• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Manga Banned Around the Globe

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D-Rock

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote
So "Sugar Pot" and "Welcome to Sugar Pot" are two completely different manga?
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:23 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
jymmy wrote:
Nichijou is just called Nichijou, though. It's called such on Wikipedia, Crunchyroll and the DVD release.

And what about My Ordinary Life?

I've seen the title as Nichijou: My Ordinary Life. Maybe it's an Australian thing?
http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/20937/nichijou-my-ordinary-life-series-collection-subtitled-edition
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:38 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
Kodomo no Jikan should've definitely been on the list.

As was previously discussed in this thread, that manga was never banned; the publisher decided not to publish it after all.
So he banned it before they did. Laughing
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Nichijou is just called Nichijou, though. It's called such on Wikipedia, Crunchyroll and the DVD release.

angelmcazares wrote:

And what about My Ordinary Life?

Ali07 wrote:

I've seen the title as Nichijou: My Ordinary Life. Maybe it's an Australian thing?
http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/20937/nichijou-my-ordinary-life-series-collection-subtitled-edition
{Corrected your over-quoting. ~nobahn}
That's the release I was referring to; "My Ordinary Life" is in there, but so is "Nichijou". The original question was on English titles versus "Japanese, and whether Nichijou's not being listed would make people recognise it less. I'm fairly certain with this title that would not be the case.
Polycell wrote:
Barnes & Noble refused to carry it(and I've heard rumors they also threatened to not carry Seven Seas if they published it at all), so it wouldn't have made any sense to go through with. They might have gotten away with it under that title, but the instant they got stuck with "Nymphet", it was pretty much game over.

Hm, I hadn't heard that. Thanks for the additional information. And yeah, "Nymphet" is really an unfortunate title.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

That's the release I was referring to; "My Ordinary Life" is in there, but so is "Nichijou". The original question was on English titles versus "Japanese, and whether Nichijou's not being listed would make people recognise it less. I'm fairly certain with this title that would not be the case.

Yeah, the one word Japanese title that was never officially released in the one country where everything gets translated, sometimes for a good reason like the literal Godzilla, Mothra King Ghidora: Giant Monster All Out- oh just call it Godzilla's Rampage for crying out loud..., is better known than its three word English equivalent.

I'd rather have My Ordinary Life because it'd come with a dubbed home release. Maybe.

What would I want on television? After discarding shows that would need to be edited for content, interchangeable base shounen and adaptations that are just incomplete commercials for the books... and really, really long shows, looking at you, Space Brothers... wow, what's left that should be watched by the masses?

Shirobako. Ok, that's just weird. But awesome!

Oh, and Steins;gate. Also awesome. And weird. But you could pick up the Dr. Who crowd. I'm more a Dwarfer but I hear the Doctor is big, for some reason.

Got to go with the one that's dubbed, sadly. Not that there isn't a chance that Shirobako could get dubbed, it's just a chance more akin to a snowball in that really hot place.
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
In Japan an old example is the ero-manga Honey Room considered obscene. (Another, though not manga, is the Sakai Library Incident several years ago targeting BL novels that was interesting as well. In the end the books were restored there.)

In English I’ve lost track of all the changes with Akira Toriyama’s titles over the years. For Dragonball VIZ said it pretty much had to do with the state of the industry at the different times the editions came out. I think the small red trim ones are the best in terms of alteration but, you have to get the right printing/edition of those. VIZ and most other publishers for that matter have rarely been consistent even in a short time frame with how content is handled by category, author, age ratings, or imprint anyway. (The Japanese side has a say of course too which is always good to remember since there are cases where difference in an English edition came from there instead.)

I don’t even try to figure out what to expect anymore. Every year it seems something is published in one way or another that will bemuse me. I’ve already been a little surprised twice in the last six months. I can barely imagine how difficult it is for people not familiar with the publishers in different countries or Japanese comics in general. I’ve tried sometimes to help parents find something appropriate for their children and it’s not always a simple task.

When repeatedly people attract negative attention to manga, light novels, and anime or even material inspired by it (especially when they use inflammatory language either for the hysterical anxieties that can induce or, because of fundamental misinterpretations) I somewhat understand the difficult positions companies are in. There are a lot of other methods besides banning and legal action that can have very detrimental effects as well.

Kodomo no Jikan in the U.S. is an interesting example of other circumstances besides outright banning or a book being official judged illegal that can restrict material and have other larger effects. Issues with one or many entities involved at some stage from when a title is licensed to available for sale can be much more insidious.

In an opposite situation I wonder if the imported books Handley plead guilty over would count though? It is possibly unfortunate the legal arguments weren’t able to play out in his case.

