• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Some Classic Anime Never Get Re-Released?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:24 am Reply with quote
Even if it ended up being Japan only, I'd love to see DVD and/or BD releases for the VHS-only (even in Japan) "Kyou Kara Ore Wa!!" and "Utsunomiko" OVA series.

I can understand those not coming to the USA; unless there's some kind of additional hook like in "Yu-Yu Hakusho," juvenile delinquent anime has usually been a non-starter in the West. As for "Utsunomiko," that one's way off in Eastern Mythology land, so there may be a barrier to entry there. Sure is pretty to look at, though; Mutsumi Inomata FTW!!

Disk rereleases of the VHS-only movies "Bobby's Girl" and "Take the X Train" would be much appreciated as well.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
Student no.0 wrote:
Speaking of old shows, does anyone happen to know how well a show like R.O.D the TV did back then (in JP), especially when you consider how long it took for the R1 AoA to sell out?

According to someanithing.com's Series Data page, the fall '03 anime averaged 7099 units and 4894 re-released units.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:55 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty surre Kyou kara Ore wa!! got a DVD release in Japan, seeing as I have a rip of it. I doubt a VHS rip could look that good. Could be an LD rip though.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
...the VHS-only movies..."Take the X Train"...

Pony Canyon released the LaserDisc of X Densha (X Train).
The music was done by famous jazz pianist Yamashita Yōsuke. (Essays by Yamashita, too, are interesting.)
I think you have read Yamano Kōichi's X Densha.

Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Also, since R.O.D. was brought up, I was super grateful I ordered that nice BR set on a previous holiday sale for a good deal. As several of my friends had said what a great series it was I would have hated to have missed out on it.

I picked up my set during that same sale. I ended up waiting about a year to buy it, even though R.O.D is my second favorite anime, because I figured Right Stuf's Christmas sale was the only time it was going to be at a decent price. As much as I love the show, it was hard to justify spending Aniplex prices when I already had the Geneon DVDs.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that was the best time to pick it up, ROD was such a great movie and show.

Lord Geo wrote:
Meanwhile, I'd love to see something like Dancougar or Ehrgeiz be given new releases over here, if only so that I can get rid of my VHS tapes, but I know that they are both more or less lost causes at this point.

I'd probably pick up both of these, especially Dancougar since I imagine soon I won't have a VHS player around. It even got a blu-ray box in Japan (no subs), though now that I look it looks like maybe only a first set came out looking on CDJapan. I also would kind of like a release of even the seemingly quite mediocre Dancougar Nova.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
Anyone else remember wannabees or luna varga?

At the time, I remembered thinking Luna Varga not really being that worth saving, but that's sort of a moot point today...

IMO even if no company nowadays would think of releasing them in disc, these kind of series at the very least should be available for streaming; every year there is a one+ week gap where many 12- episode long series have ended but the next season has yet to start or worst, the next season first episode is delayed because they are still negotiating the contract and that gap can be filled with all those ovas and movies from the 20th century. But please, unlike lily cat and dragon half, go the extra mile and make them available too outside the USA.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Even if it ended up being Japan only, I'd love to see DVD and/or BD releases for the VHS-only (even in Japan) "Kyou Kara Ore Wa!!" and "Utsunomiko" OVA series.

Utsonomiko was also released on LD in Japan; I used to own it but sold the discs years ago.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Pretty sure Kyou kara Ore wa!! (From Today I`ll) was released on DVD at some point in time in Japan, the filespecs of the only full fan-subbed release of it pretty much rule out LD as source, let alone VHS...
Edit; Found the answer, apparently Kyou kara Ore wa!! was released on DVD in Italy, and that release was used as source for the fansubbed version of it. So it might not have had a release in Japan after all...
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Edit; Found the answer, apparently Kyou kara Ore wa!! was released on DVD in Italy, and that release was used as source for the fansubbed version of it. So it might not have had a release in Japan after all...
It's mysterious how some anime only have DVD/BD versions in Europe but nowheres else.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Edit; Found the answer, apparently Kyou kara Ore wa!! was released on DVD in Italy...
It's mysterious how some anime only have DVD/BD versions in Europe but nowheres else.

IMO the real mistery mystery is why it does not happen more often, since a release in japan won't happen unless they think they will sell thousands of copies at a very high MSRP. But a license is easy money and there is no fear of reverse importation since they do not plan to release it in japan.

{Corrected your spelling. ~nobahn}
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3