• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Who do you want to star in the new Robotech movie?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iria51

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
So the classic anime Robotech is going to be made into a hollywood movie. It is rumored that Toby Maguire is eyeing the part of Rick Hunter in the film, but who do you think would be a perfect fit for the other roles? Or do you maybe even have someone else in mind for the part of Rick Hunter? I have my ideas but I am more interested in hearing yours. You be the casting director.
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Really tough call. I like the idea of Toby McGuire, I'm not sure of anyone who better resembles Rick. I'd kill to see Samuel L Jackson in there though.
Iria51

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
I'd kill to see Samuel L Jackson in there though.

I can see it now: Snakes on a Veritech. Actually, I would love to see maybe Zhang Xiyi as Lynn Minmei and maybe Halley Berry as Claudia Grant.
Cuprin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:05 am Reply with quote
I dunno, the whole idea strikes me as a "bad idea". Lets face it, how many episodes are they going to try to cram into a two hour movie? The edited end result is going to be a mess for fans, and completely unintelligible to non-fans. Anyone remember Dune? There was just TOO MUCH STORY to tell.

Don't get me wrong - we're talking about the "anime roots" for a lot of us, and I'd love to see it get a good treatment, but at the same time, I can just see "them" killing it for everyone.

Rick was real young too - Toby might be pushing it. Maybe a fresh unknown...
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:22 am Reply with quote
I'm not too keen on Tobey Maguire...he's a decent actor and did alright in Spider-Man with some minor complaints but, I dunno about him bein' in Robotech. I don't want another disaster like Wing Commander turned out, and that's the closest thing to Robotech that's been done in Hollywood that I'm aware of. It's hard to tell what actors I'd want to put in the film when I'm not even sure what timeline it'll be set in. Since it sounds like they won't be able to use the Macross designs, it'll be sometime after that or a wholly new production....right now though, it's all speculation so, again it'll be hard to cast anyone until we know what characters will be in the film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
So, Hollywood has gone as far as citing an English translated anime series for movie ideas? How interesting. Twisted Evil
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:30 am Reply with quote
Cuprin wrote:
I dunno, the whole idea strikes me as a "bad idea". Lets face it, how many episodes are they going to try to cram into a two hour movie? The edited end result is going to be a mess for fans, and completely unintelligible to non-fans. Anyone remember Dune? There was just TOO MUCH STORY to tell.

Don't get me wrong - we're talking about the "anime roots" for a lot of us, and I'd love to see it get a good treatment, but at the same time, I can just see "them" killing it for everyone.

Rick was real young too - Toby might be pushing it. Maybe a fresh unknown...

yea but wasnt Dune like 3 hours or something?? and the Sci-Fi remake was something like 5 or 6 hours or 4 DVDs. but yea i dont see how they are going to do a 2 hour movie and make it good.
roujin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I want the Robotech movie done in claymation. Is this weird?
TheVok

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
So, Hollywood has gone as far as citing an English translated anime series for movie ideas? How interesting. Twisted Evil

Won't be the first time; 'Speed Racer' is already being filmed by the Wachowskis.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Tobey is producing it and will most likely star in it.

Shia Labeouf should be in it too. He's got the Giant Robot thing down to a science.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Since I suspect that Robotech is going to fall into the summer action subdivision of movies, I'm more worried about who's going to do the special effects than the stars. I'm hoping they can get Industrial Light and Magic onboard, because they did an amazing job with Transformers. Probably just dreaming to think that the military will lend their equipment for filming, though, since Robotech isn't nearly as high profile as Transformers.

