• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Emblem Fates RPG's Western Release Will Not Have 'Petting' Feature

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rensie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Are you saying that petting an animal and "petting" a human are the same thing?

Yes, because you forget a simple but obvious fact, both are pixels and don't resemble a human being. Is just computer generated art.

So matter zero, removing content is equal to removing art, someone else decide what you can or not see based on their standard and morals.

If you are against censorship and support freedom of speech fight with your wallet and send to these money hungry capitalist corporations a strong message.
In alterantive buy the original japanese version and apply the fanmade english patch.

[Edit]: removed paragraph that 1) trolled and 2) used derogatory terminology. Errinundra.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
I suspected this change in the last thread and i couldn´t be happier. I may be strongly interested to see more sexual content in videogames but i have been following this series for more than a decade / finished all entries (thank you dear fanlators) and erotic massages are utterly misplaced here. The game´s DLC strategy is still pretty gross but so is life. BigN was even clever by stretching the 2 changes (none fit the word censorship btw.) into multiple news items to get the most coverage. Clever girl! And to you all dozens who will now "boycott" the game i have this to say. The series managed to survive fine without you till now and will still continue to just fine.
It would still be better if the next game´s Japanese release could forgo all this nonsense to begin with and BigN once again punished the sublime Bayonetta 2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vanadise

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen anybody else mention it, so I think it's worth noting that if this is true (I'm still taking it with a grain of salt because Kotaku), that also means they're removing over an hour and a half of voice acting. All of the characters have unique lines that they say during the "petting" minigame, so that's all going to be gone. Also, on the Nohr/Conquest/"hard" route you cannot grind, so this was the only way of increasing affection outside of advancing the story. Removing this is going to make that route harder. Regardless of whether you liked it or not, those are pretty significant changes.

residentgrigo wrote:
The series managed to survive fine without you till now and will still continue to just fine.

Actually FE was almost dead before Awakening came out, and if FE:A hadn't appealed so much to the "waifu" crowd and sold like the last few game did, you probably would've never seen another FE game. I wonder how much longer it will last if Nintendo alienates all of the new fans?
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
Guess I'll just wait for the fan translated game to come out on emulator then.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
All this does is remind me that Nintendo has to deal with some of the brattiest "fans" in history.

(lives in Japan)

I like Nintendo of Japan!
Their localization decisions, as a localizer and fan myself, baffle me.

There is nothing "baffling"; ya wanna get angry, then aim it at the correct target. The target in this case is the Western gaming scene, which is not only going through what can best be described as a crippling fear of cooties, but also some uncomfortable Japanophobia that would fit nicely into the Reagan era. Nintendo is just reacting to what they interpret as the tastes of the gamers over here. And again, considering how the West seems to be in a very awkward phase as it grapples with undercurrents of misogyny, racism, homophobia, etc in its games I think Nintendo is going to have to ride this out for a LOOOOOOOONG time.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I suspected this change in the last thread and i couldn´t be happier. I may be strongly interested to see more sexual content in videogames but i have been following this series for more than a decade / finished all entries (thank you dear fanlators) and erotic massages are utterly misplaced here. The game´s DLC strategy is still pretty gross but so is life. BigN was even clever by stretching the 2 changes (none fit the word censorship btw.) into multiple news items to get the most coverage. Clever girl! And to you all dozens who will now "boycott" the game i have this to say. The series managed to survive fine without you till now and will still continue to just fine.
It would still be better if the next game´s Japanese release could forgo all this nonsense to begin with and BigN once again punished the sublime Bayonetta 2.

1) While it doesn't fit the definition of censorship, this one in particular does fit the definition of SELF-Censorship.

The definition from the online Cambridge Dictionary;
Quote:
control of what you say or do in ​order to ​avoid ​annoying or ​offending ​others, but without being told ​officially that such ​control is ​necessary:
These ​writers ​knew that ​unless they ​practised a ​form of self-censorship, the ​authorities would ​persecute them.

In addition, the definition from the online Oxford Dictionary;
Quote:
The exercising of control over what one says and does, especially to avoid criticism:

2) FE was dying actually. Had Awakening not sold as well it did, the series would have died then and there because of the last few titles not selling well at all. You could attribute some of the reason it got so many sales in the West to the actual marketing campaign (something Fates is lacking in comparison) but a lot of the reviews and thoughts people posted actually praised the characters, story and writing. So yeah, the relationship stuff did have an impact in addition to the accessibility in general.

