• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's your favorite "Americanized" anime quote

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:32 am Reply with quote
I, mean when it's bad dub from ones like Naruto and Digimon to the most extreme like 4Kids, what quote do you like? I love (and miss hearing) Naruto say "Believe it". PS. how do I make topics that will last longer and maybe have dozens to hundreds of posts. I mean, those ones like Haruhi Suzumiya and Mobile Suit Gundam 00. Thanks.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:40 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
how do I make topics that will last longer and maybe have dozens to hundreds of posts. I mean, those ones like Haruhi Suzumiya and Mobile Suit Gundam 00. Thanks.

By not doing exactly what you're doing. Put some more thought into the topic before creating it. Something interesting and fresh is always nice. Good Grammar is also a plus.

Also, this would be a moderately good topic imo, if only you put more thought into the opener.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Currently: "Oh my God! I felt like I was having a dream!"
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Okay, if we're going to do these you're going to need to also post what the quote is from and why you like it. Also the original poster should add their own selections and reasoning in the opening post as well. The key is to remember you're starting a discussion, and to start a discussion you need to first take part in it yourself.

I'll let it slide for now, but I will shut it down if there's too much listing and not enough discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Digimon is a bad dub at all, at least not the first two seasons which are the only ones I'm really familiar with. The only differences I can really see in scripts are additions in the dub, which I don't mind at all. Most of these are jokes that were apparently put in to appeal to a female audience (and it worked, at least for me) and would be my vote for this topic. Even though a lot of the jokes were really bad, they were funny because of it. I don't have any exact examples, but anyone who has seen Digimon Adventures or Adventures 02 will dubbed will know what I'm talking about.

Although the cat jokes about Gatomon/Tailmon did get old.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh! Oh! I totally know what my favorite Americanized quote is. From Burst Angel, when Takane is attempting to interogate Jo:
Quote:
Takane: What's your name?
Jo: (silence)
T: I asked you a question, get it? Can the act Tokyo! You need me to draw you a picture? You deaf or something? Huh?
J: It's Jo.
T: Now was that so hard? Jo what?
J: Mommasfat.
T: Jo... Mommas... fat. DO NOT SCREW WITH ME! [snaps pencil]
J: Your pencil broke.

It works so much better than the original "Jo Curry-Rice". Plus it's got that I-can't-believe-they-really-used-that factor.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
The reason why I like Naruto's "Believe it!" is because just how irritatingly cool it is. Also, it' true that one should believe in what they love and put faith in it. That's how I became a black belt before I got kicked out because they felt the progression and learning the new things would take too long.
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
4kids is probably the biggest "interest pop culture reference here" offenders, but the results can be hilarious.

*Team Rocket dragging down flying pokemon*
James: We should try Weight Watchers!
Jesse: It's too late for that!
Meowth: I heard it's never too late if you just stick to the program!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Although the 4Kids dub of Shaman King is crap, it's one of the less offensive series they've dubbed, and had some funny lines. One that still makes me giggle is from whatever episode had everyone sitting in the restaurant with Lyserg (shortly after he joined the group). Yoh and Ren stepped outside for an argument, and then Horo said something along the lines of "Oh, great, Mommy and Daddy are fighting again." How apt Anime hyper

There was also that line in episode 41 of the Fullmetal Alchemist dub, where spoiler[Ed the townsfolk of Liore are leaving the city and run into Sloth:] "Come give mom a hug, my prince of cool." What the heck were they smoking when they came up with that? o.o
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
There was also that line in episode 41 of the Fullmetal Alchemist dub, where spoiler[Ed the townsfolk of Liore are leaving the city and run into Sloth:] "Come give mom a hug, my prince of cool." What the heck were they smoking when they came up with that? o.o

My personal favorite is Greed's nickname for Ed and Al: "The Smellric Brothers!" Laughing

