• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which Anime Made You Cry?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
The scene on the train when Ushio explains to Tomoya when her grandmother told her it was OK to cry is one of the most profoundly moving scenes I have ever watched. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

In terms of the intensity of the reaction, this is probably my all-time #1 crying scene. I was actually rolling my eyes at most of the other oft-cited tearjerkers in that series, but that scene had overwhelming impact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
Aw man, why would you mention that. Bye Bye Butterfree had me bawling, even though I was probably too young to fully understand. I attempted to re-watch the series a few years ago when I was probably 21 or so, and man, I was practically crying just seeing the name of the episode. Another episode that gets me is the one where spoiler[Ash gets stuck in the snow and all of his Pokemon came out of their balls to keep him warm]

Oh, just remembering the Butterfree episode gets me a bit down...and I've not seen it since I was a kid.

And, I also remember the episode you've put in spoilers.

Another one that got me sad was when Ash first met Charmander. Charmander has always been my favourite Pokemon. I wasn't happy when Charmander evolved...

TG72 wrote:
My two cents on Clannad: There are a lot of tear-inducing moments, but the one that really got to me was Tomoya's spoiler[reconcilation with his father.]. When the story began, it looked like that moment would never happen. Realizing his own flaws and spoiler[recognizing his father's sacrifices]showed some real growth and played out more realistically than anything else in the show.

That's partially why I didn't like the ending that the series takes. But, spoiler[since that timeline also lead to his daughter's death], I'm also kind of okay with how the series ended. Laughing

And, seeing so many mention Air...I have to finish watching that. I own it on disc, but only watched the first 4 episodes, as I found out it has a tear inducing ending. But, I must get around to finishing it soon.

Visiting this thread a few times has lead me to things I've forgotten to mention. Angel Beats!, Yui and Hinata...and that montage. I'd like to think that actually happens, in another world, which I think is can happen, mainly due to how the series ends (I've not see the other ending that this series has, only the original one it had).

I don't know why that kind of stuff hits me, spoiler[being unable to marry the person they love], it hits me hard. Which is why AnoHana's ending hits me, Menma's letter to Jinta is the closest I've come to crying. Most of the other things I've mentioned gets me a bit teary, but nothing has made me cry yet.

Just remembering Yui and Hinata/Menma and Jinta has gotten my teary.

Last edited by Ali07 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Violynne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Fans today have it lucky.

Back in the day, we had to spend as much as $100+ to watch an anime, and if it sucked, that's $100+ gone, enough to make anyone cry.

I'm very pleased I can finally get my money's worth by watching anime without spending a dime. The ads are annoying, but long gone are the days of throwing money away on crappy anime.
Soliia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
OH BOY, WHERE DO I BEGIN?

I am an absolute crybaby. I cry at everything. And while Key series (particularly Clannad and Air) have hit me the hardest, the first anime to make me cry was probably Fruits Basket. And that one still kinda sticks with me today.

I wouldn't be able to list every anime that has made me cry though. That would be way too much.
xyz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies was one of the first anime I saw and it made me cry but it's not one I like to re-watch again.
There is one series that never failed to make me cry regardless of how many times I re-watched it and I haven't seen anyone here mentioned it. It's Aka-chan to Boku. It's such a heart warming series and the end had me crying like a baby because it was so warm that it touched my heart in so many ways. I love the characters and the story and I never wanted to see it end.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
The anime that made me cry was AnoHana:The flower we saw that day. That was the only anime so far that brought me to tears. Such a great story.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
Just as an update...
I just went to go see the last Persona 3 movie today.
I was crying SO HARD.
I literally had to bite my lip to stop myself from vocally sobbing. It was a masterpiece.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:49 am Reply with quote
Okay, I don't think anyone's mentioned GunBuster yet because it's a little hard to find these days. This is my go to makes me cry anime.
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
When i first started getting into anime Wolf's rain was my gateway. At the time i wasn't doing too well at all but that show just connected with me on a level i didn't know media could. The ending had me crying like crazy and it was just...i can't even describe. Wolf's rain will always be my favorite anime and it's had the most impact on me too.

Fma and darker than black came after that and i think some years later i watched Ga-rei zero. My tears have dried up since then. They don't make the endings like they used too. Usually a show that's trying to make me cry has the opposite effect.
Helioc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
I can't believe there are only a single mention apiece for Usagi Drop (Bunny Drop) and for Gunslinger Girls (2 now for GG - for me, it's the singing of Beethoven's Ode to Joy..)

I created an account just to leave a comment here, because I just can't even..

Anyway, it seems to me there are several kinds of "crying-by-anime".

The first kind is the "yes-finally-the-hero-overcomes-the-odds-and-upholds-everything-good-and-the-stress-is-relieved!!!" which I find in Naruto quite a bit, also in Basquatch, Kill-La-Kill, SOA,

The second is more of the "I-wish-it-didn't-have-to-end-like-this-but-it's-so-good-the-emotions-so-strong" of the Wolfwood scene from Trigun, or of the various death scenes in many many series, such as SOA 1 and 2

Then perhaps a third is low-key kitsch and/or high-brow drama. Usagi Drop, Kids on the Slope/Sakamichi no Apollon, the ending finale to Gunslinger Girls, Chihayafuru, Space Brothers, and I suppose Mushishi as well and so on

However, I'm tempted to make a fourth category, and that is because I find that the music behind the anime to be a hidden source of power, underestimated by anyone (except Youko Kanno of course). The finale to the Yin episodes (#13-14) from Darker than Black are an excellent example of this. Sword Art Online has an amazing soundtrack (that cello solo, might as well be Elgar's Cello Concerto), as well as the motifs from Usagi Drop (as well as Matsutani Suguru's other work with the classical music themed Nodame Cantabile). Trigun and Cowboy Bebop as well, the soundtracks are the invisible partners throughout, and especially in key scenes...

