• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Service, Merchandise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Touma wrote:
Doesn't anybody license anime for streaming in Europe?

Crunchy's titles usually are available at least in this part of Europe, but Funi's obviously aren't. Unless both services stream the same titles. But then Funi might not be happy, as stated in the article...

If Funimation does not have the license for streaming in Europe then what difference does it make if they are happy or not?
That is the part that I do not understand.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
UtenaNicoletta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
You've heard of Hanada Shounen Shi! That makes me happy.

I can also think of a few instances of English-speaking artists making stuff specifically for anime: Steve Conte's contributions to the Wolf's Rain and Cowboy Bebop soundtracks, as well as Mai Yamane's english-language songs in the latter, David Sylvian's "For the Love of Life" from Monster (almost sure that was recorded specifically for the show), and Priscilla Ahn submitting her song "Fine on the Outside" to Studio Ghibli as a possible song to use in When Marnie Was There, which actually ended up happening.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I did not know Great Eastern actually manufactured the merchandise themselves. Cool!

About Tripp's question:
Quote:
Why place in Jojo's time slot, knowing that the audience might be younger?

TerraFormars airs between midnight and 4am: http://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/3530/time

Quote:
There are simply things -- gore, nudity -- you just cannot show

I don't think there are any particularly strict rules for the late night broadcast time slots. The intent of the censoring seems more or less what you mentioned: selling the videos. I have seen some pretty bloody violence, like Claymore for instance, and there have been "nip slips" (like in Garo currently; Space Dandy's booby monster girl was also uncensored) as well as select episodes of nudity like Sekirei (some episodes were censored but they allowed some whole episodes uncensored on Tokyo MX if recall) and whole shows broadcast OTA uncensored like Lupin The Third Fujiko Mine, which as you know has Fujiko running around completely naked. Even the promotional posters publicly displayed materials shows her topless.
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Um, I'm going to suggest that the questions be put in a different font for the column. The font is very harsh and uninviting to me, especially with the formatting if you view the site on a cell phone.

That aside...

I have some Great Eastern stuff and I'm glad they're around. Bootlegs are so annoying if you care to pay attention. I was just shopping for something last week and there was nothing but bootleg after bootleg available. What weren't obvious bootlegs were suspicious enough I didn't want to make a purchase. Currently I'm waiting to see if a local shop can get me a piece of licensed merchandise instead.

Hot Topic is nice if you have one near you. I was on a trip last month and had time to pop in one where they had some cute My Neighbor Totoro shirts among other Anime things.
GVman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
If it is a show Funi show it's pretty much restricted to USA & Canada only, so if Funi's happy here, we(Europeans et all) won't be.

Doesn't anybody license anime for streaming in Europe?

Aren't y'all getting legal streams of G-Reco? It's only in SD, sure, but at least y'all're getting it.
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Good changes at ANN. I always wondered why the bold font was used and never understood why there wasn't a better question/answer format.

If I may make a suggestion: Please use a different font for questions. Is that courier? C'mon now.

I appreciate the comments and information from Great Eastern. I don't buy much anime merchandise, but it is good to know that I can look for a certain company I want something legitimate.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Agree about the "censoring" being a gimmick to sell stuff. Even on broadcast TV in Japan, R-rated live action movies such as "The Terminator" often have nothing cut in the way of gore or nudity (if shown after midnight). So in the case of these anime, it's not that they can't; it's that they won't.

As for music, I remember reading somewhere that "Roundabout" was a song Hirohiko Araki listened to constantly while drawing Jojo in the 80's, so it's pretty neat that they used it (in addition to it being an awesome song). And "Walk Like an Egyptian" works really well, too. It's not just the lyrics, either; it has a fun beat that works really well with the globetrotting nature of the show. The way it trails off at the end works really well for the bit where you think you see everybody walking off into the sunset, spoiler[BUT IT'S REALLY ME, DIO!!]

Interesting about the song from Marnie being submitted by the singer. I had noticed that the lyrics seemed better-connected to the film's content than one might usually expect in these cases.

Another great English OP is "Duvet" from serial experiments lain. Thanks to that I picked up the British band Boa's album in a Tower Records back in the 90's, and still have it.

Last edited by vanfanel on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:59 pm; edited 4 times in total
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I think I wouldn't like Terraformars, even uncensored.

So I just watched Parasyte (superior to Terraformars, BTW) and that is a horror show with gore. Why is it that Terraformars, Tokyo Ghoul, etc, are censored, while this is not? Can't Crunchyroll or other distributors request that they get the uncensored cut?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I really doubt that licensors would be interested in that. Though Crunchyroll's Rail Wars stream was less censored than the TV broadcast, which was probably a mix-up on someone's part.
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Quite possibly, my favorite OP of all time is an English song: The Light Before We Land by The Delgados.

I think it's still the song I listen to the most, but it did get me to listen to The Delgados as a band. Lain's OP "Duvet" did the same thing for me with Bôa.
one.night.bkk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Lest we forget the forgotten classics of English songs from anime (even if they aren't by notable artists- one ending each from Gundam 0083 and Gundam X, the (awesome only to me apparently) opening and ending for The Enemy's the Pirates, and the opening from the 80s OVA of Area 88.

...and yes, I'm well aware my tastes may be somewhat... Questionable by current standards.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
There's so much gray-market or bootleg stuff in the dealer's room at cons, I've actually found that the easiest way to tell that it's licensed merchandise is to look for the Great Eastern name and info on the back. Laughing

That is a good idea, and one that I use on a consistent basis, as well. It's no coincidence that all of my wall scrolls come from that company since I know it is trustworthy.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know about Great Eastern, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for their name on things in the future. I've really cut down on my exhibit hall buying lately because I don't want to be giving money to bootleg merchandise.

(Semi related story: At this year's Anime Expo I found one booth with a giant collection of bootleg decals, and several of them were from the webcomic Homestuck. However this year Homestuck's official merchandising team, What Pumpkin, was there with their own booth. So I went and told them about it, and they made the guy take down the bootleg decals. I felt so happy and vindicated afterwards, take that bootleggers!)
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Well this week Answerman was very interesting to read. Thanks for the info on Great Eastern Entertainment, that's very informative.

Regarding Paul's question on shows streaming on multiple legal streaming sites: It's very interesting and I now have more insight on this. But I was surprised to read that Funimation was not happy with to share streaming license with CR. Shocked

About Tripp's question on anime censorship on TV in Japan and how it play into DVDs/Blu-rays sales: You know what, I started to notice this a few years ago when I watched fansub anime online when I saw scene of nudity and sometime excessive violence get heavily censored on the fansubs which was carried over from the TV broadcast version. To be honest, that was the reason why I stopped watching fansubs anime, too much censorship carried over from the TV version (another reason was unprofessional translation errors). Also I think everybody remembered what the director of Gundam SEED said about there's too many regulation.

Jake's question and answer: Yeah I always wondered why Japanese anime production sometime choose English songs, but now after reading this, very informative. Also:

Quote:
But unless the band itself is super restrictive with the use of their music, getting the rights usually isn't very hard.

That is the major issue when it comes to licensing anime, keeping all the music intact because the artists (I know quite a few in Japan that are super restrictive like any boy group from Johnny & associates hence why Tokio's music on some anime shows has never been heard on anime outside of Japan).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Walking around the dealers' room at AWA definitely helps it sink in that Great Eastern doesn't need its own booth; Anyone selling wallscrolls (i.e. almost half of the non-industry booths) is peddling their merch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6