• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 10,000 Fans Pick What Sports Anime Influenced Them the Most

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Araki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
Kuroko's Basketball over Slam Dunk? What is this world coming to...

Ask about Kuroko in 20 years and let's see how many people remember it..

Really doubt it's gonna remain an all-time classic like Slam Dunk is. I mean, that's a given.
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
out of all sports anime I watched I would prefer Major, but I'm not sure if it left any influence on me. sports anime are full of nonsense after all. Laughing
albanian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Tensai GinAce wrote:
I'm just bummed that Cross Game didn't make the list, that one is still my favorite.

This.

And while I wasn't expecting to see Princess Nine or Taisho Yakyu Musume on the list, I did think One Outs might have figured somewhere. Memories are short, are they not?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
So many yaoi fangirls Smile

Don't forget there are some fan guys as well Wink

Big Windup would be my vote as I started watching baseball because of it - baseball isn't popular here in the UK and is very hard to watch, even on channels like ESPN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Outta curiosity, is Crunchyroll going to stream season 3 of Kuroko's Basketball? I loved the first 2 seasons and am hoping to see the 3rd legally.

Personally, the spirit of KuroBas influenced me more than a true desire to play the sport; committing to hard work, overcoming but still acknowledging setbacks, and striving for a goal at one's own pace.

If I had to pick a sports anime whose sport I've actually undertaken, it'd have to be Free!, because swimming has never been my strong suit and watching Rei work hard from the ground up was pretty inspiring for me.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Why is Touch not higher? That is what got me into watching Sports anime in the first place.

Cross game is a close second along with Major.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that Eyeshield is just outside the Top 10, since they don't know football.

Then again, basketball is on the top of both; yet Japan isn't known for basketball neither. (And it's not like they have a basketball March Madness as they do in baseball.)

Or maybe it's because they don't experience those sports that the drama is fresh to them?
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
Tensai GinAce wrote:
I'm just bummed that Cross Game didn't make the list, that one is still my favorite.

This.

And while I wasn't expecting to see Princess Nine or Taisho Yakyu Musume on the list, I did think One Outs might have figured somewhere. Memories are short, are they not?

Cross Game was awesome but Touch takes the crown as the best Adachi-sensei´work. This is a SUPER CLASSIC for all of Japan.

Araki wrote:
Ulinox wrote:
Kuroko's Basketball over Slam Dunk? What is this world coming to...

Ask about Kuroko in 20 years and let's see how many people remember it..

Really doubt it's gonna remain an all-time classic like Slam Dunk is. I mean, that's a given.

Of course, todays otaku are blinded by the hype of the moment, most of those series that break sales record/super popular/etc today wont pass the test of time, we all know this.

Jex2193 wrote:
Why is Touch not higher? That is what got me into watching Sports anime in the first place.

Errrr... you just need to see and guess who are the voters, of course Touch and Ace wo nerae are not higher, still there, so its good.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
albanian wrote:
Tensai GinAce wrote:

This.

Cross Game was awesome but Touch takes the crown as the best Adachi-sensei´work. This is a SUPER CLASSIC for all of Japan.

Except that H2 beat out Touch as highest ranking Adachi work in the poll. Smile (Newer than Touch, older than Cross Game.)
OtakunX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
While I wont say Koroko's Basketball deserves a number one spot of all time in sports anime I do think that some people would under appreciate what the series does offer. While some would just believe it is a pretty boy sports anime with super powers, i believe it has a lot of subtle and not so subtle character depth that makes it a good show without having to over exaggerate the characters to make them so (exaggerate meaning the personality, not the obvious exaggerated abilities =P. Now, of course, this could just be me over analyzing sweaty young men running around with a ball but I still get moved by these subtle moments.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Slam Dunk - Tries to portray basketball as close to reality as possible, and succeeded. I enjoyed the art style and BGM. I hope someone will animate the rest of the story.

Kuroko no Basket - Tries to portray ESPers playing basketball, and definitely succeeded Laughing nice BGM, high quality animation.

Rō-Kyū-Bu! - Really? Really?? Mediocre at best in animation, BGM, and characters. The Power of the Lolis must've caused a lot of people to vote for this one, because it definitely wasn't for the basketball.

Hajime no Ippo - Good BGM (especially the action pieces of the music), smooth animation, faithful art style (big plus to the manga followers) and interesting story. After all that, why is it it got only that much votes?

Baby Steps - There's that character type of those succeed in anything they do without putting much effort. Well, what if that easy-achiever found something that is difficult for him to do? The series builds quite well on that premise, and I enjoyed it greatly (the series will return in April). If it wasn't some of the other shows, it could've been placed higher (Rō-Kyū-Bu overtook it, arggh).

Haikyū!! - The tale of enemies-turned-friends is quite common in shōnen serialisations, and as such is quite clichéd in and by itself. However, what if the story starts with that situation? This show caused me to laugh quite a lot due to the 2 MCs' way of handling situations. A complete opposite of the show it "battled" in the Spring 2014 season (Baby Steps).

