• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. Anime Gets English Dub With Jeff Nimoy Reprising Role

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
I am just hoping everyone keeps their English Dub names since those the names i personally prefer and grew up with.

I was kinda hoping they would use their original Japanese names this time around. Those who watched Digimon back in the day are adults now, myself included, and wouldn't mind calling them by their un-Americanized names.

No it would be horrible for me, for example i could never see myself calling Ash(satoshi), Misty(Kasumi), or Brock(Takeshi). The Japanese names just don't resonate with me so i personally hope they keep the Americanized names for continuity,
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering who picked up the films of Digimon Adventure tri. and how they will be handled... The seasonal shows' English versions of Digimon have been been altered drastically when they debuted on TV years earlier, through arbitrary renaming of most characters and even completely changing the script from the original in some cases. I'm hoping at the least that the characters will keep their Japanese names intact this time, although I'm not holding my breath on that.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I'm wondering who picked up the films of Digimon Adventure tri. and how they will be handled... The seasonal shows' English versions of Digimon have been been altered drastically when they debuted on TV years earlier, through arbitrary renaming of most characters and even completely changing the script from the original in some cases. I'm hoping at the least that the characters will keep their Japanese names intact this time, although I'm not holding my breath on that.

Here in America we are very nostalgic, so using the Japanese names would be a no go since it would mess with continuity. Just like the upcoming Yugioh move and Power Rangers move sticking with the original names we American fans are used to.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
I am just hoping everyone keeps their English Dub names since those the names i personally prefer and grew up with.

No it would be horrible for me, for example i could never see myself calling Ash(satoshi), Misty(Kasumi), or Brock(Takeshi). The Japanese names just don't resonate with me so i personally hope they keep the Americanized names for continuity,

If you don't mind me asking a question... have you given the original Japanese version a chance?

I grew up with the dubs of shows like Yu-Gi-Oh!, Sailor Moon, Digimon and Cardcaptor Sakura as well (both the Chinese and English dubs), but the unaltered versions just blew me away and left a far greater impact on me. There were more sincere, well put together, cohesive, mature, heartfelt and more. They didn't condescend to their audience, which is something I truly appreciate. Now, I love those shows even more.

Seriously, do give them a try.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:

I was kinda hoping they would use their original Japanese names this time around. Those who watched Digimon back in the day are adults now, myself included, and wouldn't mind calling them by their un-Americanized names.

They changed Sailor Moon back to their original names.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
KH91 wrote:
Awesome. Now the question is...will there be edits?

Saban Brands has stepped away from the franchise and, like Freyanne said, this is unlikely to air on TV. So it'll hopefully be uncut.

From what I recall Jeff Nemoy was the man who was considered the mastermind behind the atrocious American dub, so even if Saban aren't involved having him on board isn't a good sign, especially the fact he's reprising his role which indicates this won't be like Viz's redub of Sailor Moon which tried to distance themselves from the original dub as much as possible. This one seems all for embracing the terribleness of yesteryear.

-Stuart Smith
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'd like it if they used all the Japanese music, but use the dub terminology, attack, and Digimon names (Gatomon, Digivolve), and use the Japanese names most of the time but use the dub nicknames occasionally when using nicknames would be appropriate.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Personally, I'd like it if they used all the Japanese music, but use the dub terminology, attack, and Digimon names (Gatomon, Digivolve), and use the Japanese names most of the time but use the dub nicknames occasionally when using nicknames would be appropriate.

Oh no the american digimon music in my opinion was much better, there is nothing more iconic than DIGIMON DIGITAL MONSTERS, Run Around, and Change into power.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
veemonjosh wrote:
KH91 wrote:
Awesome. Now the question is...will there be edits?

Saban Brands has stepped away from the franchise and, like Freyanne said, this is unlikely to air on TV. So it'll hopefully be uncut.

From what I recall Jeff Nemoy was the man who was considered the mastermind behind the atrocious American dub, so even if Saban aren't involved having him on board isn't a good sign, especially the fact he's reprising his role which indicates this won't be like Viz's redub of Sailor Moon which tried to distance themselves from the original dub as much as possible. This one seems all for embracing the terribleness of yesteryear.

