• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release Darker Than Black on Blu-Ray Premium Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
LokiReed wrote:
Hmm, isn't 5000 a lot for a limited release? Just thinking out loud....

The definition of "limited release" is rather vague and so your opinion does carry some weight.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
LokiReed wrote:
Hmm, isn't 5000 a lot for a limited release? Just thinking out loud....

Yeah, that does seem a bit high, especially considering that this is a rerelease, so a lot of folks will have to consider if it is worth owning another set of the same show. 5000 sounds high enough that basically anybody that wants a copy will have little trouble getting one.

Compare that to something like the premium edition for Freezing Vibration that I ordered a little while ago where it is a new release , and it was restricted to only 500 copies. I had almost thought 5000 copies was a typo, but Funi's site does say 5000.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Compare that to something like the premium edition for Freezing Vibration that I ordered a little while ago where it is a new release , and it was restricted to only 500 copies. I had almost thought 5000 copies was a typo, but Funi's site does say 5000.

Where do you find out information about the number of copies of other LEs? I obviously saw the DTB number since it's in the video, but I didn't know it was possible with other releases. I'd love to be able to keep track of that stuff. I like numbers a lot for some reason...
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

Where do you find out information about the number of copies of other LEs? I obviously saw the DTB number since it's in the video, but I didn't know it was possible with other releases. I'd love to be able to keep track of that stuff. I like numbers a lot for some reason...

usually in the news section on their website
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I hate to be "that guy," but it seems it would have made more sense to try and get this show on Toonami, or anywhere on TV where people could find it, years ago; allowing it to build a bigger fanbase and make a release like this seem feasible at first glance. Regardless, cool news for fans.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Darker Than Black is up on TRS site now and is listed at $59.99 due to the Funimation sale and if you have Got Anime discount it drops it to $54. Seems pretty reasonable to me, if I had some pics that showed it wasn't ridiculously over sized I might be inclined to pre-order. Heck, I might pre-order and then cancel if I don't like the looks of it. I guess I'll think about it a few more days.

Yup. Bought.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:46 am Reply with quote
While I can certainly understand folks baulking at a $100 price tag at this point, I think that it's worth pointing out that when the series first came out on DVD, it definitely cost more than that (since it was one of the last series that Funimation released as singles). That's not to say that that makes the price great given what anime typically costs now, but the price of anime has improved considerably over the past several years, and I do think that many folks are a bit too quick to complain about higher prices when they do happen.

In any case, while I'd very much like to pay less than $100 for this (Noir is getting released on Blu-ray for half this price), and a display easel seems more like a nuisance than a bonus, I'm leaping at this, because I very much want to have Darker than Black on Blu-ray. A nice box and art book certainly don't hurt my feelings any, but I'm always excited when a series finally gets a Blu-ray release - especially a series as great as Darker than Black. Even if it's an upscale, simply getting rid of the interlacing makes it worth it for me, since that's such a huge improvement to the video quality - though IIRC, Bones was typically doing shows in 540p in the time frame that Darker than Black came out, so while it may not be even 720p, I expect that it'll easily be an improvement over 480i in more than just a lack of interlacing.

While I would hope that most Funimation releases stay at lower prices than this, I'd very much like to see more of their older titles released on Blu-ray, and it's exciting to see it happen for Darker than Black. I eagerly await the day that DVDs and their interlacing and horribly-low resolutions are a thing of the past.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:18 am Reply with quote
I agree with the others that this (must be displayed ) style release is holding me from buying it.
At this point my collection is 12' long 8' tall
with absolutely nothing artistically displayed.
I will buy if and when the blu-ray LE or blu-ray standard Edition comes out.
Hope its soon, because i don't want to have to open my new DVD release ...but i am dying to watch this show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4