• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Record Town and Media Play

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

You can't compare the two imo. Interns are interns. They aren't professionals or even entry-level. They have no degree in the field, let alone real world work experience. It is honestly is an opportunity for them because under no under circumstances would someone with no knowledge or experience get the access and training they receive from whoever they intern with.

When people say interns should be paid, I think they should ask why should an intern be hired. They have no experience and they don't even have education. They would always be a poor quality candidate by default and likely the worst candidate that would realistically apply.

I was a paid intern at NIH (I made enough money to pay off my community college tuition every year), just for the record. I also know my former classmates that were also paid intern, so intern can be paid. It just depend on which sector you're interning at.

Polycell wrote:
@leafy sea dragon:

The main reason for the internet speeds being crap in the US is them being monopolies - for instance, Google recently started rolling out here and Time Warner Cable shot our connection speed up to about three times what we had(from 80Mbs to over 200Mbs). Turns out banning competition has the expected results.

Which brings me to the reason why home video ain't going nowhere anytime soon: not everybody can get good internet, period. My father lives in small town out in the sticks where you can buy faster internet options from TWC, but you won't get faster internet; DSL only works if you're so close to the base station and satellite has crippling bandwidth caps with high prices. If you live too far out, you can still be stuck with dial-up.

I think there's another reason. US's aging (and probably outdated) internet infrastructure is probably to be blame for this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
@leafy sea dragon:

The main reason for the internet speeds being crap in the US is them being monopolies - for instance, Google recently started rolling out here and Time Warner Cable shot our connection speed up to about three times what we had(from 80Mbs to over 200Mbs). Turns out banning competition has the expected results.

Which brings me to the reason why home video ain't going nowhere anytime soon: not everybody can get good internet, period. My father lives in small town out in the sticks where you can buy faster internet options from TWC, but you won't get faster internet; DSL only works if you're so close to the base station and satellite has crippling bandwidth caps with high prices. If you live too far out, you can still be stuck with dial-up.

What everybody singing the dirges of physical media forgets is the art of perspective: yes, your little bubble might be free from issues that cause problems for streaming everything, but rural areas aren't so lucky - and America's rural.

Exactly. That's why I mentioned about Internet lines being private in the United States, each of them owned by a company. It means every individual line has been monopolized the moment it was created. When you have multiple competing businesses in an area, it's because there are multiple networks in an area, not because the lines are being shared.

In Europe, Central America, South America, and much of Asia (I don't know about Australia or any other region I didn't mention), these connections are public. Any service is allowed to use the country's entire network, and they can be shared anywhere. In some countries, the government sets them up, and in some countries, private companies set them up but must allow competing services to use them too. As a result, competition is fierce, and they can get blazing Internet at relatively low prices. By comparison, the United States is behind most of Eastern Europe in Internet speed relative to price.

Something else to consider is that major Internet service providers in the USA are doing what the phone service providers are already doing: Reinforcing the oligopoly by buying up smaller companies. Clearwire, for instance, promised fast, cheap mobile Internet and did just that--until Sprint purchased it with the intent to dismantle it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Felis wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
You still have to sit through the [expletive] ads for TV shows even if you're a paid HuluPlus member.

There is no win.

You could always subscribe to Funimation, The Anime Network, or Crunchyroll instead. Then you can watch all your anime ad-free.

I have a Hulu Plus subscription myself, which I use to mostly watch US TV shows, and whenever there is a commercial break I only get 1 or 2 short ads. Considering the amount of content Hulu has, a few short ads are easy enough to deal with.

I also have Hulu Plus, mainly because the anime and TV show selections blow Amazon and Netflix out of the water. I can deal with the short commercial breaks, but I hate how they rerun the same commercials more often than cable. But it's only one or two a show, so I can deal.

It's also worth nothing that children's programming is commercial free, and I've also gone through very long periods of streaming movies there with no commercials. I recently watched three in a row with only one commercial in between the second and third.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
To add what several people have said already, I'm also sticking with physical media. My internet isn't the fastest or the most reliable, so every now and then I have issues streaming shows. Besides, I like being able to "own" the show. And I just enjoy popping in a disc whenever I want to watch something.

@prime_pm and dragonrider_cody, not sure why you two are putting up with ads on Hulu Plus. Hulu is obviously fine for non-anime stuff, but if you're watching anime, stick with Crunchyroll or Funimation. I personally would hate having to watch commericals if I already paid for a subscription.

