• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Antartic press

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone follow any of they're stories? they dont have a huge prescence in the manga market although being around for over 20 years now. I of some titles but only read one or two issues like NHS.

I just really know they're hotstuff in the american manga-ka world.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Actually no one I've seen in the OEL community seems to care much about Antarctic. I've never been a fanatical fan, but Gold Digger is worth looking into if you can find the bricks. The Courageous Princess is also a good read, especially if your knowledgeable when it comes to fairy tales. Dark Horse just published a new edition that's popping up in just about every Borders I've been to.
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Quote:

Actually no one I've seen in the OEL community seems to care much about Antarctic. I've never been a fanatical fan, but Gold Digger is worth looking into if you can find the bricks. The Courageous Princess is also a good read, especially if your knowledgeable when it comes to fairy tales. Dark Horse just published a new edition that's popping up in just about every Borders I've been to.

Courageous Princess was so cute, I really liked it a lot. The art style was a good middle ground of anime inspired but not trying to hard to look like anime. I read it at work (I work in a comic book store) and I was rather surprised by it, it's not perfect but it's a very solid book, worth a look if you like fantasy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
The only place I've found their stuff is at the local library. They also seem to have a booth in every con I've been too. I've read a few of their series, Neotopia, Alice in Wonderland, Twilight X, Herc and Thor. I found most of them mediocre and Herc and Thor was just painful to read.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arakis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:21 am Reply with quote
Ninja High School was arguably the main reason I got into manga and anime in the first place, back in the early 90s when I only knew about the small Amerimanga scene and had only just scratched the surface of what Japan had to offer.

Having said that, I was still a teenager at the time. Though I still enjoy NHS and and am picking up the trade paperbacks that are coming out, when I reread it now a lot of the magic seems to be gone. Though the series started out "heavily influenced" by Urusei Yatsura and various other stories, it managed to grow into its own and got better as it went along. The same can easily be said for the art.

I guess I like it now mainly for nostalgia value. I never really followed any other AP titles, but I say NHS is at least worth a look.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I love Gold Digger....I probably own more of that than almost any other comic I collect. Fred Perry is a phenomenal artist, and his characters are all super-endearing. I highly recommend this series to anybody.

And a lot of people forget this, but back in the day Antarctic Press published manga! Most of their stuff was actual doujinshi picked up at Comicket, stuff like Silbuster (shades of Outlanders) and the works of Bang Ippongi. They stopped publishing manga when the people who did all their manga production left AP to form Studio Ironcat, which is a shame...they really dug up some unheard of gems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Althalus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the old Gold Digger b&w series is still one of my favourite comics ever, in art as in content, period. Exactly the right kind of humor, too. Only the current series is becoming a little too epic for my tastes. I'd probably need to re-read them all in order, to really understand how all those interlocking story-lines come together. Still great stuff, though.

~Althalus
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1