Daiya no Ace - A joint Production I.G.-MADHOUSE show, slick animations during the important bits, thrilling BGM (I nearly forgot to breathe during some segments of episodes 60 & 61), and compelling story.

Ōkiku Furikabutte (Big Windup) - Almost the complete opposite of the above show, a team made entirely of freshmen, and their steady climb (of course with some bumps along the way) to the Nationals. I would be very happy if a third season was to be greenlit.

Yowamushi Pedal - This show's art style is quite unique, regarding the characters' outlines and designs (that can be attributed to the manga's art style). This show manages to keep the interest levels high from episode to episode, and the BGM certainly helps a lot with that.

That's it regarding my personal impressions and thoughts of any of the anime I've seen from those mentioned in the list.

With all the various sporting activities it shows, I'm surprised Death Parade isn't in the list. Sports Anime of the 2015 Winter season? Laughing
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
The sports anime that moved me the most was Free!, but the one that made me freakin' scream at my screen for them to win was Kuroko lol. I've never screamed so much with an anime like I was watching a real game. Now I know what the real sports fans feel like when they watch sports Anime hyper
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
albanian wrote:
Tensai GinAce wrote:

This.

Except that H2 beat out Touch as highest ranking Adachi work in the poll. Smile (Newer than Touch, older than Cross Game.)

I know, watched and loved H2 as well, but what, you cannot take seriously this poll and take is a popularity fact, merely a small representation, H2 never reached Touch levels.

When you take an approach to a bigger more even portion of the fandom it will serve as a better basis, you will see that not for nothing Minami Asakura ranked as the most popular heroine in history, Tacchan ranked high in the most beloved heroes as well, and well, Touch´s magnitude is there for all to see if they care too look.

While I love all Adachi-sensei works, Touch remains his best to this day. Does not mean H2, Cross game, Miyuki are not awesome, they are, cross game is another masterpiece from Adachi I loved so much.

OtakunX wrote:
While I wont say Koroko's Basketball deserves a number one spot of all time in sports anime I do think that some people would under appreciate what the series does offer.

I am familiar with most if not all the series here.

Kuroko is quite good, this is undeniable, its very good it ends there, but of course it ranks higher as most voters know not many other sport anime but contemporary more or less recent ones (kuro being "hot" now, of course it ranks high/at the top, BLIND hype from the moment it is, which does not mean Kuroko is not good and not "moving".

You just need to see in this very forum how some merely speak from the hype of the moment about Haikyuu and Kuroko (I enjoyed both, I watched Hailyuu as well) just a few talk as far back as Hajime no Ippo (well we had a recent season thou) or 90s Slam Dunk, and just a few of us know and speak baout Touch Captain Tsubasa or Ace wo nerae.

I find unbelievable that a MONSTER like ASHITA NO JOE is not ranked!! One of the most passionate moving sports anime of all time.

I want to see one soul not in tears after Joe Yabuki´s final fight! You would need to be a monster not to be moved to tears with that! The influence of Ashita no joe was astronomical for everyone, from fans to now well established people in the industry, with countless anime paying tribute to it. I want to see a monster not moved by Rikishi passion to fight Joe! And joe final fight!

Its just SHAMEFUL to have something like free and ro kyu rank, seriously, therese two dont fit here, I would not even call them sports anime, one merely fujoshi bait, love by..many men it seems too, and ro-kyu-nu a loli-fan magnet, those are the primary intentions in those, shameful to rank with other true sports anime.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
^

Yes, Touch is the most popular of Adachi's work, but I personally prefer H2. Cross Game is also great, and I knew someone would bring up its absence from the list, since it is one of the few sports anime to be truly successful here in the US.

However, of all of his works, Touch is certainly the one with the largest cultural impact. Shortly after reading the manga, I was reading a yuri one-shot manga about a girl who was having trouble getting the basketball team's star player to accept her as the manager of the team and her friend, who was managing with her, comforted her by telling her she was totally like Minami! That was one that was written in 2014! To this day, the image that comes to mind when Japanese anime and manga fans think of a "sports manager" character is Minami Asakura, as well it should be! (Though Haruka from H2 is pretty darn good as well.)

[Edit: removed unecessary quoting. This is your first strike. You have been added to the Wall of Shame. Madoka...AYUKAWA! beware! errinundra.]
leongsh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
I follow and watch a lot of sports manga and sports anime and find this poll of interest. Looking at the list, those polled are definitely made up of the younger generation.

Not surprising to find Kuroko no Basuke being at the top since it is the most current and there is adequate interest from the men and overwhelming interest from the ladies. Good production and entertaining. Good adaptation of the manga as well.

What is surprising is that Slam Dunk is No. 2. It is more than 20 years and still acknowledged. I expected the men to strongly vote for that as it is the one sports manga/anime that got the Japanese youth truly interested in basketball. I enjoyed it a lot. When it was first released on DVD in Japan, I bought the limited edition DVD boxset - that's the extent of my love for it. Out of all the anime listed in the Top 20, Slam Dunk would have gotten my vote except that the anime that would have gotten my vote is not in that list. More on that anime later.

