• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is It Unusual For Japanese People To Use Computers?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
\
Common, mistakes like that a diamond dozen in this doggy-dog world.

I would think Snoop Dogg would disagree Razz
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
blackice85 wrote:
I always figured this was the case, but I thought it was just exaggerated for the sake of the story. Had no idea computer illiteracy was that bad there, and apparently getting worse.

Hah funny you should say that, My place of work has just had a few new hires who have never used a windows PC before, Mac's in school and college and smartphones for themselves never having ever owned a PC themselves.

This is in the UK so I think it's not just Japan that's going to have problems with computer literacy especially as they allow you to email everything in school now and from what one of my teacher relatives says they are seeing more essays and other work that's clearly been done on phones.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
from what one of my teacher relatives says they are seeing more essays and other work that's clearly been done on phones.

Recently, I have had to send emails via my smart phone. It is no fun. I much prefer to use a computer to do that and to type up work documents. Tablets and smart phones are no replacement for a computer. Though tablets do have a place in some types of jobs.

I pity students who are using their smart phones to type of school essays.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I think everyone saw Serial Experiments Lain and ran screaming from them.

...is it too late in the thread for this lame joke? I would have posted sooner, but I was away from my computer all day. Smile
Sparvid

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I hadn't thought about it, but maybe this explains why I've gotten the impression that after English language teachers, the most common occupation among English-speaking foreigners in Japan seems to revolve around computers (programming, bug-fixing, etc).
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
WOW I never knew that Japan was so far behind when it came to computers, Which is such a shame since they're never know the Joy of using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or Indesign. Sad
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
I think everyone saw Serial Experiments Lain and ran screaming from them.

...is it too late in the thread for this lame joke? I would have posted sooner, but I was away from my computer all day. Smile

I was kind of wondering about that too. I remember watching Lain circa 2001 or so and thinking that it absolutely PERFECTLY captured the mystery and seemingly-infinite possibilities the Internet seemed to promise circa 1997-1998 (that was when I discovered IRC / #EFnet for the first time, and it seemed close enough to the Wired for me...).

#KidsToday really don't have much memory of the pre-Social Media, pre-YouTube, pre-pervasive-Internet world, and a lot of folks in the coasts barely remember life before smart phones, and perhaps by taking it slowly Japan is at a disadvantage, but I think there's also something to be had by not needing to use technology the same way to function and survive as a culture and economy. Makes me want to visit Japan that much more.

One question though -- how did the rise of NEETs in the later 2000's, and the Asian economic collapse of the late 90's/early 2000's come into play here? Any relation?
Galap

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
huh, that's really interesting. I'd always chalked it up to the writers having been kids in the 90s when this was more likely to be the case.

When I see high school kids with smart phones and stuff like that sometimes I'm surprised and think, "woah, we didn't have those when i was in school!" as if I expect the kids of today to be using the same level of technology that I did when I was there, but of course that's not how it works.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
WOW I never knew that Japan was so far behind when it came to computers, Which is such a shame since they're never know the Joy of using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator or Indesign. Sad

Ah, Adobe. I still remember the day almost two decades ago when many Adobe users still worshiped Apple for its native graphical interface (many tasks of Windows 95 still required command line) and more integrated relationship with Adobe (ever heard of the relationship between Arial and Helvetica fonts?). While such opinion has become less and less common after the introduction of Windows XP and virtually gone after Apple dumped PowerPC structure, many graphical designers today still praise Apple for its color management.

IIRC Apple has a higher share of market in desktop and laptop computers (regardless of pre- or post- iMac era) in Japan than any other developed country. The reason is partly cultural: Japanese customers prefer a tool to be ready-to-use straight out of the box, thus English-based (although DOS/V is compatible with Japanese fonts, operating it still requires some basic English knowledge, and we all know that English language education in Japan fails really big) command line interface of DOS was intimidating for average Japanese users. Macs (even the original Macintosh with a tiny B/W screen) was much user-friendly than Wintel PC back then, and the growing bubble economy back then also enabled Japanese users to afford more expensive Apple over Wintel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
FukuchiChiisaia

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:14 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile, in Indonesia, 5th grader already learning how to use CorelDRAW.
And Photoshop when I was 6th grade.

We learn also learn HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and Indesign on high school.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
I live in Israel and its nothing new.5 years-6 years ago people would barely use them.now that we have all the conviniency of smartphones - even less people use them.
The only ones who actually know how to use comps here are hardcore gamers and developers.the only reason people know how to use comps is literally coding.I already know peole who developed amazing stuff but never written a simple document in Microsoft office.sad,true but cool.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
That's really interesting, and also makes me feel almost better about my own very basic tech (il)literacy.