EDIT: Actually, I think the issue here is that we don't have an equivalent to the CERO C rating (what IF got in Japan). CERO C is essentially T +, something that the ESRB is sorely lacking in despite having an E10 + Rating.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Stop supporting Nintendo of America with games like this, they haven't learned their lesson over the past 30 years, start importing any 1st party title that isn't a "safe" title, basically Mario, Zelda, Smash, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, you know the usual household Nintendo fare.

Don't buy this at all unless you import.

Petting is innocent Nintendo, it's a platonic thing you do to something or someone cute, stop this madness immediately.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
Yes, because you forget a simple but obvious fact, both are pixels and don't resemble a human being. Is just computer generated art.

So matter zero, removing content is equal to removing art, someone else decide what you can or not see based on their standard and morals.

I've mentioned this in other threads before, but it bears repeating since you've directly quoted me about it --- self-censorship isn't at all the same as government censorship, especially in the case of corporate products. Nintendo is a company trying to produce a product that will sell well in its target region, and is free to choose what content makes the cut and what doesn't. I don't doubt that some of the developers who originally worked on the Japanese release may have wanted even more titillating content in the game, but faced a wall when their editors/management struck it down because they felt it was pushing the envelope too far, even for Japan. At the end of the day these are employees hired to fulfill the company vision, and they know going in that not everything they want to express is necessarily going to be allowed in the final product, regardless of the region. "Censorship" in that sense is basically the creator or company making their own decisions on how to present their product (which is how all content production essentially works), so it's a false equivalence to compare it with something like government censorship, where an authority is outright illegalizing the existence of certain material altogether.

Also the "pixels don't resemble a human being" argument is denialism. Obviously the intent is for the characters to resemble humans, otherwise they would just be big circles or some other abstract form. If you want to say that the characters are fictional and not real, that's one thing, but to say they're not made to resemble humans is stretching all credibility.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
it's a false equivalence to compare it with something like government censorship

I am pretty sure that nobody here has said that this is government censorship.

But self-censorship is still censorship; trying to imply that it's not really censorship if the government isn't doing it devalues the meaning of the word.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Stop supporting Nintendo of America with games like this, they haven't learned their lesson over the past 30 years, start importing any 1st party title that isn't a "safe" title, basically Mario, Zelda, Smash, Kirby, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, you know the usual household Nintendo fare.

Don't buy this at all unless you import.

Petting is innocent Nintendo, it's a platonic thing you do to something or someone cute, stop this madness immediately.

I agree. Nintendo needs to stop this nonsense. I'm tired of them pulling this nonsense. Just cutting out or covering stuff that doesn't hurt the game at all.

Oh god petting. Yeah, that's terrible. Careful Nintendo you still have the part where the player has an avatar that can get married to characters and have children. You know what that involves! Better eliminate that part of the game too....I can't believe something that utterly harmless just gets axed.

If Nintendo's branch in the West is so damn embarrassed then there's no point in buying this censored nonsense. Better ways to spend money.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
If there's 1 positive thing about all of this is that there's only 1 upcoming "non safe" game that NoA will release that they can ruin (and they will) #FE!

-cries in corner-

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
"Censorship" in that sense is basically the creator or company making their own decisions on how to present their product (which is how all content production essentially works), so it's a false equivalence to compare it with something like government censorship, where an authority is outright illegalizing the existence of certain material altogether.
Thank you Nintendo for shielding away this filth from my precious virgin eyes. As a grown adult, I'm so thankful to have companies like Nintendo making decisions for me. I'm just not sure how I'd be able to function if I witnessed any sort of controversial dialogue or the petting of love interests. It would probably ruin me for life.

No, seriously, the fact that it's self-censorship just makes Nintendo of America that more pathetic. How many kids actually play FE again?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I had no issue with the previously announced removals, but this... does seem rather strange. I see nothing wrong with ruffling hair, brushing cheeks gently with your fingers or hand, etc. if it's done in a manner that's sweet, platonic, and/or friendly in nature (which based on what I'm reading it is). If such things were being sexual in nature and actually could lead to some more "inappropriate" things, then I would agree with it being removed.

Right now... this just seems weird to remove.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Knew this would be on the chopping block. I think its mostly because it has a lot of voice content that they don't want to dub more than its "creepy". Hoping that it has a replacement of some kind so that its possible to still have the gameplay benefits from doing that game.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Can Nintendo ever localize a game without "removing" some of it?

I don't understand how anyone can be fine with all this crap they remove...

What it is they take out isn't important. It's the fact they are removing things period.

It's insulting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10