Also, Shirobako is awesome. In fact, I'd love to see an ANNCAST episode just about Shirobako with Justin, Zac, and whoever else that wants to join in.
Via_01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
In Europe, Central America, South America, and much of Asia (I don't know about Australia or any other region I didn't mention), these connections are public. Any service is allowed to use the country's entire network, and they can be shared anywhere. In some countries, the government sets them up, and in some countries, private companies set them up but must allow competing services to use them too. As a result, competition is fierce, and they can get blazing Internet at relatively low prices. By comparison, the United States is behind most of Eastern Europe in Internet speed relative to price.

Hold it. I live in South America, I've gone to many South American countries, and I can assure you that "fierce competition" doesn't equal blazing Internet at low prices. In fact, for some reason it's the opposite: if you want decent internet, then you better be prepared to pay for the biggest pack; otherwise you're going to be calling the company once a month in order to ask why the heck the connection says "connected" but you can't even open Google. And even without the problems, it's still subpar compared to services in the US, at least according to some friends I have up there.

...I don't know about Central America or Asia.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
I'll just shut up about intern level pay and I've just deleted mdo7's private message of his K-Pop related links-galore is too much for me to handle.

Besides, this thread is not the right place to talk about labor condition.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

@prime_pm and dragonrider_cody, not sure why you two are putting up with ads on Hulu Plus. Hulu is obviously fine for non-anime stuff, but if you're watching anime, stick with Crunchyroll or Funimation. I personally would hate having to watch commericals if I already paid for a subscription.

I still don't get why the argument for buying a subscription should always involve "no commercials". I'm not a tv network apologist, but I don't think something like Hulu would exist without them, period. It's next day viewing of tv shows from your region, plus a handful of anime simulcasts as well. I have a Hulu+ account rather than CR, because there's tons of American, non-anime shows I enjoy watching as well. I use it for anime too, and that's where I view Sailor Moon Crystal on. I already have a Netflix account as well, in which you really can't get content UNTIL the show comes out on disc, which is why there is no commercials - the show already ended its tv run. Some anime like from Aniplex and such do show up on Netflix ahead of their disc release, though.

Either way, with CR I can wait a week and I can deal with a couple ads. Heck, I've watched ads with cable tv for over 20 years. The networks need to make money somehow, and so do places like Hulu. Hulu+ is just a cheap cable subscription, which is pretty much how I see it in a sense. It's not a "wait until the entire show has already aired until they get the rights to it" like Netflix.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:12 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
and I've just deleted mdo7's private message of his K-Pop related links-galore is too much for me to handle.

Hey you were the one that brought it up in the 1st place. I just replied to you via PM because I didn't want to detail the topic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
scineram

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Region lock. I'm in Romania. Do the math. And don't diss people who want to watch as it airs. It's insanely fun to discuss the latest episode on forums.

Well, Neighbour, I would also rather torrent things, than support scummy streaming sites with ads and shitty quality.
But even with some region blocks I subscribed to Crunchyroll as I can still watch about a dozen shows a season. And I don't have to deal with shitty browsers (not that I would having uninstalled Flash for good early this year), since the CR app on my TV is super convenient. I think we both should get the same shows. On the other hand fudge Funimation (as far I know).
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What's with the aversion people have to advertisements? I grew up watching the full 8 to 12 minutes of commercials per half hour of television. Watching one to three per half hour online feels a lot less troublesome by comparison.

Ads can ruin a stream if your internet is bad enough. I've had many occasions where I had just managed to get an episode of Hokuto no Ken on Crunchyroll playing fine, only for an add to start up and undo all the buffering that had taken place to allow for a smooth stream. Then, I had to wait for the ad (or 2) to load. Then, I had to wait for the video to load again and watch it pause every three seconds because it couldn't load fast enough in SD to keep up with the playback. Then I would just give up.

My internet isn't that bad nowadays, thankfully, but I still cringe when I see and ad loading.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:44 am Reply with quote
That's why a lot of people will torrent/stream a show that can be seen on Hulu Plus, because many don't like the ads.
nx6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To answer your question, let me ask another question. A broadcast-quality master file (let's say, a 1080p QuickTime ProRes HQ file, which is pretty much the gold standard in video production) for a 24-minute TV episode clocks in at around 39 gigabytes. As it so happens, I am uploading a Blu-ray master around that size to a replication plant as I type this very sentence. I only get 5 megabit upload speeds on my cable modem, so the Aspera file transfer client is estimating it'll take about 22 hours. And that's if nothing gets disconnected or crashes in that time. And if the file comes through and it's got an error, I'd have to start all over again.