In the U.S there have also been challenges or negative publicity over Hero Heel, Peach Girl, and Vampire Knight. Not to mention issues (some legal) with comics that origin was mistaken as being from Japan that affected licensed products too. (Pirated material online can also affect attitudes in an interesting way. It’s difficult to prevent children finding material online that a publisher in a country would not publish. Some parents feel publishers still play a part though if a minor was interested in a translated work by an artist and so the minor looked up and found inappropriate material by that artist online. It can be even easier for such misconceptions regarding the nature of an artist’s work to happen when titles are censored in a country.)

And I unfortunately know the religious contentions over pop culture very well. I was raised in a religion that was harsh on Japanese pop culture (among other things) beginning in the 1980s. And yeah when Pokémon came around people thought it was demonic because the characters were summoning creatures out of balls. I think how I was raised is more of a minority experience though. Fortunately it didn’t kill my curiosity or critical thinking.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised something like Hellsing didn't make the list? Maybe it isn't popular enough to be banned lol
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
At first I surprised thinking, "Even To Love RU??!"

But then I remembered how graphic the Darkness manga is and was like oh wait never mind.

and considering that the manga isnt even in the US is saying something. the author unfortunately made them too mature for any manga company like del rey or seven seas to pick it up.

Quote:
Yuzupon's racy manga was one of the first officially pulled after the passing of Tokyo's Youth Healthy Development Ordinance put "harmful publications" in its sights. Other targeted works include Oku-sama wa Shōgakusei (My Wife Is an Elementary Student) and the incest-romance manga Aki Sora.

which of course seriously pissed off a lot of the otaku community that once again the dumbass gov't is messing around with the industry by putting in these idiotic laws.

hell i have a feeling that cause of this law, it caused many of the authors of some incest romance series to make their main characters step siblings like in oriemo and others, &/or cousins like in SAO.

hopefully when the next election comes around, the manga authors will back someone that will repeal this stupid law from the books or do a complete boycott by moving to the US, cause its stupidity to the highest degree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
hell i have a feeling that cause of this law, it caused many of the authors of some incest romance series to make their main characters step siblings like in oriemo and others, &/or cousins like in SAO.

In Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai the two leads aren't step-siblings, but full-on, blood-related ones.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
I'm surprised something like Hellsing didn't make the list? Maybe it isn't popular enough to be banned lol

Hellsing surprisingly has never had any controversy in the West despite a confusing 13+ rating on the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The one I that I think I agree with the most is Death Note because of the various Death Note stories that have happened in various news outlets.
I agree with the other dude, the manga should not get banned just because of a few immature children. The book is only meant for entertainment and nothing more. Any decision those idiots made during those death note stories did was their decision alone. The book has a older teen rating for a reason. Only older mature teens and older that can tell the difference between reality and fiction should read it.
Stratum

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I first saw JAWS (R) when I was about 8

Jaws is rated PG and at the most Jaws: The Revenge got a PG-13(which was unavailable before).
EleutheroMaster

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Whether more series will find similar fates due to the upcoming Japan 2020 Olympics remains to be seen.

The Tokyo Olympics were won because of Prime Minister Abe's lie about the state of the Fukushima 1 plant, destroyed by the 2011 Tohoku earthquake! So in this situation, Tokyo doesn't morally deserve the Olympics and the banning would have been lesser.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
EleutheroMaster wrote:
Whether more series will find similar fates due to the upcoming Japan 2020 Olympics remains to be seen.

The Tokyo Olympics were won because of Prime Minister Abe's lie about the state of the Fukushima 1 plant, destroyed by the 2011 Tohoku earthquake! So in this situation, Tokyo doesn't morally deserve the Olympics and the banning would have been lesser.

Moral judgements. Sadly for you they can apply to all nations, depending on who you ask. Guess that means we will have to cancel the Olympics forever, since no nation is pure. Maybe New Horizons will find an alien civilization on Pluto and they can hold one.

But on a more sympathetic note, I was in Japan when during the Kobe earthquake, and I think we all know about the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, which washed away several Japanese cities and destroyed 420 mile section of coastline. Not to mention the incredible human costs.

So I see no real problem with Japan having the Olympics. They are much more deserving than Putin's Russia.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Hellsing surprisingly has never had any controversy in the West despite a confusing 13+ rating on the manga.

Well that's a shock.

Cause considering that they made the church as villains and have nazi racisit type tendicies, i would have been sure that the german people let alone a majority of Catholics would be very very peeved at hellsing. which might have the reason why the TV series committee made it so different than the manga version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9