Anyways, I find myself annoyed by Naruto's "Believe it!" as much as the next person, but only really because I don't really like his "Dattebayo" in the Japanese version either. But I am able to deal with it because of my hearing why it was done in the first place, and that was simply to give something to Naruto's character that brings it out more. But I think if you're going to translate it into anything, that's the perfect thing to do it with, because, well, it fit's his character! Wink But basically, I think it's a perfect term to fit what the Dattebayo usage is supposed to be all about, so a good translation there Viz! Smile
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I like "Believe it" personally. I like Naruto's VA in general actually. He's got a unique quality that isn't at all annoying to me. That said, there was one fansub episode I watched before it aired on TV because I just had to see the end of the spoiler[ naruto/gaara ] fight early. I have to say to say the original VA did a great job of bringing across a lot of feeling in that. I didn't feel the English dub was horrible there, but it wasn't quite as strong a performance.

That said I like how the English VA talked to Zabuza after spoiler[ Haku dies. ]

I think another series (and I don't have quotes at the moment, but I'll try to get some when I watch again to put in this post), that has some great Americanisms is Yu Yu Hakusho. Some of the lines in the English dub of that show were a huge improvement in my opinion (of course I'm comparing to the sub dialog, which tends to be more literal but can sometimes be more dry than it really needs to be).
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Murasakisuishou wrote:

My personal favorite is Greed's nickname for Ed and Al: "The Smellric Brothers!" Laughing

Greed was one of the few roles in the dub that I really liked. He had so many great lines!

"Hey, I've got a hostage here! Is everyone forgetting that?"

And I remembered an Al line that I absolutely adore: "No fair, sky! I'm the one who feels like crying!"
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
Greed was one of the few roles in the dub that I really liked. He had so many great lines!

"Hey, I've got a hostage here! Is everyone forgetting that?"

And I remembered an Al line that I absolutely adore: "No fair, sky! I'm the one who feels like crying!"

Oh yeah, those two have some of the best lines in the entire series! That one from Al you mentioned is indeed one of my all-time favorites. He just has that feel of wisdom and poetry about his character that you'd expect him to say some of the most incredible things.

Probably my all-time favorites from Greed:

Envy: "You must be the one they call 'ultimate sheild.'"

Greed: "And you must be the one they call..... oh that's right, you like to be called 'abomonation,' don't you?"

Laughing Laughing Laughing That's gotta be one of the best combacks I've ever heard!
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I don't think Digimon is a bad dub at all, at least not the first two seasons which are the only ones I'm really familiar with. The only differences I can really see in scripts are additions in the dub, which I don't mind at all. Most of these are jokes that were apparently put in to appeal to a female audience (and it worked, at least for me) and would be my vote for this topic. Even though a lot of the jokes were really bad, they were funny because of it. I don't have any exact examples, but anyone who has seen Digimon Adventures or Adventures 02 will dubbed will know what I'm talking about.

Oh yes, I do. ^^ In fact, the first quotes for this topic that came to mind were from Digimon 02's dub:

(As a large, purple Digimon storms through the streets:)
"It's big!"
"It's mean!"
"IT'S COVERED IN TACKY PURPLE!"

And immediately afterwards, the panicked crowd runs through the streets, they run past a police officer remarkably calm as he directs traffic. The dub has the policeman say this:
"That's right, people. Just keep panicking in THIS direction!"

It must be more than five years since I've seen the dub, but for some reason those jokes have stayed in my head and STILL make me crack up when I think about them. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree that Yu Yu Hakusho had a great english script. Recently, I rewatched the last episode, and one of Yusuke's last lines was something like, "You're gonna pay for that one Keiko - you stole that lip time from me, now come here!", which I think was so cute, and a perfect line to say after Y/K's first real kiss. Embarassed

In regards to Digimon, yes, the english script shredded the original Japanese version, but I still think the cheesy jokes they added were hilarious, especially for the first season. They add appeal to a series that otherwise could get a bit repetitive.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2