What? Shocked Is this "Aspera" seriously what passes as a "professional level" file transfer program? You can do better with a free torrent program. The original file would be broken into the normal pieces, and then each piece would be checksumed for integrity. And with the master now a series of pieces you could resume a broken transfer with little data loss. Add in a final recheck of the completed transfer with, say, a SHA-512 hash of the original file and you'd be mile ahead of what you're having to put up with.

Kadmos1 wrote:
That's why a lot of people will torrent/stream a show that can be seen on Hulu Plus, because many don't like the ads.

That and the anime on Hulu isn't HD, even for paying subscribers (which I am one). Plus, I've watched stuff on steaming before and had service fail out. Once it was my Internet, but more often it's the service. If I download a fansub the file is fully on my computer so I know I'll get to watch the whole thing.

Last edited by nx6 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
Japanese TV stations and affliates do have station-to-station satellite and dark-fiber interlinks which they use to send programs back and forth in addition to physical tape delivery.

Also, some editing studios like Imagica are in the process of building those kinds of private fiber optic links for delivery of final materials to broadcast and licensers instead of tapes.

But it's a very very recent development (1-2 years), and still only a fraction of the anime shows utilize this, since it's still more expensive than bike-binning a tape.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
nx6 wrote:
Quote:
To answer your question, let me ask another question. A broadcast-quality master file (let's say, a 1080p QuickTime ProRes HQ file, which is pretty much the gold standard in video production) for a 24-minute TV episode clocks in at around 39 gigabytes. As it so happens, I am uploading a Blu-ray master around that size to a replication plant as I type this very sentence. I only get 5 megabit upload speeds on my cable modem, so the Aspera file transfer client is estimating it'll take about 22 hours. And that's if nothing gets disconnected or crashes in that time. And if the file comes through and it's got an error, I'd have to start all over again.

What? Shocked Is this "Aspera" seriously what passes as a "professional level" file transfer program? You can do better with a free torrent program. The original file would be broken into the normal pieces, and then each piece would be checksumed for integrity. And with the master now a series of pieces you could resume a broken transfer with little data loss. Add in a final recheck of the completed transfer with, say, a SHA-512 hash of the original file and you'd be mile ahead of what you're having to put up with.

Kadmos1 wrote:

That and the anime on Hulu isn't HD, even for paying subscribers (which I am one). Plus, I've watched stuff on steaming before and had service fail out. Once it was my Internet, but more often it's the service. If I download a fansub the file is fully on my computer so I know I'll get to watch the whole thing.

Aspera is a protocal, not a piece of software (though the company also makes client and server software).
It definitely supports resuming with the appropriate client and server software installed.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
Justin, about resolution, a lot of the assets are done in multiple resolutions then composited together at higher resolution 1080p or more actually. Bleach character line-art cells are 540p but backgrounds are 1080p. However line-art is usually easily scalable with good filtering. Also, it turns out most shows really are higher than most enthusiasts assume. At least by 2009, JC Staff switched to 960p for their TV shows (standardizing on 1600 x 960 for character cells), contrary to popular belief, and most in the last couple years are in 900 - 1080p.

Quote:
assuming there's no separate, improved "home video version" of a show

I've been tracking this for a variety of show in the last few years and I've found there are always changes/updates for normal TV anime on home video. I have not found any non-short shows that use the same broadcast masters.

WRT pirating, this is my opinion: if you torrent something AND you buy merchandise for what you download, you're contributing more to the rights holders than watching ads on legal stream but not buying merchandise. At say 5 cents per ad x 4 ads per ep. x 12 ep = $2.40 per show revenue. Split 50/50, using Funimation's own published figure, that's $1.20 going to Japan. Buying a figure will give back 10x to 30x that amount. Of course there are revenue splits so between rights holders, so it's still good to do both.

So as long as you buy other stuff (figures, artbooks, pillows, manga, VN, games, mousepads, wallets, wallscrolls, ornaments, etc) for that show, I would not feel bad at all about downloading stuff. Heck, I'm a CR subscriber and home video consumer, and I still pirate everything Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6