• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funny Con Story

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
A long time back I wanted to go to a convention in Dallas, TX at the time I was like 11, I got my dad to drive me down there and my sister to come with me, when we got there we saw a whole bunch of people in S&M costumes, and an assortment of other sexual costumes. We were freaked out, 2 little kids in the middle of all these college people dressed up in leather...It's funny now but I think that put me off conventions for LIFE. Laughing Laughing

Discuss
Simular Expiriences, your first con, and funny outfits/convention storys.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
A long time back I wanted to go to a convention in Dallas, TX at the time I was like 11, I got my dad to drive me down there and my sister to come with me, when we got there we saw a whole bunch of people in S&M costumes, and an assortment of other sexual costumes. We were freaked out, 2 little kids in the middle of all these college people dressed up in leather...It's funny now but I think that put me off conventions for LIFE. Laughing Laughing

Discuss

Sexual costumes? Are you sure you went to an ANIME convention? Sounds like a sex con. It sounds like you were freaked out cosplay and just overreacting or exaggerating. You really wont understand a con until you go to one. You are aren't a n00b but a MEGAN00B!
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes anime cons and conventions for "other" interests will be hosted by the same hotel/convention space at the same time, leading to hilarious results.

I remember the year that AX was held at the same time as a Gay Square Dancing convention. Sometimes you couldn't tell the cosplayers from the gay square dancers.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
ACEN 2006. Apparently, someone did not contact the hotel scheduling -- because some rich high school scheduled its prom during ACEN weekend. Laughing I so wanted to raid it -- but -- that wasn't a good idea.
Alestal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:09 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Alestal wrote:

Discuss

Sexual costumes? Are you sure you went to an ANIME convention? Sounds like a sex con. It sounds like you were freaked out cosplay and just overreacting or exaggerating. You really wont understand a con until you go to one. You are aren't a n00b but a MEGAN00B!
Im not exaggerating, but for all I know their might've been other cons there... and i dont really care about being a "meganoob". lol

Patachu: Thats Funny! Laughing
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
Im not exaggerating, but for all I know their might've been other cons there... and i don't really care about being a "meganoob". lol

What month and year was the convention?
Alestal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:18 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Alestal wrote:
Im not exaggerating, but for all I know their might've been other cons there... and i don't really care about being a "meganoob". lol

uh, may/june 2003
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Sometimes anime cons and conventions for "other" interests will be hosted by the same hotel/convention space at the same time, leading to hilarious results.

The first A-kon was scheduled with a white-tie wedding in the same hotel. Apparently they asked the girls in the Dirty Pair costumes to please cover up.

I was at an AnimeFest in Dallas where, again, a wedding was being held. Fortunately, the hotel ended up siding with the anime fans over the drunken wedding guests. A friend of mine reported being in the hotel elevator with the bride and groom and the obviously drunken groom was giggling in his best Bevis & Butthead voice saying "I'm gonna score". Rolling Eyes
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:12 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

Sometimes though, it's also idiots who don't know they're at an anime con. It's one thing to walk around in skimpy clothes dressed as Yuri and Kei from Dirty Pair or Chocolate from Bakuretsu Hunters - but when I see people in general bondage gear or other such nonsense, it makes me cringe more than your average cosplayer.

KyuuA4 wrote:
ACEN 2006. Apparently, someone did not contact the hotel scheduling -- because some rich high school scheduled its prom during ACEN weekend

Anime Weekend Atlanta 5 had a wedding reception at it as well on Saturday night. While it might not have been a problem, it was the year that the cosplay event exploded (it was the LAST year a traditional cosplay contest was held at the con) and it ended up leaving plenty of people with nothing to do. So this wedding party enters a very nice hotel lobby filled with a bunch of nerds and costumed freaks.

It's hard to think - most of my really funny stories aren't con-exclusive events, usually involving imbibing too much.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
Alestal wrote:

uh, may/june 2003

That would have been one of the A-Kons. I don't remember that year, but I totally believe you saw what you say you did. And I'm 90% sure there were no other cons there (none that'd be like that) at the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1