• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Isn't More Anime Made For Americans?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I'd argue that anime WAS different at one point but at this point the market is oversaturated with one type of anime and that seems to be the only type most people care about. Shows that differ from what people think anime is are often times over looked. Kurayami Santa gets next to no attention and is impossible to find as are the DLE shows. if the show is lucky enough to even be simulcasted (Flower of Evil) it gets lambasted by anime fans for looking different. What I find more often nowadays for anime fans are people who have very specific fetishes.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
"multiple-year-until-the-ratings-drop-off-the-map" series is the thing I hate MOST about American entertainment media. It ruined so many shows...

Agreed. The questioner sounds like Toriyama's editors from back in the day, or the editing staff from Bakuman that probably gave us the second half of Death Note. "No man, don't END your story, come up with some NEW villain despite the fact that you were clearly writing to a resolution here, no keep escalating things and making it bigger and just 'I can hit you HARDER now' until readers/viewers say they hate you". But yeah, who needs artistic integrity when you can maybe squeeze out a few more dollars and change something from a timeless classic into a mediocre but clearly bloated story.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
There was a period during the bubble when Gonzo made a lot of shows with a clear US-bias, like Afrosamurai, GI Joe, Witchblade, that Linkin Park video etc.
I think the most recent company to have an eye (although not necessarily both eyes) squarely on a US market is Madhouse with their Marvel titles and Supernatural. I don't know how well that's working for them but I for one haven't watched any of them (in part because they're not available streaming anywhere to my knowledge).

I don't know, Trigger did the opening titles for the second season of Adult Swim's Black Dynamite, and lots of their work has a distinctly American feel to it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The reason most of us like anime in the first place is that it's something different; it's an alternative perspective from what we usually get. It doesn't do the same things American television does, or fit into the same format. Why would you want to try to force it to be something it's not?

Exactly, and that is why I'm confused every time I see an anime fan mention something about getting anime to become main stream entertainment in the US. To do that, you would have to destroy what makes anime stand out on its own merits and force it to conform to the standards of everything main stream. What you end up with is going to be fundamentally different than what we have now.

The question mentions GITS, but you won't just magically get a mainstream audience for that because you slap it on a major network airing new episodes on the standard US schedule.

I mean anime isn't even really that mainstream in Japan except the family friendly shows and weekend morning shonen stuff.

animechic420 wrote:
It's not that they're ignorant. They would need time and really good resources to come up with accurate information so us Westerners or Europeans won't complain.

You just basically said 'they're not ignorant, they just don't know' which is the definition of ignorant. They are ignorant precisely because they don't have accurate information. That was his entire point.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
animechic420 wrote:
It's not that they're ignorant. They would need time and really good resources to come up with accurate information so us Westerners or Europeans won't complain.

You just basically said 'they're not ignorant, they just don't know' which is the definition of ignorant. They are ignorant precisely because they don't have accurate information. That was his entire point.

Also, they project their own subconscious cultural limitations on us, and believe that WE would react negatively to seeing "barbarian" Asian characters who weren't Western.
As we can see from the usually American/European heroes of a show meant for export, and the constant attempts to reimagine Hatsune Miku with "western" features every time they do a promotional event in the US.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with Justin about feeling like we don't really need something catering to American TV networks and/or audiences at this point. Just the other night, I was watching a broadcast dub on my PS4 and it struck me just how amazing that actually was. I was essentially watching anime on TV without relying on what and when a network was willing to provide.

I don't think I could get behind the questioner's idea of following the usual American model of "keep going until ratings dry up." Some anime, like many shonen series, already do this, but one thing that I've always appreciated about anime is that generally the intent is to tell a story that will reach a conclusion on its own. I feel like that helps prevent things from falling into the bland, "case/jobs/whatever of the week" scenario too often.

I can see where GITS might seem like it would work as a police procedural given the "stand alone" episodes, but I think part of what kept those episodes entertaining is that there were only going to be a certain number of them, so the creators were allowed to try out different ideas. Drag that on for too long, and eventually you retread the same territory. There was an episode that was from a suspect's perspective in 2nd GIG, but the novelty of that would wear off if we saw it once or twice a season for several years.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I don't think I could get behind the questioner's idea of following the usual American model of "keep going until ratings dry up."

I wish Index would do this actually. A new episode a week for 8 months of the year is something like 32 episodes (technically more than 32 weeks, but some weeks the networks run repeats like Christmas). At 4 episodes a book and with 3 new books a year, it would take more than 4 years to catch up (assuming you started it after S2). You could easily do 5 episodes for a lot of books which would drag that out further. Actually, I'm pretty sure most US tv shows tend to only have mid 20s episode count in a season so there must be more rerun weeks than I was thinking.

Not that I'd want the series changed for American television though...

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seska1973

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

It's this not full of 'murica loving style? Action, jokes and a bit smexy. I think this Show is direct to the US Fans
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Quote:
Do we really want stuff like the Simpsons, where the characters never develop or age for 20 years?

They actually have that with Chibi Maruko-chan, Doraemon and Sazae-san just name few big ones.

Yes, and those things are the shows that the mainstream Japanese public actually watches. The only shows that really combine a continuous story and character development with mainstream ratings are a few things on NHK, Mitsuru Adachi works (not that Cross Game commanded the ratings that Touch did, but nothing does these days),Takahashi works, and some of the Saturday morning shounen stuff. Even those are notorious for extensive recap so that normal people who miss half the episodes can catch up.

Late night TV anime really are just like OVAs with infomercials. They subsist on a tiny audience and are virtually invisible to mainstream Japanese. Expecting them to hit mainstream Americans is even more unlikely. The mainstream Japanese stuff tends to be too culturally Japanese to be a hit.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
If you want animation for an American audience, turn on Cartoon Network or Disney Anime hyper!
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Quote:
Do we really want stuff like the Simpsons, where the characters never develop or age for 20 years?

They actually have that with Chibi Maruko-chan, Doraemon and Sazae-san just name few big ones.

And if I remember correctly, Shin-Chan as well, no?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
The reason most of us like anime in the first place is that it's something different; it's an alternative perspective from what we usually get. It doesn't do the same things American television does, or fit into the same format. Why would you want to try to force it to be something it's not? And besides, by being a fan of it, you are part of a cool little subculture of fellow nerds. What more could you actually want?

Yes, yes and yes. Thank you Justin. This paragraph perfectly encapsulates why I enjoy anime. Anime please never stop being weird, weirdly sexualized, interesting, emotional, thought-provoking and artistic.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that too Tempest
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Give it a week, then all those who want anime to meet western sensibilities will come out of hiding.

There is still a strong movement of fans in anime, that want anime made with the west strongly in mind. For them the draw of anime is not that it is different than the west, but the Japanese use of the medium for everything, which the west doesn't really do.

So they have no problem with stripping the Japanese (or what makes anime different to the west) out of anime.

I love my western entertainment world, but I also love anime, because it is different and usually not something that you can get in the west.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
Whoa, now. While I do agree Japan should dish out more U.S./E.U. based anime, we gotta remember that Japan's Japan.

It's not that they're ignorant. They would need time and really good resources to come up with accurate information so us Westerners or Europeans won't complain. Japan just sometimes likes to stay a little close to their home turf so almost everyone gets what they want.

No need for the "whoa now". It's just an observation. And like it's been stated, they don't need to do anything to cater to the U.S. We're perfectly content with what they bring us. They don't need to waste their time. They should just produce what they like doing; it's what draws us to their zany and unique ideas.

Last edited by Just-another-face on Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8