• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Yuri!! on Ice English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrameFreeze100

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Sonny Strait wrote:
lazydude500 wrote:

It's also no secret that Sonny Strait often casts fellow ADR directors in his dubs in order to cash in favors later on. Almost everyone at Funimation does it now and then, but he doesn't even try to be subtle.

Hahaha! Well, it's a secret to me! Then why aren't those fuckers casting me? They owe me, damn it! The last lead role I was cast in was Assassination Classroom...that was over 2 years ago and I wasn't even directing then.

Generally the better actors are approached at Funimation to direct. That's all. I certainly don't get any preferential treatment for casting directors. Nor do I expect to. If that's how it worked I'd be kicking Bevin's ass since I have given him several sweet roles and that bastard has never returned the favor. Could you please write to him and tell him how the system is supposed to work?

Wait a minute...you're not the guy that got mad because I didn't cast Jamie in Prison School because you liked her "fappable voice" are you?

Question:

By your own logic then why aren't the following people directing more often because objectively they are better actors than you? They're also clearly available to record for these broadcast dubs too and have as much (if not more) experience directing than you do w/ better reputations of their past work...

- Brina Palencia
- Charles Campbell
- Eric Vale
- Ian Sinclair
- J. Michael Tatum
- Leah Clark
- R. Bruce Elliott

Second question:

Did that guy specifically state lead roles? I don't see those words. Seems like he implied that you would be cast in any capacity as an IOU which is better than no work at all.

In Maria the Virgin Witch you cast:

- Caitlin Glass (was co-director for all I know she cast herself)
- Colleen Clinkenbeard
- Jerry Jewell

And let's see in future broadcast dubs the following happened... coincidence?

- Show By Rock!! (directed by Glass) you were cast as Maple

- Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn (directed by Jewell) you were cast as BUER

Then in the Prison School dub you cast:

- Christopher Bevins
- Clifford Chapin
- Colleen Clinkenbeard

and what happened by 'chance' ?

- Daimidaler (directed by Chapin) you were cast as Nelson

- Brothers Conflict (directed by Clinkenbeard) you were cast as Juli

- Heroic Legend of Arslan 2nd half (directed by Bevins) you were cast as Tus & also Hausen in Gangsta (also by Bevins) *kicking his ass ain't necessary the IOUs have been fulfilled already

But maybe I've overthinking this right? Could've been as simple as 'hey Sonny you still here directing or recording more Usopp? Get in my booth when you're done I'm too lazy to audition someone else'

Third question:

penguintruth wrote:
Sonny Strait wrote:

As for my Lupin performance please judge me by the last series "The Woman Called Fujiko Mine." That was just a couple of years ago and I won an award for that.

Won an award? Relax. You didn't win an Emmy.

And that Fujiko dub was mostly carried by Michelle Ruff, Richard Epcar, and Josh Grelle.

If you don't mind me asking what was the name of the award you won? Quick Google search doesn't seem to turn up anything won for your Lupin performance specifically Confused

Final question.

While I'm sure many here appreciate the opportunity to ask you questions I do have to ask why you felt the need to quickly register and do this? You have social media; if fans wanted to ask you Qs they can do so there right? Seems like you're actually doing this more for your own benefit so you went to them ('the haters') if they won't come to you.

You're also easily offended when a fan like Penguin or lazydude don't like your work. I hate to break it to you but a simple well known truth is directors unfortunately can't defend their work publicly. Not only does it come across as slightly desperate and childish but it confirms that you failed to satisfy your audience. Tons of people hated Dawn of Justice and as much as Zack Snyder didn't want to he had to eventually accept the result. The infamous Uwe Boll often responds to his critics and nobody takes his opinions seriously. But hey it must be a conspiracy right? If he thinks he's great at his job then it must be true!

I don't recall any other Funimation ADR Directors rushing to defend themselves. Seems like you're still thinking like an actor instead of a director (the distinction between both is important)

Some fans like your work and that's fine but when the rest of them (a significant majority) have complaints and issues that is a concern. You can't just write them off as dub haters or being too picky. If you want to be told you're awesome all the time with no flaws then just make some home videos with your camera phone and show them to your friends & family. I guarantee they'll clap and cheer all the time no matter what the footage is. An old saying is a compliment from someone you know or someone is an existing fan honestly means very little. Get a compliment from someone you really don't like (then you know they mean it) or a complete stranger who's never interacted with you before (no pre-existing biases) and you know you're on the right track.

FWIW if you wanted to be more professional about this you could've set up a reddit AMA like Tyler Walker did recently.

I personally hope you do a better job in the future but even if you do improve I think it's a shame several dubs of great shows unfortunately had to be the victims of your learning process but when you're playing with someone else's money (Funimation) and not your own, it's fine to make mistakes right? Rolling Eyes

P.S. I don't think broadcast dubs have deterred piracy at all. At best maybe illegal downloaders & streamers wait a single extra day for their favorite thief site to grab the new episode off of Funimation.com
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching episode one and I gotta say I'm impressed by Micah's Russian accent! Defiantly not something I was expecting! Very Happy I'm liking the dub cast thus far. If it wasn't for Funimation doing Broadcast dubs, dub fans like me would have to wait so long to watch the new season of anime!
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
Vitriol in the form of "questions", directed at Sonny Strait.

