• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Some Upset Over Change in Parasyte Live-Action Film's Climatic Scene

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
The headline should say "Climactic" not "climatic".
Carlooo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:38 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
-Also have a problem with demanding the director change it for the BD release though. Look, you can think its a bad decision but at the end of the day it's the decision he made. I don't think you should start editing an existing work just because fans don't like one of your decisions.

Um, do you fail to see the irony here? You claim that one shouldn't edit an existing work but the director was the guy who changed the existing plot in the first place. To send your own words back at you, he may not have wanted toxins because he thought they were no longer relevant, but at the end of the day it was the choice of the mangaka to use toxins instead of something else, so he should have respected that decision.

Instead of criticising fans for wanting change you should understand that they're only responding to the unnecessary and frankly atrociously-written change that the director made to the plot. Had the new script not introduced several new plot holes, and had it not come about simply because of the luddite director's pet peeve, then it wouldn't have been nearly as much of an issue.

It isn't necessarily a good change, but this is the director's take on the manga. If you want to see the original authors take on the material, you can just read the manga, it still exists!

Fans shouldn't get offended by every little change in an adaptation. If we do, the quality of adaptations will slowly but surely worsen over time.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:57 am Reply with quote
Wonder if it was Hollywood that made this change....

Fukushima nuclear power plant fiasco still a sore point in Japan. They haven't restarted any of their nuclear power plants since; they're still all off.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:08 am Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:

Well spotted. Bit sad that no-one else (including myself) noticed it until you pointed it out. My powers are declining.

Carlooo wrote:
It isn't necessarily a good change, but this is the director's take on the manga. If you want to see the original authors take on the material, you can just read the manga, it still exists!

The director has just shoehorned in his own themes with no thought or respect given to the manga. And while the manga is still there with the original toxin scene intact, I think it is reasonable for fans to want a movie adaptation to be as faithful to their beloved manga as possible. Some changes are necessary when adapting a long-running manga onto film, no doubt about that. But swapping out a reasonably-explained toxin scene for a plot-hole-riddled radiation scene just on the director's whim was not a necessary change.

Carlooo wrote:
Fans shouldn't get offended by every little change in an adaptation. If we do, the quality of adaptations will slowly but surely worsen over time.

This doesn't logically follow; you have the cause-and-effect round the wrong way.. May I remind you that the "little change" in this movie resulted in several plot holes being stuck right into the climax of the story, thereby reducing the quality of the adaptation? Fans didn't lower the quality of the adaptation with their anger, the movie adaptation was lower quality than the original manga thereby angering fans.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
How about RESPECTING the manga! You ---, oops, control...
Nowadays, some directors think they are entitled to do even the minor changes to the reference. I won't say all is bad but, they should've just went through the material, it's the spirit of the show. So why bother change it?

Just my 2 cents anyways... In this case, I'm Crying or Very sad
glitchhunter

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:15 am Reply with quote
Anyone who's complaining, it's their fault for watching the 2nd movie in the first place. They should have realised how crappy it was going to be from how crap the first one was and avoided it.

The first movie was so incredibly terrible, with scenes cut, changed, and even an entire character (Shinichi's dad) no longer existed. Can't expect the 2nd movie to be better.

I went to see the first movie while I was in Japan and I just about got up and left half way. I would have in Australia, but I didn't know if leaving would be considered terribly rude in Japan or something.
glitchhunter

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
Anyone who's complaining, it's their fault for watching the 2nd movie in the first place. They should have realised how crappy it was going to be from how crap the first one was and avoided it.

The first movie was so incredibly terrible, with scenes cut, changed, and even an entire character (Shinichi's dad) no longer existed. Can't expect the 2nd movie to be better.

I went to see the first movie while I was in Japan and I just about got up and left half way. I would have in Australia, but I didn't know if leaving would be considered terribly rude in Japan or something.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:56 am Reply with quote
glitchhunter wrote:
Anyone who's complaining, it's their fault for watching the 2nd movie in the first place.

So no-one is allowed to criticise the second movie at all? Ehhhhh . . . ?

glitchhunter wrote:
...and even an entire character (Shinichi's dad) no longer existed.

I can actually understand why they made this change; it almost certainly was done to reduce runtime. Like I said before, adapting a long-running manga into a movie (even two movies) is simply impossible without cutting out some things. Shinichi's father wasn't important to the core story and so was a logical candidate for being excised. If I was the director I would have done the same.

I'll put it this way. The Parasyte anime was around seven and-a-half hours long, excluding logos, OP/ED theme music and next episode previews. Nearly half of the runtime has to be chopped down for the story to fit inside two feature-length movies. That means tough decisions about what is important-enough to leave in and what can be safely left out.
glitchhunter

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
glitchhunter wrote:
Anyone who's complaining, it's their fault for watching the 2nd movie in the first place.

So no-one is allowed to criticise the second movie at all? Ehhhhh . . . ?

glitchhunter wrote:
...and even an entire character (Shinichi's dad) no longer existed.

I can actually understand why they made this change; it almost certainly was done to reduce runtime. Like I said before, adapting a long-running manga into a movie (even two movies) is simply impossible without cutting out some things. Shinichi's father wasn't important to the core story and so was a logical candidate for being excised. If I was the director I would have done the same.

I'll put it this way. The Parasyte anime was around seven and-a-half hours long, excluding logos, OP/ED theme music and next episode previews. Nearly half of the runtime has to be chopped down for the story to fit inside two feature-length movies. That means tough decisions about what is important-enough to leave in and what can be safely left out.

Yep, everyone should have pretended the 2nd movie didn't exist after seeing how awful the first one was, haha Razz

Not just the cut character though, several other scenes were changed and cut around like crazy.

Btw sorry for the double post earlier ANN went down just as a posted, so my forum post didn't seem to go through the first time as it was talking forever to load.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Parasyte is my favorite horror manga (i read it in one sitting 10 years ago) and this change is unneeded as the serie´s thematic hasn´t aged since 95 (the years the last volume came out) but i don´t find this to be that big of a problem as a fan as the theme itself is still left intact.
The logic leap is for course there but the life action version frankly has way bigger problems than any of this side business. Whatever and read the manga as it is better then the "excellent" anime due to calmer pacing and a lack of censorship.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Thu May 21, 2015 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brutannica

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Tempest_Wing wrote:

Good catch.
casualfan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
He gets what he deserves for turning a movie into some political bs. This is one of the reasons why people should keep their own sh*t beliefs or ideologies to themselves. It just ruins the entertainment.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:47 am Reply with quote
Have to agree, this wasn't just the directors spin on the manga, it was an introduction of his pet cause. Seems more of a cut and paste effort, since the new material is not reconciled with the rest of the story, which many have already mentioned, has caused several new plot holes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2