• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Live! Sunshine!! Tops Madoka Magica as #2 TV Anime BD in 1st-Week Sales Ever

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edl01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
Glad it sold well, Sunshine was great. Beautiful animation, funny comedy and some of the vignettes like episode 4, 8, 9 and 10 were easily the best things I watched in the summer season.
I wanted more Love Live, and I got a sequel that was better in almost every way. I didn't like the finale, but unfortunately that's not new for the franchise.

But in the end that doesn't matter - If people didn't enjoy the show they wouldn't have bought it. Anyone who thinks this in some way is detrimental to the industry and will stifle creativity is being incredibly naive. The industry has been like that for years, this season already has 4 different reverse harem idol shows and the year so far has had at least 10 generic Light Novel harem series. At the absolute most we're going to end up with a few more trashy idol shows.

Last edited by Edl01 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
OpinionatedWeaboo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
Glad I'm not the only one who thought this was very rehashed from the original cast. I thought I was going crazy, since most of my acquaintances do not see it that way.
I can agree with them that the studio is using a lot of new animation techniques and the new songs are good, but it has been referencing and parodying the original both in plot and characters/personalities, as if that was all they had in mind for Sunshine. I mean, for Christ's sakes, the plot became the same as the original around episode 6, and the cast hasn't been very "unique" since episode 1.
Was this really all Studio Sunrise could come up with? It's disappointing, specially because the original was very unique in every possible way. It had a lot of things it could have copied from previously released idol anime, but didn't. What changed? "Everything stays in the family?"
tentensan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Woah. You guys need to chill. It's just a show. Also, I'm SUPER glad that it's doing so well. I am a huge fan of the series and I am hoping for more. People say that it doesn't deserve this fame, just because they didn't like it. Um, to that I say "The numbers don't lie". If people didn't like it, no one would have bought as many as the charts say. The company that makes love live also know that this is going to make money. Call it a cash grab or whatever but if you actually saw the anime from a different point of view you would have seen that it did do something different. I keep hearing the argument that "They look so much like the old cast". I have to disagree. I find all the characters very different. I guess that's just how I see things. Very Happy
Also, with the plot, I can say that yes, some of it was rehashed. However, towards the end they let go of that structure. Also, there's obviously going to be a season two so, maybe we'll get a better season with more originality for you guys.

Just my two cents.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
OpinionatedWeaboo wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one who thought this was very rehashed from the original cast. I thought I was going crazy, since most of my acquaintances do not see it that way.
I can agree with them that the studio is using a lot of new animation techniques and the new songs are good, but it has been referencing and parodying the original both in plot and characters/personalities, as if that was all they had in mind for Sunshine. I mean, for Christ's sakes, the plot became the same as the original around episode 6, and the cast hasn't been very "unique" since episode 1.
Was this really all Studio Sunrise could come up with? It's disappointing, specially because the original was very unique in every possible way. It had a lot of things it could have copied from previously released idol anime, but didn't. What changed? "Everything stays in the family?"

I wonder what u would say of the original lovelive continued? Listen, it's not a cash grab. They were inspired by the first lovelive girls. It's not a cash grab. The numbers don't lie. For example, Naruto. Nothing new happened and it was an obvious cashgrab for that series (I still love it though because it was my childhood) but it got so overplayed. The moment things keep running for a long time the less people care about it. These girls brought something new and exciting to the table and not only that, even before the end (episode 10 i believe) Chika (orange hair girl) gave up on trying to be like muse and wanted to go on their own path. I have seen obvious cash grabs, LoveLiveSunshine isn't one of them. Examples of cash grabs are series that has ended but keep pushing out irrelvant things such as Naruto. If it was a cashgrab people would have ignored it. Sure the ending wasn't all that but overall it was a good series. And if you all want to see your favorite series at the top support it like crazy. So, all of you guys need to CHILL OUT. They worked hard so they deserve it.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
this is really depressing. I hate bashing anime but this one literally did nothing but copy the first season with different characters and music. It wasnt even half as enjoyable since it was just rehashing so much. Then the final episode wasted a ton of time recapping. So many other anime deserve high sales and this isnt one. It's depressing because it shows how little effort really needs to be put into "art" to sell well. Just shows what people really want are cute girls dancing rather than real substance.

Love Live! being #1 and #2 doesn't really encourage creators to shift all tone and shoot for the uninspired. In comparison to several other original works, it may not be nearly as original or interesting (even if I enjoy it), but it's still got plenty of heart for what it is, which helps push its success.