Along those lines, it's the very themes of Chihayafuru, SOA, Space Brothers, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, that bring a tear to my eye...

That said, I think the most powerful anime I've ever seen was Rainbow- but that was more sheer rage and despair...not really one I would pick to watch again, despite its quality.
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Maison Ikkoku - Moreso the manga, which I read when Viz was still releasing chapters as monthly issues (remember that?)spoiler[...when you get to those last 2 or 3 issues, with Kyoko's request to Godai: "Promise me, even if by just one day, you'll outlive me." and then the ending where Kyoko arrives back from the hospital with Haruka, her & Godai's first child... Anime cry]

Sailor Moon Stars - spoiler[Mainly the last episode, because I knew it was the end of the series, that there was no more Sailor Moon anime to watch...especially the end-of-episode "So long!" tag after the final credits (if I remember it was said by just Kotono Mitsuishi, not the whole cast, but still)]

Ranma ½ The Movie 2: Nihao, My Concubine - spoiler[Another ending "Godbye!" tag, as after the credits, they show a group shot of the cast, then everyone together shouts "Bye-bye!" and said words are superimposed over the shot at the same time... just a sad reminder that (not counting the 2009 OVA which wasn't even a thought then) Ranma was done as an anime, as the 2nd movie I think was recorded after the TV series & original OVAs, making it the last Ranma thing the cast recorded...though if I am wrong about the order things got recorded, please correct me...still sad nontheless]

Love Live! - Firstly, season 2, spoiler[when they announced the decision to end Muse, I was choked up, but it was somewhat tempered by the movie announcement, so I knew there was more Muse to be seen...]then, the movie itself, spoiler[When they once again decided that Muse would end after the live they did with the other school idols, and Honoka announced that to the others...then the sign of respect all the other school idols showed Muse by lining up, then parting to let them walk through the crowd...and once that final concert was over, knowing it was the end of Muse...and they added the scene in the future with Arisa & Yukiho being the 3rd years running the Idol Worship Club, meaning that all of Muse had graduated... so sad because of the emotional investment I had/still have in Muse.]

And one slightly anime related one...one of the K-On! live events (either Come with Me or Let's Go, I can't remember which) where spoiler[the 4 main VA's for HTT are on stage singing their 'farewell' song to Azusa (whose VA is off stage) 'Tenshi Ni Fureta Yo', and Sato Satomi nearly breaks down mid-line as she sings, choking back the tears, seeing the emotional attachment she has to K-On!/HTT/Ritchan like we fans do...]
Desa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
Never actually cried watching anything ever, but as far as anime is concerned, there are currently 4 that have come closer than any other to pumping these tear ducts:

1. Elfen Lied

2. Ga-rei Zero

3. White Album 2

4. Persona - Trinity Soul

In that order.

As an aside, most of the things from Key get me irritated more than sad. And the earlier character designs were freaky. Air was particularly bad. It's hard to feel for characters that look so unnatural, so... inhuman. The newer stuff like Angel Beats look much better but I still find it difficult to get attached to any of the characters. Then again I also found Grave of the Fireflies a bit too "obvious" in its attempt at garnering pity.
I suspect I'm just not the target demographic.
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
do not like the feeling that a show is trying to manipulate me

You do realize that all story telling in any medium is an attempt to manipulate don't you? Fiction is an attempt to manipulate the viewer/reader into identifying with a character or characters.

The better they are at this, the better the story.

In your comment you also seem to focus on "tragic crying" but people cry for joy, beauty or any other "emotional tension release" which may occur in fiction. Not saying that they do not overdo the "tragic" attempt in anime because they do. Just that it isn't the only "event" which triggers crying.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Soliia wrote:
OH BOY, WHERE DO I BEGIN?

I am an absolute crybaby. I cry at everything. And while Key series (particularly Clannad and Air) have hit me the hardest, the first anime to make me cry was probably Fruits Basket. And that one still kinda sticks with me today.

I wouldn't be able to list every anime that has made me cry though. That would be way too much.

Fruits Basket hit me hard too.

And anytime I even hear "My Song" from angel beats the flood gates open.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Plenty of anime have managed to make me cry, I tend to be rather sentimental, especially when it comes to death scenes and watching people mourn their loved ones. Some shows that really got me bawling include Mawaru Penguindrum (the ending), Gurren Lagann (spoiler[Kamina's detath]), Wolf's Rain (the ending), FMA Brotherhood (spoiler[Hughes's funeral]), just to name a few. But the anime that has made me cry the most has to be, without a doubt, Hikaru no Go

I marathoned that show in three or four seatings, it's my favorite anime of all time. It has amazing characters and manages to make you really invested in a tabletop game that you hardly understand. And then the episode when spoiler[Sai disappears happened. It's quiet and not overly dramatic in itself. Sai just passes on while Hikaru is asleep, he doesn't even get to say goodbye. But the impact Sai's disappearance has on Hikaru is just crushing. Because he doesn't know Sai moved on, he fears he did something to upset him, and spends several episodes searching for him. He visits the grave of the last man Sai had haunted trying to get closer to him. He also goes through the history books, trying to find any record of Sai's existence, and is devastated when he finds none and realizes he is the only person alive who knows Sai existed. ] I remember sitting watching those episodes and crying over and over and over. Heck, there was a scene in the opening with spoiler[Hikaru looking sadly at a Go board and remembering Sai and it got me teary eyed.] Hikaru no Go is definitely both my favorite anime and the one that has made me cry the most
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11