• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Higurashi (When They Cry) Artbox

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bubblegum19e

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Higurashi (When They Cry) Artbox + DVD 1

I'm not sure if this is the final cover to the limited edition artbox of Higurashi, but I was expecting something a little darker. Two pre-teen girls holding each other with a pink background doesn't seem to fit in with Higurashi's dark plot. I keep wanting to buy it, but the cover is horrendous. Usually you get a 3-D view of the item, so you can actually see what the physical nature of the artbox/CD/DVD or whatever it is that your buying. Now, I understand its pre-order and not yet on sale, but is the artwork still subject to change, even though the release is two days away? Is this the final cover for the artbox?
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
that's the art box? you've gotta be kidding me. it's like some lame fan drawing.
LightYagami

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:38 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
that's the art box? you've gotta be kidding me. it's like some lame fan drawing.

Well you have to admit that if any one who buys it thinks its about just cat girls crying they are in for a royal surprise.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
I guess this artbox will teach some people who buy blindly to know at least a little bit about a title before purchasing it...
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
I really hope it's an intentional joke. I can imagine the graphic designer gleefully covering their mouth and going "Hee hee!" the whole time they were designing the box, imagining all the horrified expressions of people who just wanted to buy a show about cute cat and puppy girls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:55 am Reply with quote
I hate that artbox, knowing what the series is really about. So, I didn't buy it. Funny thing is, there was an insert of the art on the artbox inside the DVD case. Rolling Eyes

Hopefully there's something on the artbox (I haven't seen it personally) that says "Suggested 16 Up - Extreme Violence & Strong Language" like on the DVD case. That might give people who haven't seen this series (and done their research) some sort of clue as to what to expect. Otherwise they're in for quite a surprise.

At least the DVD case itself isn't misleading. Its (reversible) cover is ominously colored on the front of the original side with some "blood splatters" on it. On the back (of the original side) there's some freaky screenshots and a good little synopsis of the both the series and the episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that is the artbox, it's sitting on the shelf behind me, and yeah it's horribly misleading. Except for it being pink I don't have anything against the box personally. It didn't fool me as I've seen Higurashi already..

Last edited by Kruszer on Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:00 am Reply with quote
I really like the box, and I think it actually works really well the same way the show does. Really cute girls on the surface but what's inside is what's downright scary.

And at least this series got an artbox, I have 5 volumes of Shana with the 6th one on the way next month and no pretty artbox to put them in. Crying or Very sad It's like a little girl getting a new Barbie collection and no dream house.
Astraea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:42 am Reply with quote
That is actually quite funny. The thing about Higurashi is that the look of the characters is such a contrast to what they're really like. No black/white design niceties here....though one could argue the difference is a bit too blatant. There's nothing in that picture to convey the real horror of the series, and I like that approach. I just hope it was an intentional joke instead of the artist not paying much attention to the show's content. Going by the box, synopsis and rating, I can imagine someone picking it up thinking it would be a bit of a fun mystery/drama. Rolling Eyes
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote
I saw the artbox at a 'con last month and yes, it is cutesy and deceptively happy-looking. Nothing on it gives even a faint clue about the series' darker elements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
I really like the box, and I think it actually works really well the same way the show does. Really cute girls on the surface but what's inside is what's downright scary.

I couldn't agree more.

And from what I've seen, the first print editions of the Japanese Dvd(s) have similar covers. Usually people whine when they don't have the original artwork on the R1, you should be thankful for once! Wink
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote
That's the best art box I've seen for a show. That suit and those poses really fit both of those characters, well in most of the stories, and it seems fine by me. It looks good and really cute. I hope someone gets it for their 7 year old daughter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
undeadben wrote:
And at least this series got an artbox, I have 5 volumes of Shana with the 6th one on the way next month and no pretty artbox to put them in. Crying or Very sad It's like a little girl getting a new Barbie collection and no dream house.
Someone over at AnimeonDVD who appeared to be somewhat official made comments to the effect that Geneon might release an art box for the first series with the OVA hotspring episode (assuming they got it.) From what the person was saying, they've been negotiating for that and the Shana-tan, Hecate-tan OVAs. While it's nowhere near as good as an official annoucement, it's a bit of hope that all Barbie girls will get their dream houses. Anime catgrin

Link to that thread: Link

Speaking as someone who has not seen any of Higurashi, unless you count Casey and Friends, it's a very cute artbox that I for one think will look very nice on my shelf. I know it's a bit misleading, but the character designs are too. It looks like a cutesy moe harem comedy!

From what I've heard, there will be blood. Twisted Evil
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote
LightYagami wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Well you have to admit that if any one who buys it thinks its about just cat girls crying they are in for a royal surprise.

Well there are girls crying but for entirely different circumstances. Twisted Evil

Man, this year's summer anime releases is going to seriously kill my wallet with this, Air TV, Haruhi Suzumiya, and Fate/stay night.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Someone over at AnimeonDVD who appeared to be somewhat official made comments to the effect that Geneon might release an art box for the first series with the OVA hotspring episode (assuming they got it.) From what the person was saying, they've been negotiating for that and the Shana-tan, Hecate-tan OVAs. While it's nowhere near as good as an official annoucement, it's a bit of hope that all Barbie girls will get their dream houses. Anime catgrin

Very Happy I think I act like a whiny little girl when it comes to all the series I love.

Reading through that thread you linked to gives me hope. As much as I dislike 7 disk boxes, I would be all for paying extra to buy the OAV, (or movie Surprised) if it came with an artbox for the series. I'd also like to see the Hecate-tan episodes, they are including the Shana-tan specials with volume six so I know I'll get those, but I haven't seen any of the Hecate-tan.

Quote:
Speaking as someone who has not seen any of Higurashi, unless you count Casey and Friends, it's a very cute artbox that I for one think will look very nice on my shelf. I know it's a bit misleading, but the character designs are too. It looks like a cutesy moe harem comedy!

From what I've heard, there will be blood. Twisted Evil
Yes. (that's all I'm saying)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3