And CV/resumes have to be hand written, too? Thinking about it, I can't recall spotting a computer in the Mastuno sextuplets house. Maybe they all have really bad handwriting, and that's why they can't get a job! (Except for Todomatsu. Does Starbucks require resumes?) Wink
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:53 am Reply with quote
Heh, kind of reminds me of how an uncle of mine gave me a PC as a gift back in 1999 or so. Although he works in the communications business, it was weird how bare-bones it was. It came full of edutainment games, and Corel PhotoImpact, but everything else that could possibly be optional, he turned down. I don't know if Microsoft Office came standard in computers, but I was the only one among my classmates who had a PC and didn't have Office. We weren't given a printer with it either. At the time, it seemed as if he figured kids use computers only to play games, and if it's from him, it might as well be educational.

Also, I guess there's some truth to that scene in the Digimon movie where Tai and Izzy find an online computer at a barbershop, and the barber says he just uses it to play Solitaire.

relyat08 wrote:
Interesting. I was aware that they were generally less technologically developed than the West in many ways, but I had no idea that there was an actual decline in Computer Literacy. That seems really strange. I would have thought they would be catching up rather quickly at this point.

Yeah, it really does to me too. That was the thing that caught my attention the most in that article. Computer literacy has become prevalent even in third-world countries, so it seems weird that Japanese youth are becoming less able to use computers.

NormanS wrote:
i recall reading somewhere (during the time of vista i think), a joke or a comment that the majority of family PCs in Japan are either on win 95 or 2000. And that if you walk into some newspaper or bank company, they are still using typewriters to type things out.

To be fair, typewriters still have the edge over printers when it comes to typing in information within paper forms, and I know banks are a place where there can be many paper forms to fill in.

whiskeyii wrote:
The lack of typed papers does strike me as very odd, though. Unless the point of the paper is to grade your penmanship alongside it, I feel like it's way more important to get your ideas across in an easily read fashion. Then again, I have very little idea of how the Japanese school system works, so I might just be woefully misinformed on that front.

In Chinese schools, penmanship has always been very important and is a traditional skill to be practiced every day and is a measure of character. As kanji is a direct offshoot of Chinese, I'm pretty certain the same mindset occurs in Japanese schools too, though maybe not that extreme.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dMJCs7fmGZA/UJzHukfx8HI/AAAAAAAAawc/I6PlL12aytY/s640/1.JPG

It's one of the most daunting pieces of technology I've ever seen.

Oh, man... Shocked So that's what writing manufacturers in Japan call "a typewriter"... Those buttons are so small my fingers would end up many of the buttons surrounding the one I want to press.

Now that makes me wonder what a printing press at a newspaper company looked like, as they would've had to have a separate metal stamp for each of those characters.

Polycell wrote:
I'd imagine it means the more nuanced professional email. It's not always the easiest thing, especially before you're used to the register of a company - and I'd imagine Japanese companies like it really professional, which would be even more difficult, especially since anime and mangu seem to suggest that Japanese use emoticons with every single text.

And w's! wwwww

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Lord knows a part of me dies inside whenever I see people start their sentences in lower case, lazily using leet speak when not necessary, or misspell easily spelled words like "lose".

Confusion between "lose" and "loose" still happens way up at the professional levels.

It's not even the most commonly confused set of words. I'd say it's "their," "they're," and "there."

Joe Mello wrote:
I have to think it's more cultural than anything else, since it feels like everyone has a super-fancy feature phone at minimum. It may also explain why Japan is also very cash-reliant.

I like to pay with cash wherever possible because cash is the most anonymous form of payment and thus the most secure. I'm guessing that isn't the reason why people in Japan most commonly prefer paying with cash though.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote
Serial Experiments Lain makes a WHOLE lot more sense now.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:43 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Quote:
To be fair, typewriters still have the edge over printers when it comes to typing in information within paper forms

Only if they absolutely insist on using pre-printed forms. If the form is set up in the computer as a template you can move from field to field filling in the blanks. Then if a hard copy is absolutely required they can print out the form and the responses at the same time.

I remember trying to type my income tax return on the forms provided. Getting the type just on the line required a lot of adjustment. It took practice and even then was a major hassle. I'm perfectly willing to buy tax preparation software every year to avoid that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8