• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Where did "Vidar" get his Gundam? It does seem to be someone who was crossed by our heros.

Might be a rebuilt Kimaris. Or maybe he found another of the 72 frames and renamed it.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Refering to your machine as a partner rather than a tool is very common in mecha series. Though Vidar's comments earlier suggest maybe Ein is part of his Gundam somehow.

Just checked the subs and it says, "I was just having so much fun fighting together with this." From a Japanese language sense, Vidar seemed somewhat nostalgic when referring to his Gundam, which is odd considering it's new. My money is on Ein being part of the mobile suit somehow.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Vidar is a rebuilt Kimaris, that's why he's talking about it with nostalgia (just like the gushion rebake was this fat mech in S1 before they made it into the 4 arm version that exist now).
Batknight94

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
The new lore in this episode is such a great twist on classic Gundam tropes. I love that Mobile armor's were created by humans as super weapons with AI's that wouldn't hesitate at killing millions of people like regular humans, and that with the Mobile Suits being created by Gjallarhorn to hunt down and destroy them. Like knights in suits of armor killing dragons who'd burn down villages and gaining rank by slaying them. It really adds to the whole Sci-fi/medieval theme the show has been going for. It also makes a lot more sense why after the war technology like AI's, beam weaponry, and bio enchantments were restricted, as well made taboo in human society which caused technology as a whole to regress to ensure something like the calamity war wouldn't happen again. I also wonder if the AI's originally went berserk and caused the war, or if they were just following their intended programing, and if so why.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
Oh god. I think in this season they're is going to kill off majority of its cast. Sad
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
Good for Hush interacting with the Mika's group, I have no issues with it, he hasn't given me a reason to hate him anyway so I like it.
Shirke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
Some corrections for the review, Pluma is the name of the small Mobile Armor Accessory that was activated in the Saisei Hanger, Pluma meaning "feather" in spanish. The name of the Mobile Armor awakened by Iok was just revealed to be named "Hashmal", which are angelic entities from Judaism and Christian literature. Plus the review is titled 36 instead of 35.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
This episode definitely gave me a bit of a jump, with the whole introduction to the Mobile Armors being cold lifeless machines that don't hesitate in pulling the trigger, and then showing off Hashmal's crazy laser weapon as the episode stopper-topper. It sort of reminded me that Ein was slowly becoming a cold metal monster himself by the end of the first season, though that was credited more to his insanely misplaced sense of duty, which machines don't feel. Mobile Armors sound more like those scary ruthless knights in RPGs where you can see only red glowing eyes in the black void of their helmets.
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
The end of this episode honestly gave me chills. The fact that Mika, who so far has been a very...stoic(?) character, seemed absolutely terrified by this thing, was very unsettling. I could see the fear in his eyes.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next, it's gonna be a shit storm that's for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Characters like Iok have always bugged me, they're the people who do really stupid things for the sake of pushing key points of the plot, usually by screwing up spectacularly at something. And you can bet he's probably going to survive this series as well, unlike a lot of other characters heh.

Oh, and was anyone else suprised that mobile suites can actually survive that beam weapon? And it wasn't even a gundam, I was sure it was going to be disintegrated. Guess they designed them originally to take on the mobile armors so they're built to take it's attacks.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's only the tenth episode of the second season, but we're probably at the final battle already, or at least the start of it.

I highly doubt it's going to take them 15 episodes to take that thing down.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I don't think this will be the final battle. I'm thinking it will be taken down within a few episodes and McGillis will use that Order of the Seven Stars to advance his agenda. Well he all but said as much this episode. I'm guessing the battle will be the mid season climax at least. Ultimately the enemies in Gundam are always human and not purely machine. That being said, it may not be the last we see of the Mobile Armors, as if one of these things is buried, it may not be the only one that was.
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

Oh, and was anyone else suprised that mobile suites can actually survive that beam weapon? And it wasn't even a gundam, I was sure it was going to be disintegrated. Guess they designed them originally to take on the mobile armors so they're built to take it's attacks.

Yeah, it's because of the nanolaminate armour, probably developed to take on mobile armours like you said.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Going by the name of the Mobile Armor, it's probable that there are only a handful of them. Hashmal is referring to the Hashallim, one of the ranks of angels in Judaism. Going by that there might only be a few MA's left, because considering the havoc the Hashmal wreaked there only needs to be a few.

As for the episode, it's definitely fine on the action front, but this is one of the "cluster****" moments you see in war fiction where someone does something really stupid due to political bs and ends up making a lot of people suffer. In any case Iok is officially the stupidest character in the entire show. You'd think he would have at least gotten backup and switched into a different Mobile Suit, but instead he takes one shot at the thing and lures it towards a civilian area. This is not going to end well for him.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Iok really seems to just act in ways to advance the plot, I can buy that he didn't know about mobile armor reactivating when close to mobile suits, but thinking he could shoot it down with just one bullet makes little sense. Not the stupidest someone did this episode thought, Kudelia decision to stay in the city was baffling, the city doesn't all have to go to one place, the point is to not be in the city anymore, that means the population could have gone to pretty much any other point on the surface of mars and they would be okay, they can just drive away from the city and that's enough.

The beam weapon damage output is indeed very weird, first time it fired it cut right trough like a kilometers of earth, but now it can't do anything to the armor? That would mean that a gun that would be strong enough to take out a regular mobile suits (ie all the gun we've seen in the show) would be capable of doing even more damage than that. But then this means that Iok gun (which can definitely shoot down mobile suits) can't pierced the mobile armor armor, so mobile armor own gun is incapable of piercing its armor which is very strange. That would mean that when it was made in the first place they equipped it with a gun that was too weak to damage armor even at the time of its conception, not a very effective building strategy (and that's also going to make taking it down very easy if apparently its main armament is useless).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 47