• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon: The First Movie Returns to 200 U.S. Theaters on October 29, November 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Since revisting the original 151 worked so well for Pokemon Go, this actually makes sense when you think about it.

I really hope they give out Ancient Mew again, though.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
The first movie and the third were the best. I just wish they would do remakes before they put the movie in theaters.

Remakes of what the games or the movies?

Because neither makes sense to do.
InuKag1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I am seriously having trouble containing my excitement right now; always wanted to go see it on the big screen again. I wonder if they have any idea how many 20-somethings are going to be in line for this movie
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
MY CHILDHOOD! I'm debating whether I should go or not.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's too bad the English-dubbed version of Mewtwo Strikes Back completely misses the moral of the story and tries to replace it with a complete hypocritical one.

4Kids was very inconsistent with story lines, so how should that be any different?
InuKag1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
MY CHILDHOOD! I'm debating whether I should go or not.

Of course you should, we ALL should!
romanmack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's too bad the English-dubbed version of Mewtwo Strikes Back completely misses the moral of the story and tries to replace it with a complete hypocritical one. Because otherwise, it's a good movie, and even the dub VAs do a pretty good job (always enjoyed Veronica Taylor, Rachael Lillis, and Eric Stuart). Unfortunately also, they used replacement music, when the Japanese score is excellent.

Oh, whatever, like I give a damn. Lol

I enjoyed this a lot when I was little and it will only serve as a nostalgia blast-to-the-past when I go see it again. If they changed the dub, that notion would be lost, hence completely making me disinterested in this.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
romanmack wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
It's too bad the English-dubbed version of Mewtwo Strikes Back completely misses the moral of the story and tries to replace it with a complete hypocritical one. Because otherwise, it's a good movie, and even the dub VAs do a pretty good job (always enjoyed Veronica Taylor, Rachael Lillis, and Eric Stuart). Unfortunately also, they used replacement music, when the Japanese score is excellent.

I enjoyed this a lot when I was little and it will only serve as a nostalgia blast-to-the-past when I go see it again. If they changed the dub, that notion would be lost, hence completely making me disinterested in this.

Well, the whole point of the movie is that both Mewtwo and Mew are wrong, and how being cloned doesn't make Mewtwo or the other "twos" inherently more or less worthy of existing based on how they came into being. But the English dub goes for a generic "FIGHTING IS WRONG GUIZ, STOP FIGHTING, START LOVING" lesson that misses the subtleties of the work and becomes hypocritical because Pokémon is about fighting.

It's kind of an insult to the viewer, like kids can't grasp the right lesson, so here's this watered down one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
romanmack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
romanmack wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Well, the whole point of the movie is that both Mewtwo and Mew are wrong, and how being cloned doesn't make Mewtwo or the other "twos" inherently more or less worthy of existing based on how they came into being. But the English dub goes for a generic "FIGHTING IS WRONG GUIZ, STOP FIGHTING, START LOVING" lesson that misses the subtleties of the work and becomes hypocritical because Pokémon is about fighting.

It's kind of an insult to the viewer, like kids can't grasp the right lesson, so here's this watered down one.

Perhaps, but it's not like Pokemon is this greatly written story to begin with. Hence why only nostalgia is making me bother with this.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy "Pokemon:The First Movie's" coming back to theaters. It's a pretty good movie with great voice talent. The younger generation should see this. Most of the "Pokemon" movies have very solid plots to them so this'll be a real treat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2