Madoka is still #3, and that's nothing to bark at either. No one is going to look at Madoka being #3 and think, "Whelp, that plan won't work anymore." I mean, when you think about it, after Madoka aired, a ton of creators of content made a ton of crappy "rip-off" works, too, just to try and feed off of the hype of dark magical girl stories. Even now, it continues to inspire several works. You can bet at least one or two decent shows a season have been influenced by it since it aired.

And on that note, both Love Live and Madoka (among other popular works) inspired a bunch of other creators to make similar stuff, but both are still pretty high up there on the quality list in their respective genres, and what comes as a result of their success doesn't necessarily mean they'll be dethroned by something necessarily uninspired or dull, let alone that the entire market will follow. The way I see it, the risks of creating copy content are lower than the risks of creating original content, but we will always have people making original content that surprises us (like how Madoka felt to me in 2011, back when people were complaining about the moe-blob boom... and even then, we have Steins;Gate, Monogatari, etc.). And even with copy content, the more that fills the sea, the less likely a work will stand out, which could even inspire creators to make something more original to break the mold. Maybe in the same genre, too (otherwise, why else would Madoka have made such a splash in the first place? It was most certainly not the only Magical Girl series airing before or during that year.).

So yeah, it's sometimes depressing to see lower quality work dethrone higher quality work (I haven't seen Sunshine yet, but I'm going to after I can afford to import the Love Live film BD--I assume Sunshine is at least worth the time to watch it, considering favorable reviews). But while it can inspire trends, and sometimes inspire trends we don't care for as much as others (I most certainly do not care for the anthro-girl mobile game-inspired works, as I do not care for war or weapons, nor do I care for zombie apocalypse stories, or most of these school-club-slice-of-life series), nothing has truly changed in terms of fresh new ideas coming in every once in a while to shake the mold and make things interesting again.
musashi345

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
For those who are critisizing that the show is similar the its original counterpart, well you are right - as well as most fans of the original series.

LLS will always be compared to the original EVEN if they decided to shift all characters and its story a full 180. Here's the thing, Lantis know this very well. Heck they are mocking themselves with all the teases, references and even plot they are showing from the very beginning of the show.

What people are missing is that they are trying to build LLS with the first season as it's foundation. They do not just discard the first LL just so the new LLS can take center stage (just as many of you are suggesting). LLS is very aware of it's predecessor success and instead of rewritting everything from scratch trying to top it of - LLS worked along with it.

LLS do not want the fans of LL to be left out. They are not forcing the new group into everyones face and expect them to follow just as how they did with the original group. They showed how Aqours respect Muse - that so that the fans of the original LL doesn't feel left out. This respect is concluded perfectly with episode 12 and as far as I know, no other Anime has done such feat.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
So yeah, it's sometimes depressing to see lower quality work dethrone higher quality work (I haven't seen Sunshine yet, but I'm going to after I can afford to import the Love Live film BD--I assume Sunshine is at least worth the time to watch it, considering favorable reviews).
I stopped watching after Yoshiko's episode(I've kept meaning to continue, but I'm starting to doubt I will), but it definitely did some things right. However, the series basically tied an anchor to its leg and threw it overboard by constantly referring to μ's about everything(even things that should be unique to Aquors are beaten until they can be compared to something about μ's).
OpinionatedWeaboo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
kiminobokuwa wrote:
OpinionatedWeaboo wrote:

I wonder what u would say of the original lovelive continued? Listen, it's not a cash grab. They were inspired by the first lovelive girls. It's not a cash grab. The numbers don't lie. For example, Naruto. Nothing new happened and it was an obvious cashgrab for that series (I still love it though because it was my childhood) but it got so overplayed. The moment things keep running for a long time the less people care about it. These girls brought something new and exciting to the table and not only that, even before the end (episode 10 i believe) Chika (orange hair girl) gave up on trying to be like muse and wanted to go on their own path. I have seen obvious cash grabs, LoveLiveSunshine isn't one of them. Examples of cash grabs are series that has ended but keep pushing out irrelvant things such as Naruto. If it was a cashgrab people would have ignored it. Sure the ending wasn't all that but overall it was a good series. And if you all want to see your favorite series at the top support it like crazy. So, all of you guys need to CHILL OUT. They worked hard so they deserve it.

How about you chill instead? Take a little time and concatenate your ideas together, because I can't read this mess at all. I mean I can, but I can't make heads or tails of it.
Also, repeating keywords doesn't get your point across. All I said was my opinion, and within it, not once have I bashed the anime: I bashed the studio doing what -for me- is a very incompetent job. Completely different things. No one can deny LL! is a good franchise, regardless of whether people enjoy it or not.
FormX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Registered just to say I'm glad to see a lot more critical opinions of LLS here; on MAL they just didn't see an obvious drop in quality. I mean obviously the production quality is better, but it did not offer what the original offered in terms of being more than just your average idol show and being able to draw people to watch it.

