• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Highschool of the Dead (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azureth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
So I just got done watching it; really enjoyed it, but what I don't understand is why spoiler[America fired a nuke at Japan]

Oh, and was the part where Takashi spoiler[shot the young kid censored?]
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Azureth wrote:
So I just got done watching it; really enjoyed it, but what I don't understand is why spoiler[America fired a nuke at Japan]

spoiler[They didn't.
America (after the President and a huge chunk of the chain of command was dead and some random person was in charge) fired nukes at some of America's enemies that were feared to take advantage of the situation. Places like North Korea, etc. Those countries and their allies retaliated at America and America's allies, including Japan.]
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
So my friend just told me to watch the english dub, telling me dubs are much improved nowadays with a very creepy smile on her face...

I dropped this after episode 6.

WTF is this?! I thought a zombie and gun centric series like this would be child's play for an american company to do. The translations are completely off! Can't these people make a competent dub? Sarah Palin jokes!? Romero references?!

edit: Now that I think about it. Maybe that was why she had that creepy smile on Idea
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
Quick question: does this OVA take place anywhere in the actual continuity of the Highschool of the Dead anime series? If so, when?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the OVA takes place after the series. I am sure however that the OVA is a standalone entry that's heavy on fanservice and light on plot - it's more a short side-adventure than a sequel - so it can be watched whenever. You probably don't even need to have seen the series to enjoy the OVA.
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the OVA takes place after the series. I am sure however that the OVA is a standalone entry...

Correct, or at least that's my interpretation; as for when after the series, not a clue.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
If it takes place afterwards, no problem. I just got done ripping the series, and needed to know for sorting purposes: if it takes place within the continuity of the series, I'll sequence it after episode 12. If it were a completely self-contained story, then I'd categorise it separately as a special within the wider franchise.

Yes, I am very OCD about my video organisation. Razz

Thanks for clearing it up. Smile
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 1-12

Who likes zombies? Who likes action? Who likes ridiculous T&A with said zombies and action? Well if you said yes to them all you'll love this show. If not....well you might wanna try something else.

High School of the Dead is another zombie related show during a time when zombie shows, animated or live action, are all the rage and in full swing.

The first episode started off innocently enough. The action starts rather quickly so there's no 2-3 episodes of buildup. It's zombie action right out the gate. Unfortunately it's also T&A action right out the gate. Now I know that will seem like an odd complaint coming from me of all people but there's a reason I am critical of it. It's not that it's pointless spoiler[but it's that the show cannot decide if it wants to be serious, or fanservicey. Much like how I felt Ikki Tousen was in comparison to Queens Blade. QB knew it was about the T&A but had enough of a plot to give it some depth. I never felt it took itself seriously. Where as Ikki Tousen seemed to not be able to decide between being serious at times and then right back to exploding clothes. HSOTD suffers the same problem to me.]

It has some good characters such Saeko, Takashi, Kohta, and Rika, and there is a lot of room for development from them, and others, and story depth. The problem is spoiler[virtually every time the show gets serious though within 5 minutes there is an over exaggerated pair of tits giggling, some crotch shots, or moaning noises. Every time you're about to get caught up in the well done action sequences and thriller aspects of the show.....T&A slaps you across your face. I mean this is a show about surviving a zombie apocalypse yet they still found time for a bath scene episode. ]

I liked Takashi and thought he grew as a character. He became quite capable and was willing to do what needed to be done. In that same regard I liked Saeko. Very capable and realistic about their given situation. But then they ruin spoiler[her character some with the T&A and total "I'll please him however I can" mentality at times.] Too often I felt that happened with all the female characters. It's not just that there was fanservice but it was so blatant and over the top. There was room for growth (not just in their bust) and development but it was squandered. It became a T&A harem with zombie/thriller elements I felt. I did enjoy the show, albeit less this second time around, but I would have enjoyed it more if it could have picked one of the elements and ran with it as the primary focus of the show instead of going back and forth with it.

I could go on with a more detailed synopsis on the episodes but I won't bother unless someone else jumps in to watch it too. I feel like each one will start with the positives and then I'll have to say "And then the T&A happened". Don't even get me started on the OVA beach episode.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
No comment on the brilliance that is Steven Foster's English Dub Script? The man writes poetry!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 25 of 25