Uh... So, um, do you actually WANT these questions to be answered? Are these LEGITIMATE questions? They don't sound it to me. In fact, this looks more like an open hate-letter. You even added a P.S.. You couldn't make this a private message? Oh, but if you did that, we wouldn't have seen it. Hmm. Neutral

All I'm saying saying is: Don't be surprised if he doesn't answer YOUR "questions". Razz

Last edited by Raebo101 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Glad to read Sonny Strait's comments on deciding whether or not Russian accents should be in use and all the messy stuff with Broadcast Dubs in general. After watching the dub of episode 1 (and the latest episode 4 on CR) my only real complaint is when the more "serious/dramatic" parts will show up.

I know that both Micah and Jerry have done dramatic roles before but, my fear is that I won't be able to take them seriously during those scenes because I'll be too focus on the accents. That's not ADR's problem; that's just how my ears work when everyone else has neutral American voices except for the "non-Japanese" characters. Overall, the first episode was amazing; Colleen as Minako was fantastic and she nailed her exuberant personality. Accents aside, this won't deter me from buying the series if (or hopefully when) Funi releases this on BD/DVD.

...I am a little terrified when the Chinese and Thailand skaters will show up.
Sonny Strait

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
@FrameFreeze100

Awww.. And we were doing so well. Well thank you all for the input! Hope to see you at a con!

Edited to remove overquoting. --willag
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Congrats, FrameFreeze100, you've ruined everything.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Sonny Strait wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
Y'know, it's really not fair how the Japanese can get away with not using accents, but you guys can't. I don't envy you. Still, I really enjoyed the first episode, so keep up the good work!

They can also get away with mispronouncing English but the reverse is certainly not true (at least to the sub only peeps).

It's weird. I hear Japanese using English all the time in the subs and many times it's not quite right or even dead wrong but I have never once thought, "How DARE they! That's not how you pronounce it!"

I mean why would I? To me it would be idiotic to think that way. It's not their first language so, of course, they are going to have trouble with it. That's why I find it strange when fans don't extend the same courtesy to us.

The argument about how we pronounce Japanese names really is a non-starter. It negates itself. I mean if you can honestly say that you don't hear mispronounced English in subs then you'd have a case. But as we all know it happens all the time.

It's difficult for non-native speakers to detect accents in other languages, so saying seiyuu don't ever use accents may most often be a case of people just not being able to tell. I mean really, how many people could recognize Spanish-accented Japanese if they heard it? I can get by in Spanish, hear a lot of it every day, but I'm not even sure what Spanish with an American accent sounds like, unless it's over the top parody like Peggy Hill.

If you don't speak and regularly read Japanese media, it's hard to know if the Japanese dubbers get a pass from English otaku for mispronouncing English or English names in dubs of English movies and tv, which is what you should be comparing. Maybe someone who does can tell us, but even if they don't, it might just be that they're too polite to be overly critical?

But seiyuu certainly don't get any slack from English speakers when they speak English in the Japanese track of anime. Just search on Engrish anime on YouTube and read the comments. The excessive Engrish in The Perfect Insider was raked over the coals as much as it was accepted for making the effort. And I'm sure you're familiar with "I am mad scientist. It's so cool!" Where they are sometimes given a pass is on sounds that don't appear in Japanese (like the trouble they have with V/W and L/R), though seiyuu constantly butchering L-Elf in Valvrave (or the name Valvrave itself) was mercilessly ridiculed. But dropping a vowel or shifting the stress syllable isn't something American actors can't easily do, so less leeway, I guess.

The other time some Engrish is overlooked (or should be) is when the word is no longer actually English, but has been imported as a loan word, adapted to suit the host speakers.

As for accents, I'm pretty sure if anime had characters from different parts of Japan without their appropriate accents, they'd hear about it from the Japanese fans. A character can't get away with saying they just moved to Tokyo from Osaka without a Kansai accent (or at least one that pops out when they're stressed). And even I could hear the Tsugaru dialect in The Flying Witch. I can also sometimes hear when foreign characters don't speak Japanese well (e.g., Food Wars' Leonora Nakiri who is Danish, or American gangsters), so it's not like they're making no effort to do accents. But I probably wouldn't have even been able to pick out those examples ten years ago. Smile
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:43 am Reply with quote
For the life of me,I don't understand why there's such hatred for this Jerry Jewell guy. To me,I'm just grateful that this anime's getting a dub at all. There are really great anime that deserve an English dub like "Emma:A Victorian Romance" and "RIN-NE,"which I hope that someday,do get the English dubs they deserve and there are anime like "School Days" and "Corpse Party,"which deserve to stay in the anime Siberia known as sub-only. I have no idea about the quality of this show. I just hope it's good,no matter who's directing the dub.
peno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
To be honest, accent aside, I did not see anything wrong with Jerry Jewel's performance in the first episode. He was great IMO.

Sonny Strait wrote:
Also there are more actors moving to Dallas from NY and LA simply because we have more work here.

There's still some work in NY for VAs except Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh? AFAIK not even cartoons are recorded there these days, so it's no surprise for me VAs from NY are moving to Texas. But LA is quite a surprise for me with all those cartoons and games recorded there. Not to mention even Funi is wiling to record in LA, when suitable.
lonergirl90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I actually like the dub version.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
Now that I've gotten to hear the second episode dub, I think I'm ok with the accents. I couldn't understand a lot of what the Russian coach was saying though. That's probably just me though.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
he was yelling through most of this lines, so that would be understandable. However, since Bonny Clinkenbeard is scripting this show and is the most faithful scrip writer funi has, he likely said pretty much the sames things he did in Japanese.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5