• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I feel like this adaptation is a fusion of action, fantasy, and slice of life. Regardless, decent action this week against the goblins. I'm not very impressed by the group though as they were only taking on a goblin (probably a low level one as well...). And they struggled quite a bit.

Anyways, the theme song in the second half lasted longer than I had expected. As usual, Ranta's perverted mind and lewd jokes become a source that I think will continuously carry on throughout the rest of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
The fight with the Goblin was dirty and brutal. Definitely not the glamorized type seen in RPGs and similar shows. If they have that much trouble killing one goblin I don't know how they'll handle the more serious enemies that are sure to show up.

I got the sense from the first episode, but indeed there's something going on between the mage and the priest. Well, I don't expect much to come of that since Manato screams "leader who eventually dies so main character can take the role."
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Damn, this bunch is useless.
Hasn't it occurred to them that they should practice first.. like on dummies or trees?
It's easier to kill in games.. reality is harder.
Wish they'd reveal more about how they all ended up here.
No progress on that front this time.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
episode two

The scenes of what they did with the rest of their day went on far longer than I anticipated, but I rather liked it. The knight carving the little wooden airplane was a neat touch. The characters having this nagging homesickness for a place they don't recall has been one of the more interesting elements of the show.

The highlight was the messy, tense, and emotionally draining first kill, though. Really fantastic stuff.

Vaisaga wrote:
Well, I don't expect much to come of that since Manato screams "leader who eventually dies so main character can take the role."

As true as that is, I'm thinking he might be safe for just a touch longer. I don't feel like the main character has been set up in a position to assume the role if that should happen. I'd say these events could all happen in the same episode if it wasn't for the shows leisurely pace.

ookamigirl wrote:
Hasn't it occurred to them that they should practice first.. like on dummies or trees?

They did. They all went through training in their respective guilds. Once they had paid for that though, and fed themselves during said training period, they didn't have enough money left to spend any more time training.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:36 am Reply with quote
That goblin fight was just stunning, in more ways than one. Those 5 min. had far more impact on me than the whole battle in Utawarerumono just did, even though the message was essentially the same.

I wonder...could the goblins have been brought there too, like the humans? There's clearly more going on there than mindless beasts. And I suspect the items in the necklace have more meaning than it would appear at this point.

(as always, if you know the answer from source material, please don't reply to this at all, thanks)
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:55 am Reply with quote
This second episode just might have me, the fight was a joy because it is visceral in regards to the bands reaction and they made the goblin out to be a worthy menace.

In regards to the experience, it is actually closer to say a group of pen and paper RPG set up than the expected fantasy themed MMO.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

It is actually something fairly often on my mind. As much as we see killing in fantasy stories and video games, could we as we are now actually go and kill something? In terms of video games in my experience was what the recent reboot of Tomb Raider put its player through in experiencing the sheer shock of a character having to kill someone. And although I have not played it myself, there has been an interesting indie game called Undertale that questions the killing in RPGs. I generally find it a fascinating topic.

When you slow down from just trying to get A to B, getting the quest done and characters levelling up, you can really see a different angle of story. Instead of just going from characters defeating monsters and that is the end, we get to see them live, and the random thoughts that make up the characters.

Ranta, he comes across as a bit like a loudmouth who is tactless and annoying, you have probably seen similar archetypes in other series, but you would be selling the character short to think just that. The kid is scared, he was not randomly yelling swinging at nothing because he is an idiot, it was because he was scared out of his mind. Incidentally I think that I have had a bit of a strange history of becoming friends with people who are kind of similar, which makes me think that he might well have some level of ADHD. He has trouble focusing which can make him feel inferior to people who have better focus, and when he gets anxious all he can do is yell and make his thoughts known. He might come across as obnoxious to people, but that is probably because he would become depressed if he did not act that way, and he feels stressed at people who point out his flaws. The kid was really kind of messed up that he had to be the one who put the finishing kill on the goblin, regardless of what he might have said when he got back all he could do was just sit on the bridge. His sudden impulse to peek on the girls were likely just a distraction of what he went through.

The above character types might appear in other anime, but this show just had so much time to focus on the little quirks that pointed out the rest of what he is bellow what he shows. There are also moments for the other characters too. We see that as great and together Manato is, he too could have his self confidence shaken when yelled at by his trainer. We saw earlier Shihoru is beyond just being shy, she has really low self esteem and body image. Yume tried to make Shihoru feel better, and then feels like a third wheel when seeing her get along with Manato, and down that she could not help her as much. We really see that despite Mogzo's stature, he is not really the fighting type, he seems much more at home creating something, cleaning, and other home chores. Haruhiro really is mostly an audience stand in, but we get a lot of insight into his thoughts that show that he is more than hollow.