LLS ideally should have been something fresh, new and original. Instead, they decided to tackle the elephant in the room, the end of Muse and the comparison of Aqours to Muse. While that was certainly a creative idea, the execution failed in terms of writing. It quickly got old past the first couple of episodes and the similarities just sunk in. Aquors as a group, in terms of their identity, progressed nowhere until the second last episode. And the last episode they just blew it.
Quoting a legit summary:
"step1: Enter Love Live
step 2 Bore the audience with your sob story for 15 minutes, making every group who entered wait.
step 3 Disqualification and ban.
But Chika already knew this. So she ran towards the exit before the security can catch her, leaving her group behind like the leader she is."

It's a bit disappointing to see LLS being very well received just for being in the same franchise, but the promos definitely have to do with the BD sales.
Ejc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
FormX wrote:
Registered just to say I'm glad to see a lot more critical opinions of LLS here; on MAL they just didn't see an obvious drop in quality. I mean obviously the production quality is better, but it did not offer what the original offered in terms of being more than just your average idol show and being able to draw people to watch it.

LLS ideally should have been something fresh, new and original. Instead, they decided to tackle the elephant in the room, the end of Muse and the comparison of Aqours to Muse. While that was certainly a creative idea, the execution failed in terms of writing. It quickly got old past the first couple of episodes and the similarities just sunk in. Aquors as a group, in terms of their identity, progressed nowhere until the second last episode. And the last episode they just blew it.
Quoting a legit summary:
"step1: Enter Love Live
step 2 Bore the audience with your sob story for 15 minutes, making every group who entered wait.
step 3 Disqualification and ban.
But Chika already knew this. So she ran towards the exit before the security can catch her, leaving her group behind like the leader she is."

It's a bit disappointing to see LLS being very well received just for being in the same franchise, but the promos definitely have to do with the BD sales.

First and foremost, anime is an entertainment medium. It is obvious that the real fans found something worth spending their hard earned money (yes, many anime fans do actually work to afford such an expensive hobby, contrary to the idiotic stereotypes you see on Western forums).

All I see with all this whining is a lot of people who can't handle that LLSS outsold their favourite anime. The fact is that Japanese fans look at a wider range of issues (enjoyment factor, rewatchability, story, characters, character interaction, BGM, animation, artwork, seiyuu performance, etc) before committing to buying an anime, rather than just look at one single thing. You guys can continue to act like wannabe critics, which I find incredibly amusing to read. Anyway, i've wasted enough time on here. I will not be replying to any posts in reply to my post, if they contain any rubbish. Carry on.
izariel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Congrats for LLS! It's an amazing achievement despite many members here are hate it's "quality".

I watched both series (original and sunshine) both are nice, BUT, I enjoyed sunshine more. the animation is great, story is better written, songs are great too. Characters are unique too, despite some of them are pretty much anime archetype, like Chuuni Yoshiko, a character trope that has been used on Rikka. But I guess all anime right now are pretty much like this.

Japan markets are now more fond to Idol anime. idolm@ster's product also huge sells in Japan too. While this anime isn't as good as OPM or PMMM in terms of humor and storyline depth, Still, a great achievement to even beat the candidate of AotY, Re:Zero
Velshtein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Ejc wrote:
First and foremost, anime is an entertainment medium. It is obvious that the real fans found something worth spending their hard earned money (yes, many anime fans do actually work to afford such an expensive hobby, contrary to the idiotic stereotypes you see on Western forums).

All I see with all this whining is a lot of people who can't handle that LLSS outsold their favourite anime. The fact is that Japanese fans look at a wider range of issues (enjoyment factor, rewatchability, story, characters, character interaction, BGM, animation, artwork, seiyuu performance, etc) before committing to buying an anime, rather than just look at one single thing. You guys can continue to act like wannabe critics, which I find incredibly amusing to read. Anyway, i've wasted enough time on here. I will not be replying to any posts in reply to my post, if they contain any rubbish. Carry on.

Nothing in your post engages with the legitimate criticisms of LLS that people have presented. There's nothing inappropriate, disingenuous, or "whining" about bemoaning where the show failed to deliver. Like it or not, LLS did little more than ride the coattails of the original LL for eleven of its thirteen episodes. It was an obvious cash grab of a show that failed to even establish a unique identity for itself until the show was pretty much over with. In the future, try actually addressing the points of people you disagree with rather than posting empty ramblings and storming off.
Zimba

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
The absolute cash cow!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2