Not sure who I'd want to star in Robotech. I'm sure they can find people in Hollywood who can do a reasonably convincing job for most of the cast. The one I'm really worried about, though, is Minmay. She is 1. obviously young and 2. obviously Asian. Can they find such a person without fishing someone of that description out of Asia, and would such a person have sufficient proficiency in English to fit the role--and there's nothing in Robotech to indicate that Minmay had language problems.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:32 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

Oh please, anime has gone as far as using classic literature and modern US novels. Not to mention they've made anime renditions and live action films/shows based on US books, television shows, cartoons and film. I know you love to tell yourself anime is taking over the world, but try again, this is hardly a new thing and it's far from a one way street.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Enjeru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I would hope that people would remember the characters from the series when either picking their "dream" cast or when the "real" cast is selected.
Not just here, but on many sites or publications I have come across articles or such where people are picking a cast for a movie. And very few times has anyone remembered the age of the characters. Not to name names, but on *another* site, someone a while back had Tom Cruise as Rick Hunter and Gwyneth Paltrow as Lisa Hayes. Oh my God. Maybe as their parents. Rick was I think 15 or 16 when the Robotech story began and Lisa was I believe 18. She was just fresh out of the academy.
I would personally like to see a cast of new faces for the main characters and maybe a big name or two as one of the side or less "main" characters. **not the best grammar there**. Maybe is this was done about a decade ago I would think that Sean Connery would have made a great Capt. Gloval. I also would have thought that Kevin Spacey would do a nice Admrial Hayes, maybe he still could.
On a side note, I really hope they decide to not try and do the whole Macross Saga in one movie. This would have to be a 3 parter. And even then, some major cutting would have to take place. The first season was I think 32 episodes (feel free to correct me if I am wrong).
I am sure there is going to be some major fire from a lot of sides. Some from the "Robotech is nothing more than a cheap side-show from the origional Macross and the other two shows", some from the "anime should never be made into live action", and some from the "ok, it will be fine if it is made into live action, but not my an american company". Well I however am hopeful of this project. I have always wanted to see a live-action Robotech since this was my first brush with anime back in 1985. It will always feel like my baby. But please do not start bashing anything so soon. This project is still so early in it's birth and will be a long process.......if even done.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:53 am Reply with quote
But you all have to remember that this is a hollywood adaptation-- that mean marketing and revisioning. "Highschool" aged characters are always played by people in their 20's- whether you're talking about some of the Buffy characters or people from 90210. Age doesn't really count (although, yeah, Tom Cruise is obviously too old). Simultaneously, they want to make money, so I would assume they'll try and get someone big to draw people in, like Tobey Maguire.

Besides all that, it's a Hollywood adaptation for a mass market release-- I can only imagine that the characters are going to be Americans and speak flawless English. This _is_ a release by Hollywood.

And that doesn't really bother me. It's more logistical that anything else. Real fidelity to the source material will come across if they decide to actually stay true to the emotional story in Macross-- the arcs of the characters' growth, and the moral ambiguity of people like Breetai and Exedore, as well as the war-mongering of the humans in Alaska, for example-- than if they still decide to call someone Minmey and cast an unknown young Chinese actress in her part that can sing really well, or have a young 16 year old play Rick. Those aren't the things that make Robotech Robotech, if you know what I mean.[/list]
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not just here, but on many sites or publications I have come across articles or such where people are picking a cast for a movie. And very few times has anyone remembered the age of the characters. Not to name names, but on *another* site, someone a while back had Tom Cruise as Rick Hunter and Gwyneth Paltrow as Lisa Hayes. Oh my God. Maybe as their parents. Rick was I think 15 or 16 when the Robotech story began and Lisa was I believe 18. She was just fresh out of the academy.

Maybe Hikaru Ichijo and Misa Hayase were 15 and 18, but Rick Hunter is 19, and Lisa Hayes is 24. It doesn't really matter though. The apparent age of a character is much more important than the canonical age. Robotech never played upon the theme of a lonely boy thrust from his home into war prematurely. Rick acts boyishly at times, but you can easily find that kind of behavior from people in their mid-20s in the real world military. He can easily be played by someone who looks like he's in his 20s. As for Lisa, she acts like an old nag and makes herself up very conservatively. An actor in her 20s to id 30s can probably be passed off as her.

Quote:
On a side note, I really hope they decide to not try and do the whole Macross Saga in one movie. This would have to be a 3 parter. And even then, some major cutting would have to take place. The first season was I think 32 episodes (feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

The Macross Saga was 36 episodes in the Robotech adaptation. And Macross has already been compressed into a 112 minute movie: The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2