• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Are there any fans of Naoki Urasawa's Monster out there?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senseijoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This series is so amazing. It is full of suspense, tragedy, and drama. The artwork and character designs are so realistic and diverse. The first volume of this series has sets the reader up for an epic tale; yet at the same time it is also a complete story. Not very many manga give you a complete story arc in each volume and continue the overall plot as well.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Big fan. I've been re-reading the 5 volumes I own, and eagerly anticipate buying more. The backgrounds are amazingly detailed, and Urasawa's writing is great.
senseijoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Even tho this series fits into the mystery-suspense genre it is very re-readable. I think I've re-read it almost every time I've gotten a new volume...so this is about my 9th time. It keeps getting better and better...waiting for volume 10 to arrive in the mail.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I thought this series was an excellent series in the genre of suspense, because it really had things going for it. Twists and turns in every arc, and things would always be at the end of every volume to make you want to read into the next. Along the way you encounter confusion, but it starts to make sense with each progressing volume. When you get to the end, a showdown worthwhile definetly plays into the scene, and all becomes revealed. I hope that you guys don't stop reading this series, it'll definetly be worth it at the end.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:06 am Reply with quote
I have the first 5 volumes and love it. I'm desperately hoping Dr. Tenma will make it out okay... He's become one of my favorite manga characters. Don't spoiler me! >.<
senseijoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't dream of spoiling it for any one... I'm just tired of "lesser" anime and manga titles getting all the love while many excellent titles are ignored.

I just finished vol 3 again and I noticed: spoiler[ that the author has created two characters that act as excellent contrasts to Dr. Tenma (and themselves). Lunge looses everything do to indifference toward family and total absorption in work. Dr. Schummer lost everything (in the past) for the very same reasons, but he also achieved what Tenma was going to become. ]

Perhaps Dr. Tenma took some encouragement from Dr. Schummer's life?

I love that I can have intelligent conversation about this manga. Some titles out there just don't offer you the context or depth that Monster does. And if you go into an indepth conversation about this most fans can continue the discussion; instead of ending it with a Confused or a Rolling Eyes

Another title that doesn't get any love is Firefighter! Daigo. Not very many stories about firefighters out there; but this one is very intense, funny and inspiring almost at the same time.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
senseijoe wrote:
Another title that doesn't get any love is Firefighter! Daigo. Not very many stories about firefighters out there; but this one is very intense, funny and inspiring almost at the same time.

Ah, now I saw the J-drama for this series, and I was rather impressed with it. Since I didn't read the manga I don't know how well they adapted it, but I'm sure that it garnered enough attention from the manga to make it into the J-drama field.
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I've read volumes 1-7, and I love it. Even though I'd heard great things about it, I was actually a little hesitant to get it at first because I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I'm very glad I picked it up. It has kept me interested since the beginning, and it seems to keep getting better. When I start reading a volume, it's often hard for me to stop reading because I can't wait to see what will happen next. 18 volumes is pretty long, but I will get them all. I have to see how it ends.

I took me a little while to get used to the art though. It's so different than most other manga. The art is actually great, but at very first glance, it can look kinda ugly. But I really do like it now. The characters may not be attractive, but they look more realistic, and it's not hard to tell them apart.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:04 am Reply with quote
I've loved the 7-8 volumes I've read, but this is one of those series where I can't stand the wait between volumes due to all the little details and characters, so I've stopped reading them for the time being. I'll restart from the beginning when its about time for the last volume to come out.
Momoko_Yumi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I love this series. It's really great. The story has many suspences. And it's interessting for me too, because I'm German and the story plays in Germany. So this manga gives me some kind of feeling home^^. I hope you understand what I mean. But apart from playing in Germany, Monster is a really great story and after every volume you read you prayed for more...
kyokazahaya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
i love how not very important characters have a huge important part to the story that takes up like one volume or 2.
senseijoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
kyokazahaya wrote:
i love how not very important characters have a huge important part to the story that takes up like one volume or 2.

I agree, I really respect that Urasawa doesn't waste paper on incidental characters; if they are there, they are there for a reason. Some get killed, but that is what happens in a mystery-suspense story.

Momoko_Yumi: are the buildings and the customs that are depicted in the manga realistic or more a generic interpretation of Germany? i.e. Did Urasawa do his research?

ps
I've seen some of the j-drama of Fireman! it is somewhat faithful... they've added more female characters (especially in the firehouse)... hot! hot! Daigo and the spirit of the manga has been captured well. If you like the j-drama you will like the manga too.
Momoko_Yumi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote
senseijoe wrote:

Momoko_Yumi: are the buildings and the customs that are depicted in the manga realistic or more a generic interpretation of Germany? i.e. Did Urasawa do his research?

Yes this is really Germany. He did his Job very well. I'm really surprised how good he made it. I can't find any mistake in describing the German culture.
smoochy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
Momoko_Yumi wrote:
senseijoe wrote:

Yes this is really Germany. He did his Job very well. I'm really surprised how good he made it. I can't find any mistake in describing the German culture.

Urusawa is pretty famous for immersing himself completely in his works, and trying to put the most realism possible.

As for Monster, I think it's one of the best manga I've read in a long time. I really want to read the scanlations, but like with Death Note, I'm making myself wait, because the anticipation of the next volume is part of the fun for me. I'm sort of upset that they're going to wait to put out 20th Century Boys, but at least I have something to look forward to.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote
Momoko_Yumi wrote:
senseijoe wrote:

Wow, I'm impressed. One of the things that drew me into Monster so much was the settings, the backgrounds, and such; it's even more impressive now that I know it's not merely 'generic European" architechture.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2