime.com/GANGSTA-Complete-Series-Limited-Edition-Blu-ray-DVD
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?45589&p=332539&viewfull=1#post332539
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?45267

So FUNimation if they're allowed to by the licensor (in this case, likely TMS Entertainment again), they can release it despite the fact that the Japanese release by Aniplex has been cancelled.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raikuro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Funi still needs to get the rest of the old series out first anyway.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I wonder how many people remember that shortly after Funimation announced the simulcast of Hallow they announced they had acquired a license to the remaining episodes of the original series:
https://www.funimation.com/blog/2016/06/30/d-gray-man-announcement-on-remaining-episodes/

Yup, I hope they can still do it (and this new season) as planned. Been waiting since the old releases LOL.

What I watched of the new season was pretty good.

Aniplex sucks as usual. Wouldn't be surprised if they did it since they don't expect it to sell gangbusters. They project the appearance of never caring about their "decent sellers," often even letting them go out of print (unlike most other companies), only their mega-sellers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2