• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Akame ga Kill Blu-Ray [2016-05-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I liked Akame ga Kill. It hooked me in the beginning with its premise. While sad, I had no real problem with the die off of characters. It is a touch of reality.

Not the greatest show on Earth, but it was fun to watch.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I liked Akame ga Kill. It hooked me in the beginning with its premise. While sad, I had no real problem with the die off of characters. It is a touch of reality.

Not the greatest show on Earth, but it was fun to watch.

Negative outcomes to a plot aren't necessarily more "realistic". Cynical, yes, but characters surviving great odds isn't a childish fantasy.

I think that's Akame Ga Kill's biggest underlining problem that feeds into the "12-year-olds with a typewriter" feel Top Gun talked about: it throws mature imagery into the mix, but doesn't handle them maturely in any capacity. Sure, a "kill-'em-all" ending is dark, but if it doesn't say anything greater than that, you've kinda just wasted a few hours of our time.

I'm surprised more people aren't angrier at this show, come to think of it. People were livid over how the Soul Eater anime ended, this show is basically a shaggy dog story.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:41 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed every single episode of so i dont really get why people hate it so much an easy A in my opinion and somethin you should watch if your an anime fan because AgK will give that somethin new which ya dont often see and spoiler[at that is lots of death which we usualy only get for the bad guys or not even that but AgK makes it more realistic where we see both good and bad guys dying and thoose death can be quite uhhh hard with lots of blood etc. And it has some feels too offer aswel i cried like a little bitch when Mine died >.< will probably never forget that scene....]
Tind

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
The anime so messed up the original story.... I wonder if it is still possible to do a season 2 with the story as it is now.

spoiler[For example Tatsumi and Esdeath are alive and kicking and Mine is also alive, she is just in a coma...all of them could be brought back for season 2, but require somr explanation...I mean their "deaths" were really dramatic in the anime]
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
BlackPoint. wrote:
Enjoyed every single episode of so i dont really get why people hate it so much an easy A in my opinion and somethin you should watch if your an anime fan because AgK will give that somethin new which ya dont often see and spoiler[at that is lots of death which we usualy only get for the bad guys or not even that but AgK makes it more realistic where we see both good and bad guys dying and thoose death can be quite uhhh hard with lots of blood etc. And it has some feels too offer aswel i cried like a little bitch when Mine died >.< will probably never forget that scene....]

Why should I care aboutspoiler[characters deaths when I don't give a shit about the characters? Doing a flashback before killing them is pretty shitty writing;you gotta develop them naturally instead a lazy way like that]
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I liked the part where every character I disliked spoiler[died]. I disliked the part where the few characters I liked spoiler[also died].

which was exactly my point recently. it unfortunately suffered from the X:1999 syndrome where almost everyone dies. if it had ended ala FMA brotherhood, then you will hear no complaints from me and almost everyone else here. but alas, its ended with the worst possible ending for an action based series. even the ending for code geass wasnt as bad as this one.

CelestialEmpress wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
There's a reason the show was so popular and made its way to Toonami.

Remember how Tenchi Muyo GXP was on Toonami and hated by pretty much everyone because of how terrible it was?

only because its english dub version was completely mediocre to newer fans and Funi's failed attempt at outsourcing dubs to other companies since they wanted the same dub studio that did the original OVA , they also wanted them to do the new ryo-oki series cause the die hard fans from the 90's would have had a tizzy fit if funi had used its own VA. though its definitely not a bad series at the slightest and its ending is a real gas to watch and in some ways should have been the way the ryo-oki series ended. its only problem with GXP was a very very half-assed dub version ,especially with its questionable casting which made ZERO sense at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow I didn't know this show was so hated. I cut the cable while the series was half done on Toonami so I haven't seen the whole show but the show wasn't all that bad to me. Not great, but not bad.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
^
Okay, but a fan favorite show that ends up on Toonami is generally pretty darn good or at least solid entertainment. My comment was really more that this is not a "C" show (or whatever lower grade some other people seemed to be giving it). I really enjoyed it, but I'm being pretty objective I think in saying it is a B show.

Shockingly enough, great numbers of people often tend to like terrible things. Which is why utter garbage like Bayformers still makes hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office. Financial success and actual measurable quality don't always enjoy a causal relationship.

jr240483 wrote:
only because its english dub version was completely mediocre to newer fans and Funi's failed attempt at outsourcing dubs to other companies since they wanted the same dub studio that did the original OVA , they also wanted them to do the new ryo-oki series cause the die hard fans from the 90's would have had a tizzy fit if funi had used its own VA. though its definitely not a bad series at the slightest and its ending is a real gas to watch and in some ways should have been the way the ryo-oki series ended. its only problem with GXP was a very very half-assed dub version ,especially with its questionable casting which made ZERO sense at all.

Trust me, the dub was the LEAST of that thing's problems.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Top Gun"]
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
^
jr240483 wrote:

Trust me, the dub was the LEAST of that thing's problems.

The dub was actually one of the least terrible things about the show. And the ending was godawful, just like almost every other second of it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

Negative outcomes to a plot aren't necessarily more "realistic". Cynical, yes, but characters surviving great odds isn't a childish fantasy.

Night Raid was never presented as having a technological or magical advantage over the Imperial forces. In the beginning of the show, they are able to do their stuff, because they are assassins attacking with the element of surprise, and sometimes numerical superiority.

But as the show slowly winds up to revolution, Night Raid is increasingly fighting outside their comfort zone. In a war with two semi-equal forces, it is going to be more of a war of attrition. Night Raid vs Jaegers is a pretty even match up. There are going to be losses on both sides.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the manga--I remember spending hours straight reading it with entranced eyes, I'll say that the manga is vastly superior. I like AgK because it's a bloody as hell violence-fest mixed with over-the-top shounen fighting. Really, that's it. That kind of thing was never going to come off well in the anime since it was low-budget as fudge.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:21 am Reply with quote
^ Doesn't the manga have spoiler[a small child getting raped and murdered by a clown on her recently deceased father's grave, and another girl being raped by a dog]?
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:
^ Doesn't the manga have spoiler[a small child getting raped and murdered by a clown on her recently deceased father's grave, and another girl being raped by a dog]?

I don't remeber any dog but the first one is definitely there

spoiler[ I much prefer the manga' interpretation of the whole Bolic job and how Mine does, cause at least in that her and Tatsumi are already an Item so when she slips into a coma trying to save him it's heart wrenching.

The manga also makes the Jaegers more likable, Run has a really good backstory and the scene of Seryi losing to Mine and crying that she doesn't want to die are not great, but Run is pulled out of the anime and the lines in Seryu's scene are changed to her still wanting justice. The whole point of her final scene is that she gives up seeking justice and shows that she's like everyone, scared of dying.]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm reminded of how pissed off I was that the anime cut out Tatsumi and Mine dating to kill her off with a cliche deathbed confession. Wave also stayed as an indecisive useless bum for most of the show instead of finding his own brand of justice like he did in the manga, spoiler[punching out Syura, and breaking Kurome's death flag so they could live happily ever after.].

spoiler[And yeah, Meet Dog was a thing. Chapter 22.5, IIRC.]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, that is interesting. Is the manga here in the west edited for content?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3