• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: China Blacklists Attack on Titan, Death Note, 36 More Anime/Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed like 90% of the shows on that list! They totally forgot Hellsing, Evangelion, Darker Than Black and Baccano lol. (The school days listing made me chuckle hehe)
Foxaika

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I wish we had clearly explained why they were banned. That's more interesting to me than the dull cries of censorship. No need to go over anything we know already. But the reasoning on the other hand...could not only give us something to chuckle about, but perhaps a look into Chinese culture perhaps in regards to what is considered "decent".

I wonder for example, what makes School Days so offensive? Twisted Evil
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Prisma Ilya isn't on the list? Oh my Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
They probably won't explain it because it'd then cause questions of "If X was banned due to A, why wasn't Y banned due to A too?" or because the actual reasons are ideological and not actually offensive. Based on what I know about these series (and I must admit I don't know much about most of them), a good number of them have an anti-authoritarian bent. That is, the heroes tend to be rebels battling against whatever force governs their lives. The Chinese government wants its population to be as unquestioningly loyal as it can, and anything that can plant seeds of doubt is off limits.

Note that, while it creates a good deal of resentment because of its heavy-handedness (like the Golden Shield banning discussion about a species of frog because its Chinese name is homonymous with their word for "harmonize," a term used sarcastically in discussing governmental policy), there is a significant cultural difference here too. Most of the people posting on ANN live in North America or Europe, which have cultures that encourage people to question everything and that superiors have to earn their followers' trust. In China, loyalty to one's superiors is a virtue and has been ingrained into people, much as rebelliousness is ingrained into westerners, long before the communists took over. The prevailing thought is that people in positions of authority are inherently good and that, unless proven otherwise, they must have good intentions for any actions they take. This leads to people in China, and people who have immigrated from China, to see westerners as somewhat scary, as walking powder kegs. I have seen Chinese propaganda, for instance, that denounces the United States as a country for having disloyal people and blames its government for allowing its people to run amok like children in a playpen.

My mom, who grew up in a culture, while not Chinese, was VERY heavily influenced by it, does not like any work of fiction that displays disloyalty to one's superiors, whether it's the boss at work, the mayor of a town, religious figures or clergy, or the leader of a country. She believes it is incredibly rude and disrespectful and believes it's a societal problem that shows like South Park can be so popular.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
They probably won't explain it because it'd then cause questions of "If X was banned due to A, why wasn't Y banned due to A too?" or because the actual reasons are ideological and not actually offensive. Based on what I know about these series (and I must admit I don't know much about most of them), a good number of them have an anti-authoritarian bent. That is, the heroes tend to be rebels battling against whatever force governs their lives. The Chinese government wants its population to be as unquestioningly loyal as it can, and anything that can plant seeds of doubt is off limits.

Yeah, I figure that might very well be the case. Regardless, I am interested nonetheless.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
believes it's a societal problem that shows like South Park can be so popular.

I often don't like shows like that, not because of disrespect or anything like that, but because the humor often doesn't work for me.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Most of the people posting on ANN live in North America or Europe, which have cultures that encourage people to question everything and that superiors have to earn their followers' trust...
My mom, who grew up in a culture, while not Chinese, was VERY heavily influenced by it, does not like any work of fiction that displays disloyalty to one's superiors, whether it's the boss at work, the mayor of a town, religious figures or clergy, or the leader of a country.

Wha, it was only yesterday that those younguns at the colonies went this wild idea about a democracy where there was no such thing as kings whose dynasty was god approved. Cool

It is not that the chinese governing model is different, it is just old/outdated. Even japan hasn't outgrown out of their medieval traditions. Heck, here in Mexico we also had a party dicatorship like China has, it took 70 years to end it. So I will not be surprised the day China cuts any direct connection with the exterior thru the internet, they are trying to have their cake and eat it with internet censorship model.
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Surprised they care about the insurgent group in the gun grave part of Sword Art, but not the idea of a game Creator trapping every player in a Deadly game. Would think 1st season is more terrorist than Death Gun.

When I saw Devilman lady specifically I was sure there would be more lesbian or intersex examples. Maybe it really was targetted because the government was led by the bad one. lady is nowhere close to as gory or sexualized as the 80`s devilman OVAs. Can`t call the original `72 series all that subversive though it had a lot of sexualization. Though lady does have the government rounding up abnormals.

Expect a rise in the interest for every show that meets that list. Chinese citizens have more interest in loyalty, but I`m sure the younger generations are very happy to bypass the chinese internet and actually use the web. Government control is becoming very complicated now that citizens are begginning to see more of the world outside their homes.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone really surprised? That country banned Battlefield 4 for its lousy campaign.
Draft/Matic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure at least 90% of the people here don't even know the slightest idea of what China means when they "ban" a series. Hint: the death note Chinese scans are still widely available , just a quick google search away (disclaimer:not encouraging piracy). When the CPC "bans" a series, it usually means it gets removed from the more popular sources, but is still widely accessible from secondary sources (which I will not mention, not trying to encourage piracy here at all). Seems like everyone here thinks the Great Firewall is some kind of mythical beast ( hint:it isn't).
Foxaika

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Draft/Matic wrote:
I'm pretty sure at least 90% of the people here don't even know the slightest idea

Not sure why you think that, what you've said has already been brought up prior, and I don't recall anyone saying that they'd be impossible to read/watch now. But I don't know, maybe I missed something.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
China: Banning Testament of Sister New Devil for the public good since 2015. Very Happy

I like how they're all like, well, we'd better ban Psycho Pass, but let's not fuss over PP2, it sucked anyways. Laughing
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:
Surprised they care about the insurgent group in the gun grave part of Sword Art, but not the idea of a game Creator trapping every player in a Deadly game. Would think 1st season is more terrorist than Death Gun.
China's fighting active Islamic insurgents on its own soil and has even gone so far as to force shops in the area to sell alcohol and make it consipicuous. They're kind of touchy about it(though it's hard to one-up Putin on the subject).
blutzauger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Considering that the Filipino-Chinese friendship day was cancelled (I heard, the Chinese community are the one's who vocally cancelled it) because of territorial conflict and these Anime-banning issue, I have to wonder if China just loves to be hated by the rest of the world (makes them look childish for me). Maybe it's just me...
Draft/Matic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
blutzauger wrote:
Considering that the Filipino-Chinese friendship day was cancelled (I heard, the Chinese community are the one's who vocally cancelled it) because of territorial conflict and these Anime-banning issue, I have to wonder if China just loves to be hated by the rest of the world (makes them look childish for me). Maybe it's just me...

That's like asking if the West likes to be hated by the Middle East.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Russia and China are two great powers deciding to play by older rules, both outwards and inwards.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7