• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pokémon Go to Add 'Buddy Pokémon' Feature

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo should take the property away from Niantic, they obviously have no idea how to manage this. TOP priority right now should be interactivity between players.
Badcrazy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Nintendo should take the property away from Niantic, they obviously have no idea how to manage this. TOP priority right now should be interactivity between players.

Doing this would mean taking down the game...
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
"My buddy, my buddy...my buddy and mee...."

Will this work like Heart Gold/Soul Silver where your buddy Pokémon follows your avatar around? Sounds fun. Wouldn't mind having a Pokémon tagalong as I go about on my daily jaunts.

Still would like to have interactivity more, but I'm appreciative of any updates we get...
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I stop playing already. This game will be stay mindlessly catch Pokemon and do nothing. With this unnecessary update, it wont make people stay long with this hype.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
They should try adding actual gameplay content instead of gimmicky BS. Seriously the only use for the appraisal "feature" is to name a pokemon "penis" and giggle at the appraisal. How about working on trainers being able to challenge each other, trading pokemon, a combat system that doesn't suck, a gym system that is slightly more difficult so it doesn't trade hands every three minutes, a training system that isn't four times harder than the gym system... If this was a traditional RPG the whole game would be
1. kill wild boars to level up
2. go to dungeon easily defeat boss
3. boss reappears only more powerful as soon as you leave
4. repeat 1-3
No quests, no interaction, no sense of accomplishment, just grind, grind, grind.

This game had so much potential but they squandered it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Badcrazy wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:

Doing this would mean taking down the game...

Plus, last time I checked, Nintendo didn't create Pokémon; they only published it.

Anyhow...This Buddy Pokémon feature looks fun; I can't wait to see some interesting stuff coming from it. Smile
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:10 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

Speak for yourself.

You know what I wanted more than anything (aside from non-Gen I Pokemon) in Pokemon GO? A better system of leveling up/evolving Pokemon than catching more of the same Pokemon (because some Pokemon you will run into only once in a blue moon).

This feature will give you candy for the buddy Pokemon without catching any more of the same species. I'm very glad to see them beginning to address this issue.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
This feature will give you candy for the buddy Pokemon without catching any more of the same species. I'm very glad to see them beginning to address this issue.

The article did not quote that part. I agree if buddy Pokemon can get more candies to help level them, then this is a very useful feature. (altho, Stardust is still a grind issue unless it gives that too)

I retract my earlier criticism if this provides candy, but the game does really need better player interactivity to maintain users. I also agree that it sucks that you can't even really defend a gym you hold, even if you sit there.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

The article did not quote that part. I agree if buddy Pokemon can get more candies to help level them, then this is a very useful feature. (altho, Stardust is still a grind issue unless it gives that too)

I retract my earlier criticism if this provides candy, but the game does really need better player interactivity to maintain users. I also agree that it sucks that you can't even really defend a gym you hold, even if you sit there.

I was skeptical of it at first, as well. However, I recently saw it stated directly through the official US Pokemon GO Facebook page.
vision33r

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
The endgame sucks, unless they didn't expect people to catch em all. It doesn't matter anyways, the gym battles are mindless and pointless. I can put any Pokemon in there and it will be kicked out by some decked out Vaporean.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
fathergoat wrote:
They should try adding actual gameplay content instead of gimmicky BS. Seriously the only use for the appraisal "feature" is to name a pokemon "penis" and giggle at the appraisal. How about working on trainers being able to challenge each other, trading pokemon, a combat system that doesn't suck, a gym system that is slightly more difficult so it doesn't trade hands every three minutes, a training system that isn't four times harder than the gym system... If this was a traditional RPG the whole game would be
1. kill wild boars to level up
2. go to dungeon easily defeat boss
3. boss reappears only more powerful as soon as you leave
4. repeat 1-3
No quests, no interaction, no sense of accomplishment, just grind, grind, grind.

This game had so much potential but they squandered it.

Pokémon GO is pretty much mobile gaming in a nutshell. This simplicity is also why mobile gaming is so popular: It has such an absurdly low barrier of entry. I've heard from people who are really into Pokémon GO that this game appeals to them because the regular Pokémon games are too complicated and inaccessible.

Don't forget the legions of Pokémon players, or aspiring Pokémon players, who only want to collect and have no interest in battling other people. Or even battling, for that matter. I've met plenty of people who got into Pokémon to fill their Pokédexes, and personally, I think it's a good thing this is a big part of Pokémon, because it's something people can do at their own pace without worrying about anyone else.

vision33r wrote:
The endgame sucks, unless they didn't expect people to catch em all. It doesn't matter anyways, the gym battles are mindless and pointless. I can put any Pokemon in there and it will be kicked out by some decked out Vaporean.

Arcanines and Dragonites dominate my local area.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to this feature. I'm curious if your Pokemon will follow you on the map, but even if that doesn't happen, the bonuses for having a Pokemon as a buddy is going to be awesome. Definitely going to make my Vaporeon my first buddy.

... Which I'm sure a lot of people will considering its one of the better Pokemon out there, but since Vaporeon is my second favorite Eeveelution (first is Espeon), I'd love it if she'd be my first buddy. ^^
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
"My buddy, my buddy...my buddy and mee...."

Will this work like Heart Gold/Soul Silver where your buddy Pokémon follows your avatar around? Sounds fun. Wouldn't mind having a Pokémon tagalong as I go about on my daily jaunts.

Still would like to have interactivity more, but I'm appreciative of any updates we get...

Just imagine Snorlax bumbling along behind you Laughing
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Although this new buddy feature sounds like fun it still can't make up for all of the problems that exist in Pokémon Go and until Niantic fixes those problems Pokémon Go will never be anything more than a big waste of time. Rolling Eyes
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
It's a dope little feature but this game has too many NECESSARY features still missing, also rural areas aren't even relevant to the game which defies the concept of "go out and explore the world" because all you are gonna do is walk to the next McDonald's and see cities which are certainly not the best part of our world
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2