• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scarlett Johansson: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Begins Filming in Early 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

What is wrong with Arise tough? It´s just SAC with a stronger anti-terror/crime focus.

I think some people's problem with Arise is that it's essentially SAC... except it isn't, leading people to wonder why they didn't just make more SAC. Either they changed too much or not enough to justify making a new version of GitS.

I liked Arise, personally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:07 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
As for GITS being a rip-off of Blade Runner, I'll assume that's a joke Confused

If you watch them back to back you'll see how much a rip-off GitS-movie really was, down to even copying the camerawork of Ridley Scott. It's no secret either, Oshii has said in an interview that Blade Runner is one of his favorite movies and he has seen it more than 30 times - and that is truly obvious.

People giving Oshii credit should actually send them to Scott.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
I too am less concerned about Scarlet Johansson and much more so about the resumes of the production staff. All these ingrdients do not a tasty soup make.
scriver058

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Kusanagi is largely emotionless and monotone. Johansson will be fine.

Holy hell, did everyone that reacted to this completely miss the bolded part? In every version of GiTS, the Major is in fact largely emotionless and monotone. Yes, she has more personality in SAC, but she still is what she's always been shown to be. Johansson can do that in her sleep.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
@Moroboshi-san, nevermind, I thought you were referring to the franchise as a whole. The original GITS, which is overrated imo, I definitely can see the "homage" to Blade Runner. Also, a lot of people don't realize that all the "deep" stuff from the '95 movie was already in the manga, so Shirow deserves just as much credit for the movie as Oshii.

penguintruth wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
What is wrong with Arise tough? It´s just SAC with a stronger anti-terror/crime focus.

Either they changed too much or not enough to justify making a new version of GitS.

I thought Arise was fine as well but you can't please everyone. It's too bad a lot of GITS fans talk about Arise like some dirty secret.

scriver058 wrote:
Holy hell, did everyone that reacted to this completely miss the bolded part? In every version of GiTS, the Major is in fact largely emotionless and monotone.Yes, she has more personality in SAC, but she still is what she's always been shown to be.

Again, the "largely emotionless" part comes from the movie-only watchers. Just because the '95 movie came out first doesn't mean that movie is the canon depiction of her personality. There's a fine line between emotionless and subtle emotions. Just because the Major doesn't have angry outbursts or act perky does not make her largely emotionless. I have no issue with Johansson being cast for the role, my issue is with stereotypes about Motoko's personality. That said, it's pretty obvious the staff on this movie will only be looking at the '95 movie. I highly doubt that anyone will bother checking out the original manga or SAC.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't know if I actually want this to be good or just interestingly terrible, which it's more likely to be.

unfortunately its gonna be god awful as with most of these anime based live action movies. dont get me wrong, she is good in the avengers movies but, she definitely wouldnt make the cut as the major. and considering that we have history on our side (we mean you DB Evolution) ts safe to say that this series will be a massive bomb fest just like that movie. worse case or best case scenario (depending on who you ask) would be that it would be a direct to DVD just like with the Kite movie.

they would have had a better chance if they had allowed angelina jolie as mokoto instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
A 8.165 is a dirty secret? Well i gave the OVA an "excellent" and A.A. + Ore Monogatari are anime of the year candidates. I also upvoted the Imdb pages and recommend it to every geek i know so much job is done. Look dear anons.
GitS, Sailor Moon (will it be Megan Fox or Jennifer Lawrence?), Batman or... will all be adapted and remade/rebooted every 5 to 10-ish years as that is a license holder´s and Hollywood´s raison d'etre. Have fun with the next 10 alternate universes, random ova remixes/3D conversions, highly needed PS2/PSP games (the PSX one is ok), more books none will touch and whatever Kōkaku Kidōtai Nyumon Arise is. Expect a petition (one exist against the 2017 version) in 2027 too that will complain that the 2017 "classic" is being remade as it will be the only GitS they will know.

