• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AMG/OMG Help Needed

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I used to have a good link to a site which summarized the Oh! My Goddess manga releases but can no longer find it, and there are some big gaps in my collection of the manga (read all the ones released in the States to date but don't own them all), so I am hoping someone here who's very familiar with the manga can give me a timely answer on this.

The second volume of the second TV series of the anime features two stand-alone stories that I don't remember reading in the manga: one concerning Otaki hooking up with Satoko (the daughter of Nekomi Tech's president) and the other concerning the fledgling exorcist Shiho, who thinks Keiichi is possessed and sparks a bit of jealousy in Belldandy (amongst other problems). Can anyone definitively confirm or deny whether these stories were ever in the manga? If so, in what volume?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Off the top of my head as an OMG fanboy I do not believe they were. Tomorrow since it's my birthday I'm not allowed to do anything and I get waited on. During my time of rest I'll check the manga since I own every volume including the new re-releases for you Key. I'm pretty sure the answer is no though.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:00 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The second volume of the second TV series of the anime features two stand-alone stories that I don't remember reading in the manga: one concerning Otaki hooking up with Satoko (the daughter of Nekomi Tech's president) and the other concerning the fledgling exorcist Shiho, who thinks Keiichi is possessed and sparks a bit of jealousy in Belldandy (amongst other problems). Can anyone definitively confirm or deny whether these stories were ever in the manga? If so, in what volume?

Since I have not read the English edition of Oh! My Goddess, I'm writing about the Afternoon KC edition of Oh! My Goddess.
In Chapter 6 of Vol.1, Ôtaki gets on good terms with Yamano Satoko.
In Chapter 57 of vol.9, Sakakibara Shiho tries to exorcise evil spirits from Morisato Keiichi and Belldandy becomes jealous.
It is possible that the details of an anime episode is different to some extent from the details of a manga chapter on which the anime episode is based, however.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Those are the details I was looking for. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I just realized Volumes 5 and 6 are released... Shocked
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
Released....where....Timbuktu?! I swear I am starting to hate my local Border's and B&N. If it's not Shonen Jump or Shoujo Beat it seems it aint worth getting. Rolling Eyes
Althalus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:52 am Reply with quote
While volume 5 was indeed released in June, volume 6 is still scheduled for Mid-August.

~Althalus
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Those are the details I was looking for. Thanks!

It's my pleasure.
Since my description of Chapter 6 of the Oh! My Goddess manga was short, I'll write some more details of it. (You might have already bought Vol.1 and might have read Chapter 6, though.)
In Chapter 6, having kindly repaired Yamano Satoko's motorbike, Ôtaki gets on good terms with Satoko. Ôtaki visits Satoko at the Yamano family's house and meets her difficult father.
It seems that the scriptwriter adapted Chapter 6 of the manga for the anime episode and added some scenes, including scenes where Aoshima appears.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
Dang, too late to the party, but yeah, those scenes DEFINITELY exist in the manga, altho Otaki's gf is later dropped (or at least not really seen or heard from again). Both characters are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things and are basically there for their story then gone again. Shiho re-appeared BRIEFLY for the Queen Sayoko arc (IIRC) and Satoko popped up from time to time in the early volumes but is basically forgotten later, especially after Chihiro shows up.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Althalus wrote:
While volume 5 was indeed released in June, volume 6 is still scheduled for Mid-August.

~Althalus

Hmm... seems these Wiki-ans aren't citing sources. Tsk Tsk.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:48 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Dang, too late to the party, but yeah, those scenes DEFINITELY exist in the manga, altho Otaki's gf is later dropped (or at least not really seen or heard from again). Both characters are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things and are basically there for their story then gone again. Shiho re-appeared BRIEFLY for the Queen Sayoko arc (IIRC) and Satoko popped up from time to time in the early volumes but is basically forgotten later, especially after Chihiro shows up.

I need to re-read the mang cause I don't remember those scenes. The again with the releases the way they are it's been so long since I first started OMG I'm amazed I remembered the character's names. Time for a manga marathon.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I need to re-read the mang cause I don't remember those scenes. The again with the releases the way they are it's been so long since I first started OMG I'm amazed I remembered the character's names. Time for a manga marathon.

Both are VERY early in the manga. I forget exactly where Shiho comes into play, but Ootaki's "girlfriend" is in the first volume or two. The initial story is early with Belldandy & Keiichi trying to help "hook them up" and then she reappears when Urd brings out the magical game of "Life Sugoroku Special" (or however you spell it). The original story for the girl is that Ootaki wants to impress her, but doesn't know women, he originally plans to wear cosplay to meet her, eventually Bell & K1 dress him up in a suit, he meets the girl and her father who is unimpressed by Ootaki, but then a fire breaks out (on the stove) and Ootaki has an extinguisher in his jacket and puts out the fire and the girl's dad is impressed. After that, she basically just appears for the first few volumes randomly with Ootaki usually when something involving couples is going on and eventually just "fades away".

Shiho is a "one off" character who considers herself an exorcist but doesn't really know anything or have any ability. Unfortunately, she accidentally summons demons or spirits or something so Bell & K1 end up trying to protect her from herself. In the end, Bell gets rid of the spirits and Shiho is convinced of her own greatness and it's all pretty much forgotten as filler...

...until, she reappears (IIRC) in the Queen Sayoko arc behind one of the doors Keiichi goes through while trying find Belldandy who was drugged and abducted. In the manga, Keiichi goes through a door and finds a bunch of UGLY MALE Belldandy "cosplayers" who he flees from, then he opens another door to find Shiho surrounded by spirits who are ordered to get Belldandy (or something like that) while they're chasing Keiichi they run into the "cosplayers" who... "are close enough", and Keiichi loses both sets of pursuers to continue on.

AFAIK, that's the only other appearance of Shiho. There's also the ghost girl that wants to ride a motorcycle who is a one shot. There was the boy in first season who plays with "young Urd". There's Troubador who Urd dated "back in the day". The American racing team (from the Los Angeles Institute of Technology) also shows up to race K1 & Bell. All of whom come into the story and then are never really heard from again.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Both are VERY early in the manga.

That's probably why I don't remember. I think it's been a good year or two since I last read the early volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1