If you did not catch onto it, the reason they had so much trouble with the goblin was because they were afraid, they did not want to have to kill something. Amongst others it caused Ranta to needlessly yell, Haruhiro to not be able to fully observe his surroundings, some misses of attacks, and not striking as hard as they should if they intended to kill. Only finally was Ranta able to muster full force that killed the Goblin was when it was standing on top of and trying to strangle him. Are they useless, or just not yet fully able to commit to killing creatures that they have seen do things showing that they are not mindless?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
You know what I don't get? Why they passed up a perfectly good bathing scene yet they put in effort to show off Yume's ass.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash you can tell just looking at the title this is intended to be a lighthearted comedy. Wink

@Vaisaga

Maybe this should be retitled to Grimgar of Fantasy and Ass.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I made it thought eight minutes before I closed the window. So, two "women", ok. It's a start, not equal in number or anything but ok. One's a kind of useless archer and the other's a squishy wizard.

No, deep breath, swordswomen, valkyrie, spear maiden, thief, blacksmith, berserker or any kind of melee combat? This is the type of thing other shows make fun of... the set up right from the start is they have to be saved by the guys and the moment I turned it off was when the girls were saved by the male white priest healer. The non fighter!

It couldn't be more sexist if it tried. Boob discussion? So, it really did try then?

Hey, remember Log Horizon? Gate, Outbreak Company, Magi, the freaking Legend of a Legendary badass swordswoman Hero? It's one thing when the straight fantasy plays against sexual stereotypes- thanks, Lina Inverse- but this is supposed to be from a game where people choose their character. And they all choose this way?

And this concept is what came after those shows where the women were the best fighters. I'm not asking for much, just... progress? Insight or maybe perspective. Not "Well, of course reality ensues" if your reality was stuck in the 1600s.

That's it, interesting. Even Is it Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon had women as the best or better fighters. But what I was expecting would be the natural diversity that would really happen in such games.

And I was the only one bothered by this? Beautiful backgrounds, horrible sexual politics. Done, not even at one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
@ Animegomaniac

You might not have found this out because you did not watch the entire episode, but none of them are actually really good, it is not just the girls, the boys are not competent either. The only real exception may be the priest, and he is really the only one who does not have a role of actually killing a living creature. The strongest hint seems to be that the reason they are not doing to well is because of that, that a group of teens or young adults suddenly being tasked with killing a thinking being is pretty scary and will have a hard time adjusting to it.

The rest of the team is a somewhat clumsy thief, a dark knight who is more putting on a show of confidence rather than having it, and a big guy who seems more at home doing things like cooking, sowing, sculpting and cleaning. They are not really a fighting type despite having to be forced into it.

They have not magically became more physically capable. She may be a tomboy, but that does not mean she is going to suddenly turn into a killer. You spend a week learning archery and then being told to shoot someone. And "squishy wizard", from the first episode it gets focus that she goes beyond being moe, she seems to have serious body image problems where it even being pointed out that other girls probably wouldn't like the way she acts, was enough to pretty much put her in tears. There are people like that, it does not say anything like saying one gender is weak, otherwise the character who acts like a jerk is like saying that guys are jerks. And the other female character really does seem to be one of the together characters of the group too.

This is thematically quite different to Log Horizon. And gender ratio does not mean a huge heap about respectful to gender either, otherwise Valkyrie drive is feminist.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:12 am Reply with quote
This idea that women only have value if they're physically strong is pretty toxic. Don't you see that demanding women stay in the kitchen and demanding that women be great fighters is the exact same problem?

Shihoru might be a mage, but Yume's a hunter and they're not exactly non-combat orientated. Heck, the healer, typically a female role, is a guy and the most domestically competent is also a guy. But as been pointed out all of them suck pretty equally.

As for the numbers I'm told that later on spoiler[they even out.]
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
but this is supposed to be from a game where people choose their character.

No it isn't. It's a bunch of people who wake up in a fantasy world with holes in their memory large enough that a fleet of cargo ships could easily sail through them. They have no knowledge of where they are, or where they came from. They then get told to pick a class and go out and kill stuff for a living. There are no stats, no status screens and as far as they know, they aren't playing a game.
xyz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
First try, I skimmed through first ep and stopped. I was going to thow this out but I tried again and I started to like it.

It reminded me of Log Horizon. spoiler[The group woke up in some kind of sanctuary or something and has no memory of what happened before that. It could be that they were killed in the game and got revived like how it was in Log Horizon.] It was hinted that they were from modern time and possibly were playing a game.

I'm interested in finding out their background story. But maybe after a while, that may not be relevant to my interest to the story anymore. I like this bunch so their development and interactions would just be enough to keep me interested.

{Please use spoiler tags. Thank you. ~nobahn}
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
This season's "trapped in game" anime all have incompetent party.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8