I frankly doubt if the staff will even bother that much Coresignal with the first movie or if they should as the movie just too "dated" now and too cerebral on top. No 3D glasses wearing crowd will be interested in any of that as the spirit of GitS is the opposite of main stream.
It is Cyberpunk after all and the movie needed to happen 15 years go if at all and it can only turn into Matrix 33 1/3 or an alternative to Resident Evil at this point.
Worst of all is that Edge of Tomorrow did it right and could have set a standard but it flopped so the studios notices and certainly won´t care for the next few years to hire actual talent.
Who knows when our next chance will show up. Pacific Rim 2 barely went into production, HBO´s Monster is probably dead again and... i got nothing but maybe the proposed Bible Black life action adaptation will save us. Oh god and Robotech by Michael Gordon (he "wrote" G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra) will be nonsense too. This movie may be the least of our problems.
@TarsTarkas Hm. I love the new character designs but Batou is naked without his ponytail.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

I think some people's problem with Arise is that it's essentially SAC... except it isn't, leading people to wonder why they didn't just make more SAC. Either they changed too much or not enough to justify making a new version of GitS.

Personally, I thought the new character designs are crap. I felt that it is a significant issue. Though I am giving Arise a try, will see if the magic is still there.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:17 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
[Personally, I thought the new character designs are crap. I felt that it is a significant issue. Though I am giving Arise a try, will see if the magic is still there.

But their character designs are basically their SAC designs, but younger-looking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
A 8.165 is a dirty secret? Well i gave the OVA an "excellent" and A.A. + Ore Monogatari are anime of the year candidates. I also upvoted the Imdb pages and recommend it to every geek i know so much job is done. Look dear anons.
GitS, Sailor Moon (will it be Megan Fox or Jennifer Lawrence?), Batman or... will all be adapted and remade/rebooted every 5 to 10-ish years as that is a license holder´s and Hollywood´s raison d'etre. Have fun with the next 10 alternate universes, random ova remixes/3D conversions, highly needed PS2/PSP games (the PSX one is ok), more books none will touch and whatever Kōkaku Kidōtai Nyumon Arise is. Expect a petition (one exist against the 2017 version) in 2027 too that will complain that the 2017 "classic" is being remade as it will be the only GitS they will know.

I frankly doubt if the staff will even bother that much Coresignal with the first movie or if they should as the movie just too "dated" now and too cerebral on top. No 3D glasses wearing crowd will be interested in any of that as the spirit of GitS is the opposite of main stream.
It is Cyberpunk after all and the movie needed to happen 15 years go if at all and it can only turn into Matrix 33 1/3 or an alternative to Resident Evil at this point.
Worst of all is that Edge of Tomorrow did it right and could have set a standard but it flopped so the studios notices and certainly won´t care for the next few years to hire actual talent.
Who knows when our next chance will show up. Pacific Rim 2 barely went into production, HBO´s Monster is probably dead again and... i got nothing but maybe the proposed Bible Black life action adaptation will save us. Oh god and Robotech by Michael Gordon (he "wrote" G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra) will be nonsense too. This movie may be the least of our problems.
@TarsTarkas Hm. I love the new character designs but Batou is naked without his ponytail.

which is why this movie will be hated by fans everywhere. and you might as well forget any though of a robotech movie cause considering that pacific rim bombed, this idea is gonna be scrapped along with any ideas of a cowboy bepop movie.

also THERE WILL NEVER EVER BE AN ADAPTATION VERSION OF BIBLE BLACK!EVER!!!!! discipline? probably but only if its animated and is a non hentai ecchi/harem type series like highschool dxd. but their never gonna have a life action version let alone a non hentai version of bible black.

while some ero games and visual novels like sister princess, clannad shuffle and of course some of the type-moon series like fate stay night and tsukihime will work if it have the right production committee, bible black is one series that will never work no matter how much editing is done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Pacific Rim only failed to make up its production costs in the United States. Worldwide, it made back more than double its costs, to where a sequel is planned for 2017.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
^
LOL, I think you posted that in the wrong thread.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
No, it was in response to this:

jr0904 wrote:
which is why this movie will be hated by fans everywhere. and you might as well forget any though of a robotech movie cause considering that pacific rim bombed, this idea is gonna be scrapped along with any ideas of a cowboy bepop movie.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I see. Sorry about that.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
No worries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5