• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2007

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:55 am Reply with quote
Since this whole first page goes back to mid march any other threads would be too old so I'll just simply make this shiny new thread. Isn't it shiny??? So who here even knows about Otakon? For those that do how many people here are going? I'm hoping this year runs much smoother then last year because as far as I'm concerned last year the place was a mess. Never a staffer around when ya needed one. I am looking forward to the panels and in particular the Guests Uncut panel on Saturday night, assuming they do it again. Last year's was hilarious, poor poor Yuri Lowenthal.
Seaofclouds21

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote
I'm going!! I'm also going to be gophering this year. I didn't have any problems last year so I can't really complain about anything. Though I would suggest if anyone is planning to go to a popular panel (like Kingdom Hearts if they have one this year) you get there very early due to limit spacing in the panel rooms. I missed the panel last year because there was already a really long line by the time I got there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:23 am Reply with quote
Wow.....one other person. Ya know, with a con the size of Otakon and the amount of people signed up here I at least expected 5 people to say they're going. Man, lot of love for Maryland heh. Guess we just suck compared to Cali and AX. Then again, if I could move out of this cesspool state I would too.... Rolling Eyes
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Add six more heads going to otakon including myself.

last year was my first. i enjoyed it a lot. the masquerade wasn't as good at katsucons in 06 though. The size...huge. the fun..more of it. this is the con not to miss for me.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote
Alright we got 3 people so far, including myself. Are there actually more then just us 3 Marylanders on ANN that post at all? Somehow I think our state makes a meager showing here in terms of posters heh.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
Alright we got 3 people so far, including myself. Are there actually more then just us 3 Marylanders on ANN that post at all? Somehow I think our state makes a meager showing here in terms of posters heh.

-Starlight anime society of PG comm. coll.
-More friends of Viga
-....does a pregnant otaku count as 2? haha.

but since otakon is in MD a lot of congoers from our state should be there. I'd be weird if they didn't. Its OUR backyard. OUR answer to anime expo.

Im just so hyped up psycho! Oh yeah...for those going please look up the art of VIga D son in the art show. I'd appreciate some feedback or a bid or two. thank you.

countdown 17 days....
Falcon5768

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
not going this year.

We where all talking about how we are going to miss it, but with all of us getting married (our friends in Sept, and me and my fiance next March) we just couldnt swing the days or the money to do it

We'll be back for 08 though. Hopefully Ill be finished with my planned diorama of a UC Gundam space fleet battle that I started for 06 but didn't get finished in time.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Falcon5768 wrote:
not going this year.

We where all talking about how we are going to miss it, but with all of us getting married (our friends in Sept, and me and my fiance next March) we just couldnt swing the days or the money to do it

We'll be back for 08 though. Hopefully Ill be finished with my planned diorama of a UC Gundam space fleet battle that I started for 06 but didn't get finished in time.

You could all pull a Dejesus and marry at a con! (just kidding)

Congrats falcon! I wish you and your wife the best!
sir-talen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:00 pm Reply with quote
*Waves* I live in Columbia, MD and I'll be going again this year, though it feels wierd when I do. I'm 38, which puts me about twenty years too old for the con's average member age. Confused Look for the guy in the "Terinu" t-shirt, appearing bemused.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I'll be one of the like 5 people in a Hawaiian shirt. If it's a big oafy scruffy looking blond with a ponytail, it's probably me lol.
Phantom14

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
I saw a nes post from a certian web site that 5 members of a certian fan subing group have been arrested for copywrite issues.
News post: note *esits are only for not posting fan sub group name*

Baltimore, MD USA
Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:10PM EDT

Today at 5:57 five members of the *FANSUB GROUP* staff were arrested at the Baltimore Convention Center as they prepared for their panel as part of the Otakon Convention. Four uniformed police officers, along with legal counsel of a complaintent company, approached the stage shortly before the presentation was to begin. Witnesses said that along with the arrest, the officers seized the laptop of one of the group members, which was intended to be used for presentation purposes.

The officers, as well as the lawyers, would not respond to media inquires regarding the reason for these arrests beyond stating that they stemmed from the illegal reproduction of copyrighted works.

The panel, which was originally called "Fansubbing/Manga Scanlation" was recently renamed to "*GROUP NAME* Fansubbing". Experts speculate that this may have alerted authorities to the location of the group members and left an opportunity for this course of action.

Witness reactions varied including one Richard Sequoa who said, "I just can't believe something like this could happen at our convention." Another witness, a Judy Hibertson, said, "I'm glad. This is what they get for their constant trolling. It's just not funny!"

When asked to comment, group member Interacti said, "I've been told by my lawyer not to say anything because of the sensitive nature of legal matters however this has been a trying experience and I'm glad my new cell-mate "Spikes" has been there to comfort me."
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
Given that that "certain website" is probably the same website as that fansubbing group, I somehow doubt this news story's veracity. Not to mention the use of non-existent words like "complaintent." (Not to mention that interactii is spelled with two I's.)

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:33 am Reply with quote
Phantom14 wrote:
The panel, which was originally called "Fansubbing/Manga Scanlation" was recently renamed to "*GROUP NAME* Fansubbing".

At first I thought it was a hoax, but after checking Otakon's official panels page I was quite surprised to see such a panel really existed (whether the arrest took place or not was not my concern).

Broadcasting fansubs publicly, lest having a panel about them, in a commercial convention is an ABSOLUTELY NO-NO in Taiwan. And even after all those years there are still quite a few Western anime fans think "anime DVD made in Taiwan" = "bootleg." How ironic. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Well Otakon has come and gone. Over all it was a good time. I think the convention staff were a bit more organized this year which was good. The IDEA of giving out tickets to limit the amount of people for signings is a good idea. The IMPLEMENTATION was just awful. The best way to get a ticket for a signing is to go to the panel for the guest......ok....so whose bright idea was it to have the signings at the SAME time as the panels? Brilliant. Other wise the Con staff was more organized this year which was a good thing. Putting the DR in the old AA room and opening it up more was a very smart idea. The panels were entertaining, funny, and informative. Speaking of panels.......I noticed how when Zac, Tempest, and Sakechan found out who I was they went straight to questions lol. They were asking people if they knew about the site, used it, etc. Then they asked who uses the forums and asked what people's names were. After 2 people they got to me. I wasn't even going to raise my hand but my friends and gf with me said do it do it. As soon as they asked me and I said Psycho they almost all at the same time went; "101 !!!!!" Tempest then without missing a beat said "Time for questions." Laughing I feel so loved hehe. Their panel was informative and they did a great job. It was very informative and they brought free gifts to give away to people who asked intelligent questions of them which was very nice of them. So thanks ANN staff (including Justin who answered my gf's question) for the panel. Artist Alley had several good artists in there this year. I saw a lot of stuff done with new digital techniques. I must say the Freedom booth/preview down in the Dealer's Room was awesome though. It looked so gorgeous. Over all a very nice time, an improvement over last year.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear that it went well. It's nice to know that we're recognized and not forgotten by the staff when we take the time to go to the ANN panel to meet the very people who keep this site running. Maybe in the next couple of years I should make my vacation for Otakon. But that's another story to be told. Aside from that, a lot of licenses that I was eager to hear about actually happened, so that in a sense to me is great. I hope all other Otakon attendees enjoyed it as well Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3