• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Vampires That Don't Suck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
@Ali07 & Touma

You're correct Tokyo Pop did do eight novels. I didn't dig deep enough into that storage box. My bad.
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Blackwolf0925 wrote:
Did not think Karin would be number one. The whole series is still one of my favorite comedy/romance of all time. I happily own both the manga and the anime whole. Though for some reason is one of the few I own completely. I wondered how much if would cost now a days.

Having bought both the 14 volumes of manga and the anime this year...the manga wasn't too expensive. I paid about 17-18AUD per volume, which is relatively normal for me.

As for the anime, I managed to grab the whole thing for about $30AUD. Which is relatively cheap.

Both the manga and the anime I got as they came out. So I got the limited edition art-box and all six DVDs with it. Which put me at about over 150$ US. The manga IRC was 7.99-8.99 so about over 120 given that I have 3 of the light novels.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quote
Chibi Vampire is a series that was done before I hand started to watch anime that weren't DBZ/Pokemon. So it getting a collector's edition is news to me.

All I grabbed was the complete series set that was released in Australia by Madman. Funnily enough, the seller lives in the same suburb as I do. Laughing

Touma wrote:
Well, they are novels. each one is a complete independent story.

I had no idea. So the novels aren't really a series? They're all telling stories that are completely independent of the volume that comes before it?

I'm surprised. Though, I'd assume that one would have to have at least read the first novel...or whatever novel introduces the characters that one only finds in the novels? Or can you really just grab any of them, only have knowledge of the manga, and jump right in?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:12 am Reply with quote
@Ali07

In the case of Karin the manga came first. The novels are all side stories that fit in between the events in the manga. Nowadays, the novels usually come first with the manga being an adaptation. I suspect that is what you are used to.

The anime did not come with what we now think of as a collectors edition. Geneon issued the series as singles which was normal then. With one single, usually the first, you could pay a bit extra for an art box that would hold all the singles when issued. If they were being fancy, they might pack some trinkets in the empty space in the art box. I don't remember any with the Karin box though.

I think that buying the art box acted as an incentive to buying the whole series. This eventually backfired as Geneon went out of business without completing some series. I remember Rozen Maiden and The Wallflower in particular. They were later license rescued and issued as full or half season sets that did not properly fit the existing art boxes.

Since you are in Australia, Madman's version would have been different.

As I remember, there were a couple of series where the art box was issued with the second disk of the singles and at least a couple where it was issued with the last single. I think those were all ADV though.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45 - Thanks for that information. I did know that the Chibi Vampire manga came first, only because of the back matter in the manga volumes. The mangaka talks about the "upcoming" novels, but I was under the impression that the novels told their own story as a series, rather than each volume being self contained.

That is something I'm not used to. I can't really think of a multiple novel series, that I've read, where the stories can be considered stand-alone in each volume.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
@Ali07

From my own library: Dark Horse published three volumes of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex side stories. Tokyo Pop did three volumes of Clamp School: Paranormal Investigators. Del Ray did a volume based on xxxholic called Anotherholic written by Nisioisin. Dark Horse published Oh My Goddess! First End and Blood the Last Vampire: Night of the Beasts the latter written by Mamoru Oshii. Also more recently Viz issued a collection of short stories based on Vampire Knight.

So the concept of novels or short stories based on manga is not completely unknown.
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
@Alan45 - Thanks for that information. I did know that the Chibi Vampire manga came first, only because of the back matter in the manga volumes. The mangaka talks about the "upcoming" novels, but I was under the impression that the novels told their own story as a series, rather than each volume being self contained.

That is something I'm not used to. I can't really think of a multiple novel series, that I've read, where the stories can be considered stand-alone in each volume.

Looking at the novels I have the author of the novels state where the events of these stories take place within. I like to consider them filler for devout fans of the series.
chronos02

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, not seeing any if TYPE-MOON's non-blood sucking vampires here saddens me, there's Arcueid Brunestud (though not technically a vampire), Sion Eltnam Atlasia, and I believe Satsuki Yumidzuka never had the chance to drink blood, the poor thing.

And if comedy is a requirement (the list seems to be exclusively made of comedic vampires), Arcueid is ditzy and airheaded enough to be included too, as well as Sion and Satsuki (as seen in the Back Alley Alliance and Melty Blood manga).
Gezmoyassine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
For me it would be either Inner Moka from Rosario+Vampire anime or Akasha BloodRiver from Rosario+Vampire manga...It's a tough choice for me...Mother or daughter???Hard to chose..on one hand you have The mother who is 500+ years old (but still hot and with age comes wisdom and experience)and on the other hand you have inner
Moka from the anime is SUPER HOT!..Honestly,i wouldn't be able to make up my mind on who i'd let come over for dinner..
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Ali07

From my own library: Dark Horse published three volumes of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex side stories. Tokyo Pop did three volumes of Clamp School: Paranormal Investigators. Del Ray did a volume based on xxxholic called Anotherholic written by Nisioisin. Dark Horse published Oh My Goddess! First End and Blood the Last Vampire: Night of the Beasts the latter written by Mamoru Oshii. Also more recently Viz issued a collection of short stories based on Vampire Knight.

So the concept of novels or short stories based on manga is not completely unknown.

Viz also released a Hot Gimmick novel years ago, which acts as an alternative ending to the series spoiler[the main girl gets with the other guy. I seem to remember the author said it's an alternative to the last volume of the manga]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5