Haikyu!! at No. 3 could only be there due to the ladies and the voting analysis shows it. That said, the anime is an exceptional production and adaption of the manga. Highly entertaining but it would not qualify as one that influenced me.

Prince of Tennis at No. 4. *facepalm* I don't recall any tennis played because whatever racquet game they were playing in the anime sure as hell isn't tennis. Watched enough to dislike it a lot. Yes, a bug chunk of it was hate watching until I couldn't stomach anymore.

Major at No. 5. This I can understand because it is really a bildungsroman tale where we follow Goro as he grows. Trivia: spoiler[He never wins any championship throughout the series, i.e. little league, high school (not even reaching Koushien inter-high), World Baseball Classic except at the very end, when he does get to win the World Series, manga-equivalent, of course.]

Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club is definitely due to the ladies that it is placed as high up as No. 6. No disrespect to the guys who voted for this but the voting mix leans heavily to the ladies. Giving credit where it is due, Kyoto Animation did fantastic animation of the swimming.

Captain Tsubasa at No. 7. Another nice surprise that it is still acknowledged. Basketball has Slam Dunk that inspired more Japanese to play basketball. Football in Japan has Captain Tsubasa to thank. That said, Slam Dunk is significantly more realistic in its sports portrayal compared to Captain Tsubasa.

Yowamushi Pedal at No. 8. I attribute this mainly to the ladies but I see there is a decent amount of support from the guys. Fair enough, as I follow the manga and happy with the anime adaptation. It's tempting me to buy a new replacement bike to go riding again. Rare for a sports anime to restoke my interest in participating.

Ace of Diamond at No. 9. Another bildungsroman tale. This time, a more detailed look at the lead character, Sawamura Eijun, through his high school years. Recently announced that Part 1 of the manga has ended. The anime at Episode 65 has just about reached the mid-point of Part 1. The manga is a good read and the anime is a good adaptation of it.

At 10 is Inazuma Eleven. It can be considered the younger generation's Captain Tsubasa. Popular anime that just goes on and on. Not following it currently but watched enough to have a considered opinion.

Eyeshield 21 at No. 11 was so-so standard over-the-top shounen sports anime. I can see its appeal but didn't appeal much to me. Did complete watching the anime adaptation.

Big Windup! (Ookiku Furikabutte) at No. 12. This can only be mainly down to the ladies. That said, I like the manga and the anime. Following the manga was on the backburner due in part to the monthly serialisation and in part to the art. Then the anime adaptation made me catch up. The anime is a very good adaptation of the manga. The one defining thing about this is that there are no overpowered characters involved, not even the lead character. If anything, the lead character is a wimp with extreme low self-confidence. The rest are just students who enjoy baseball and want to make something out of it.

Ro-Kyu-Bu! at No. 13. This is definitely due to the guys who love loli-con characters. Did not expect much from it. It's sole purpose is to sell loli-con characters with a barebones story. Did not complete watching as I dropped it with extreme prejudice.

H2 at No. 14. Surprising as it barely got to 1/5 of the manga and the anime was left hanging at the end. As a sports anime and an Adachi fan, I picked up the limited edition of the DVD boxset when it was first released in Japan. Comes with a stainless steel mug.

Touch at No. 15. I find it hard to accept that it is so low down the list Anime cry I know it is mainly due to those polled being of a younger generation. This is a classic. Purchased the limited edition R2J DVD boxset when it was first released. I consider it one of the treasures of my collection.

Hajime no Ippo at No. 16. Another bildungsroman tale. The first season, comprising 76 episodes, is the best of the bunch. It went downhill thereafter. Same with the manga. There are some bright spots in the later part of the manga, e.g. Volg Zangief's title fight.

Baby Steps at No. 17. At long last, a modern sports anime that shows tennis in the correct light. And it's proper realistic tennis too. Strong development of characters as well. It's another bildungsroman tale too.

At No. 18, Kenkou Zenrakei Suieibu Umishou. I did not complete watching this. Dropped it early as it did not interest me enough.

Giant Killing at No. 19. Enjoyed watching it as it presents a more grown-up look at professional football. Wish this got another season.

Squeaking in to No. 20 is Ace o Nerae!. Another classic. Happy to see this on the list and that it is not forgotten.

My one true sadness is that I did not see the sports anime that influenced me the most in the list. Yes, that sports anime is old. So, did not expect it to be on the list but it is one of the most influential anime, not just sports anime. The first season is from 1970 with a second season only in 1980. It's none other than Ashita no Joe. Again a bildungsroman tale, but this is the one taken all the way to the end. Characters in sports anime often talk about giving their all. None has come close to what Joe Yabuki did by well and truly giving it all. That last fight with Jose Mendoza was truly epic.

Bought the complete R2J DVD boxsets of both season 1 (which comes in a box shaped like the bridge post) and season 2. This is the sports anime that started me on the path of watching sports anime. This way way back in the 80s. I still love it immensely to-date. It can't get any more influential than that to me.

EDIT: Missed out Big Windup! and now added above.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2