• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Flip Flappers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I kind of perceived the desert as being symbolic of isolation, especially about Papika's isolation in her life. The masks were symbolic of the masks people wear to hide who they are. That Cocona was a villain was representative that in comparison Cocona did not have to work so hard for companionship (at least so far as Papika might have seen) and the conflict that played out was representative of Papika trying to connect with her in the previous episode and Cocona refusing. That Cocona was controlled by a mask is pretty much explained by her being controlled by an image she put up. The dark force was symbolic of pressures she might have that would influence Cocona to abandon or reject the childish Papika. The two friends were able to resolve things after having something to eat and figuring things out together. But Cocona's friend also throwing her 2cents into the conflict was also a part.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
besides klk the toher vibes this show gives me are yamibo, at first I was scared of it reminding me or }f rolling girls, but yamibo instead is nicer memories; I wonder if we will eventualyl have a miniarc for searching for eve.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
Loved the Mad Max-villains. Laughed out loud when they poured the water down their pants! I also greatly enjoyed the transformation sequences and laughed out loud again at the protagonists' JoJo -style of posing.

I know I'm being annoying with my yuri goggles, but Cocona and Papika make a good couple... Embarassed

(And I know the "I love you" -thing can be taken many ways, but I choose to believe in love! Laughing )
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:34 am Reply with quote
I thought I was watching Sailor Moon there for a minute when those 2 were doing their transformation scene.

That ending though.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Yuri Fan wrote:
Loved the Mad Max-villains. Laughed out loud when they poured the water down their pants! ...I know I'm being annoying with my yuri goggles, but Cocona and Papika make a good couple... Embarassed (And I know the "I love you" -thing can be taken many ways, but I choose to believe in love! Laughing )
Same here! Loving the yuri, sense of humor and hint at drama. Just caught up and glad I checked this show out, it's sleeper hit material in my book. Normally I roll my eyes at stories with innocent girls getting hooked into conflicts between not one, but two or more secret inter-national/planetary/dimensional/WTF organizations with superpowered girls bent on destroying whatever but where Rewrite failed miserably if you ask me, FlipFlappers (FFers? or just FF?) makes it work and makes it an interesting plot addition without getting heavy or ridiculous. And talk about food obsession, Ep3's planet looks like a meat-ball. Looking forward to next week! Kissu shite ku da sai? Wink
Greggo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
This show reminds me so much of Kaiba it's crazy. And that a good thing. Easily my favorite show so far this season.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Could someone explain how this anime was given so huge budged? I mean studio is not quite as well know, like madhouse, and the premise of : Lots of sakuga with random adventures just does not seam to be a project where people in control of budget is would try to drown animators in money!

Last edited by #862687 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
#862687 wrote:
Could someone explain how this anime was given so huge budged? I mean studio is not...huge, like madhouse, and the premise of : Lots of sakuga with random adventures just does not seam to be a project where people in control budget is would try to drown animators in money!

Because it's never aboud budget. Taking Madhouse as an example, One Punch Man not only did not have a in-Madhouse team except for Shingo Natsume, the rest of the team were his friends in BONES which also worked on Mob Psycho 100 (Yutaka Nakamura, Gosei Oda, Yoshimichi Kameda, Hakuyu Go and other freelances such as Arifumi Imai, Hidehiko Sawada), Madhouse was like the last part of that production commitee, and it's been repeteadly said that OPM had a regular budget for a TV series, it's just that the team that worked on it was SUPER excited to work on it and it was their passion for art rather than money.

Sure, I don't think having Yutaka Nakamura on a cut is cheap, but it's not as if the animators are the best paid in the industry, and SHIROBAKO helps us with that. The rows go as follow: key animator, writer, minor voice actor, production assistant, CGI modelator (I think), episode director, series director, chief animator, executive producer and A-list voice actor. You can see that most Key Animators aren't really the best paid in the industry, and there are only a few who must have the privilege of a higher salary because they do less cuts but they are specifically important ones (since they are usually paid for key frame)

In the case of FlipFlap, they just got people who wanted to work on it for the most impressive scenes. In fact, the episode director of this episode said that he got three people who wanted to work on the impact frames of the Papika vs. Cocona fight because it looked fun.

In short, usually the high budget thing is usually for voice actors, music and other stuff rather than animation (it can be, but not necessarily so).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
With episode three, we're finally starting to see such standard desiderata as cliffhangers, supporting character revelations and teasing shots of supposed antagonists. Still, its wont is to save such matters for later, keeping the significance of its scintillating designs under wraps in exchange for piecemeal promissory notes.

I will go on a limb and say that this is to its present detriment. Though the impromptu transformation sequence shows how wisely certain plot formalities can be disposed of or postponed for the sake of present spills and spectacle, it seem as if spills and spectacle are all it really achieves. Imagine a shimmering swimming pool to which the deep end is currently out of bounds, if you will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely a show that I would binge in a single day if it were finished airing. Waiting for new episodes every week is painful since the show is so generous with its revelations and keeps many of its cards close to its chest. I really do appreciate this, especially in an anime. I constantly have no idea where it's going, but in the good, exciting kind of way. It's generally pretty unpredictable and I can't say that for many of the other shows I've been watching. And even if it doesn't end up answering a lot of my questions, I'll still fondly remember it for its wonderfully buoyent and exuberant style regardless. Cocona and Papika's relationship and their individual characters are still as adorable as ever. And even though the animation was toned down this week, it was still just as pleasing to the eye as it has been since the beginning.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
This show's animation, sense of whimsy, and overflowing style are so grand that I will stomach the less appealing parts. This is truly a gorgeous show, even if I roll my eyes at the constant subtext wankery
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if it was good luck or bad luck the dimension opened just as they were about to leave the island.

The bird looked liked a Kiwi which is from New Zealand.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
Did anyone only just notice the strange way their school is built? That park we see them eat food or where the vacuum was earlier is actually the roof of the school, I at first thought it was odd that they entered a staircase down from there. Looking back at some pictures I spotted a picture that shows a shot from here that you see the other side of, the street lamps on the roof can be seen from the entrance. Based on some of these shots it looks like the school itself is built into a hill/mountain/cliff, the land of the surrounding forest seeminglessly transitions into the roof, with the pipe Papika is using is in that forest. If built this way it means that only one side of the school should have windows. This is from above, and this is from the front. But this also creates some weird understanding, as the height of the windows seem to be higher than the classrooms.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
I find it odd that Jacob, who criticized the gratuitous shower scene in Izetta, doesn't say anything about the gratuitous shower scene in this show. Granted the former feels notably more fanservicey, but it's not like the camera panning over Cocona's body wasn't awfully transparent too. I really wish they would do away with those useless male-gazey shots and the worthless perverted robot jokes (or the robot in general, since it doesn't seem to add anything to the story). I don't know, does anyone actually think "hey, look, that robot is getting horny from watching a teenage girl undress, hilarious!"? They're small details but they're making my experience of the show a little bitter.

Other than that, it was a cute episode as usual, and I particularly loved the final scene, whe the two girls hold hands while entering the Pure Illusion rabbit hole and promise to never let go. It was really really sweet and the color design of the scene looked awesome.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
Yeah, some of the fanservice in FFlappers is annoying. It's the one black mark on a show I otherwise enjoy unadulteratedly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13