-Stuart Smith

If you had read it, Jeff said that he won't be directing or writing
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

Oh no the american digimon music in my opinion was much better, there is nothing more iconic than DIGIMON DIGITAL MONSTERS, Run Around, and Change into power.

I'm sorry, but some guy chanting "Digimon Digital Monsters Digimons are the Champions" doesn't hold a candle to Butter-fly and Brave Heart.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

I'm sorry, but some guy chanting "Digimon Digital Monsters Digimons are the Champions" doesn't hold a candle to Butter-fly and Brave Heart.

To each their own but whichever one of those is the digivolution song just doesn't get me as hyped as the DIGIMON DIGITAL MONSTERS theme does.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
As someone who grew up on the dub and watched a subbed version as an adult, I'm of the opinion that the original score should be kept but the dub's names and terminology should be used.

Even after watching the subbed version, I still mentally connect those characters to the names Matt, TK, Gatomon, Omnimon, etc. rather than Yamato, Takeru, Tailmon, Omegamon, etc., and a dub not using those names would just feel bizarre to me.

Also, "digivolve" is a much cooler thing to say than just "evolve".
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm Reply with quote
KefkaesqueXIII wrote:
As someone who grew up on the dub and watched a subbed version as an adult, I'm of the opinion that the original score should be kept but the dub's names and terminology should be used.

Even after watching the subbed version, I still mentally connect those characters to the names Matt, TK, Gatomon, Omnimon, etc. rather than Yamato, Takeru, Tailmon, Omegamon, etc., and a dub not using those names would just feel bizarre to me.

Also, "digivolve" is a much cooler thing to say than just "evolve".

Agreed, but maybe with English lyrics for Braveheart and Butterfly.

They might be doing the same thing as the Japanese version and having the Digimon VAs reprise their roles where possible, but recasting the human VAs.

Edit: Looks like I was right, but I can't find the original post. Maybe he had to take it down.

http://cookingcaveman.tumblr.com/
Freyanne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I loved watching Digimon Adventure in Japanese and in English, and it wouldnt matter to me if they used the JPN names for them. I would still refer to them as Tai, Matt, Izzy, Kari, ect. And this is coming from someone that now refers to the Sailor Moon characters as their JPN names, save for a couple of them.
Would it actually be a serious deal-breaker for people if the dub for Tri actually kept the US names for the cast? I really didn't even know fans were that hardcore about the name changes for Digimon Adventure, compared to other series that had the dub treatment. At least the dub names for the main characters of Adventure are similar to, or the same as, their original Japanese names.

I really dont think the dub is going to get edited that much, if at all. I honestly can't think of a channel in the States that would even air it, other than maybe Toonami (and I'm not even sure they'd do that).

SnowWarren wrote:

Agreed, but maybe with English lyrics for Braveheart and Butterfly.

Only issue with that is you'll get upset fans who demand those two songs stay in Japanese. But then again, I am pretty sure with this dub, you really can't please everyone.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
I loved watching Digimon Adventure in Japanese and in English, and it wouldnt matter to me if they used the JPN names for them. I would still refer to them as Tai, Matt, Izzy, Kari, ect. And this is coming from someone that now refers to the Sailor Moon characters as their JPN names, save for a couple of them.
Would it actually be a serious deal-breaker for people if the dub for Tri actually kept the US names for the cast? I really didn't even know fans were that hardcore about the name changes for Digimon Adventure, compared to other series that had the dub treatment. At least the dub names for the main characters of Adventure are similar to, or the same as, their original Japanese names..

I didn't grow up with the American dub, and I'm sure everyone in other countries did not either. It would be yet another case of English-speaking people in non American countries getting the short end of the stick. As someone who grew up with a dub that was faithful to the show I have no nostalgic ties to name changes or music changes. It's definitely a deal-breaker and I won't be supporting in this dub if it's just going to appeal to people who watched it on Fox as a kid rather than actual fans of Digimon who've been with the series from Japan their entire lives. Name changes are never acceptable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5