• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hi Score Girl Manga Recalled After SNK's Copyright Charges

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
They even showed Mortal Kombat in the manga, which I wonder whether or not they got permission to do that as well.

DEAR GOD, I'VE GOT TO SEE THAT. Didn't know MK was all that big in Japan back then.

Anyway, this whole development is a trainwreck indeed; I had never even heard of this manga until today, it sounds great...and now it's been ruined. Thanks, all dumbasses involved, including any who may be responsible for an "oversight". SNK can go to Hell too for that matter, not particularly sympathetic to them either; don't care about any evil gangster thug manga-publishing pirates who didn't get permission or whatever.

I still love SamuSupi; I want to get my hands on the actual manga for that as well (Yasuhiro Nightow, anyone?). Ninja Masters was cool too, but that was mid-90s, which I guess this manga hasn't covered.

I suppose the fact that serialization will continue and the anime is not killed (for now) is somewhat good news.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:

DEAR GOD, I'VE GOT TO SEE THAT. Didn't know MK was all that big in Japan back then.

Nope, MK is considered a joke of a game in Japan. Maybe the author included it just because the characters play any kind of game, even crappy Western games like Mortal Kombat.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
doomydoomdoom wrote:

Nope, MK is considered a joke of a game in Japan. Maybe the author included it just because the characters play any kind of game, even crappy Western games like Mortal Kombat.

Just like the Xbox 360....if I'm not mistaken, Japan isn't fond of it.

So in the manga, are the characters limited to cameo roles only?

Sounds to me like someone at SNK said yes, but nothing was really finalized, so they went in anyway and put the characters in.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

Hmm, I thought that was too good to be true...

I guess I can sort of see why they would think that when compared with their own fighting games. I love Mortal Kombat (eh the first couple mostly), even though many put it down for emphasizing visual flair over strategy and skill like Capcom fighters. I guess that's why I always preferred MK, it's pretty easy. Those and Namco fighters.

About Xbox: I don't fault them at all for being chilly towards it. *Sony freak over here* Seems that the Japanese don't like non-Japanese/Asian tech and entertainment, WHO WOULDA THUNK IT?!
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:

So in the manga, are the characters limited to cameo roles only?

Sounds to me like someone at SNK said yes, but nothing was really finalized, so they went in anyway and put the characters in.

The manga is about people playing (now retro) games, so the games are talked about and a bit of history given, plus some frames of the games being played.

Such a shame as this will definitely kill this manga. I hope it doesn't impact on the mangaka's other serializations.
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
This makes me sad, only because I was really looking forward to the anime adaption. Series sounds cute, and I love video games. Laughing

Will be interesting to see if this is oversight or the theory being thrown around on this thread come to pass. Would be a big oversight to have, especially since they (apparently) got the okay from various companies in the lead up to the manga seeing the light of day.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I just wonder how much has this manga sold, anything over 5 million units means it has sold more than what snk is worth now.
Banjo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
I hate SNK Twisted Evil
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
ah, now I understand why yesterday the manga volumes of the series were literally invading the best-seller top 100 chart in Amazon Japan (I guess people buy it before they take away every book)

the boost is going to be better than if there was an anime lol
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
Heh? And I was planning to read Hi Score Girl as soon as it finished. Because I wrote a story with electronic games and that is also set in the 90s. When I found about this manga, I was o.O

Tough luck, as I don't like to read incomplete things...

True, I also thought that this infringement would serve as advertising for SNK. But this is why I never use copyrighted stuff unless it's a parody. For example, I used Gunpan instead of G*ndam Very Happy
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:00 pm Reply with quote
This is the second time this year a manga was been recalled.
The first one was this.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-16/kadokawa-recalls-manga-that-tokyo-designated-as-unhealthy
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
I guess I can sort of see why they would think that when compared with their own fighting games. I love Mortal Kombat (eh the first couple mostly), even though many put it down for emphasizing visual flair over strategy and skill like Capcom fighters. I guess that's why I always preferred MK, it's pretty easy. Those and Namco fighters.

I believe a lot of the reason people remember/liked MK was because of the violence and blood, which was a novelty back in the SNES/Genesis days in America where there was a lot of gaming censorship going on. Nowadays, with all the bloody, violent shooters and other games MK's selling point seems pretty outdated and selling your franchise on the fact it has blood and killing people is pointless when that's the standard these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2