• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Highschool of the Dead

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
manga#8592

Well it looks like we're actually getting a series that is, definetly about zombies. And this isn't Hellsing where vampires control them, this is a series where for some unknown reason we have zombies come up and start to eat people within the school. I have hopes for this series, for what the content may be, and possibly it may find itself coming over here if it can do well enough.
roujin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
It definitely seems like the kind of thing that would be brought over. Just for its concept alone. While the concept may be tired (perhaps not in manga though) I'll give it a try since I'm a sucker for high school stuff but with ZOMBIES, that's just overload Rolling Eyes
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:38 am Reply with quote
I've heard of it (Jason Miao mentions it a lot on his blog) and it sounds like a fun series if you like zombies and fanservice and a story that doesn't take itself too seriously. I guess it could be considered the Shaun of the Dead of manga.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Highschool is a bit of a misnomer. They escape the school by about the third chapter. It's pretty good so far: the heroes are all likeable, the action is good, the fanservice is good, the lead male is smart enough to resist temptation when the one chick is drunk and starts hitting on him. I don't know if I'd compare it to Shaun of the Dead, as that was a parody of zombie horror, wasn't it?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I think so, but I've only seen a couple minutes of it.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if it got brought over, Zombie titles are huge right now in American comics. I swear a new one comes out a least once a month, The Walking Dead (This is a really good title), Marvel Zombies, Marvel Zombie spin-offs, Zombies Vs Robots, Black Gas, a whole ton of "Living Dead" titles, Xombie, Army of Darkness, I could go on and on.

Horror (like Hellsing, & VHD) titles have good crossover potential because it also gets horror fans who might not other wise read manga or watch anime.

Shaun of the Dead is a parody but most Zombies fans I know still love it just as a Zombie movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
Shaun even makes a cameo in this manga Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Royal Devil wrote:
Shaun even makes a cameo in this manga Laughing

That would be something. Shaun of the Dead was a parody of zombie movies, yet still found a way in itself to share the graphic violence that you would find in a zombie movie, which isn't pretty in the first place.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:49 am Reply with quote
As said on Wiki

"Shaun, the main character in Shaun of the Dead, appears in the gasoline station store, while the main characters pass by with the bus in chapter 3. The kanji on his nametag is read as "Sai-mon", a nod to his real name, Simon Pegg. On another interesting note: Shaun seems to be completely oblivious about the apparent zombie plague, going about a normal life just as he did in Shaun of the Dead."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1