• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gun Frontier/Pirates of the C

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redangel77

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Sea Pirate Captain Harlock, basically the original Johnny Depp pirate haha. Except his out fit is way sweeter! I love that character so much. Anyone else a fan of Gun Frontier? I think it is a really underestimated anime. I am surprised it never got bigger in the US.
kola

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
"Everyone of us has an inside world that is closely guarded,
a world that few others are able to fathom, and thus envelops oneself in a silence that is strength and weakness at the same time, ending up in a war that demands everything and perhaps gives nothing."
JoshRecktar

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
haha what episode is that? 6? 7?
redangel77

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I even remember that quote and I have seen every episode at least twice.
kola

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
come on! it's from episode 8!
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to go on a rant here but Gun Frontier was perhaps the worst Anime I've ever seen. Its the only series that short that I've ever dropped. Where to start: Firstly, the plot moved at a lightning fast pace. It was like they took a 26 episode plot and squished it into 13 episodes. In watching it felt more like I was just reading a summary of the plot. There was never any build up to anything, just "this happens and then this happens and etc." The characters were marginal at best. The art style was just ugly. Not even just poorly drawn, it was some weird non-anime style. It just looked stupid and cartoony. Oh and the fanservice. Was the director sitting around and said to his friend "wanna bet how many times in a single episode I can have this woman take her clothes off?" THe awnser by the way was 3. Again the speed of sound plot didn't help here. It would just be like RANDOM NUDITY for ten seconds and them jump to something else. THen a bit later they find another excuse for 10 seconds of random nudity. Im not sure who captain harlock is becuase I could only suffer through about 4 episodes of this, but If he's anything like the rest of this series, he's not like anyone from Pirates, cause Pirates was actually good.
redangel77

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
To each his own, sorry to say I like it. I don't mind the nudity I really like the characters I think Harlock is a total stud. I mean hot pirates are so in right now. I thought the animation wasn't terrible and I have seen much worse in an anime series as far as story lines go. It isn't terrible, but I am not going to argue. What animes do you like to watch if this one is so low on your list IkillChicken?
kola

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
ikillchickens-you need to watch it again.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
kola: No I really dont. Once was more than enough.

Anyway, I dont really wanna argue about this. If you guys liked it, good for you. To each his own. I just had to get that off my chest.
redangel77

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Umm what animes do you like though killer?
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Weird you mention that... Gun Frontier is more Western-like (cowboys and such)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ThatMatt

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I liked Gun Frontier. Liked the wild west setting, six shooter gunfights, burbon drinking.....I'd never seen a western style anime before and I got into it. Not saying it was the best series I'd ever seen, but definately not the worst either, it was just good. Oh, and you gotta love some of those quotes at the beginning of each episode.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:53 pm Reply with quote
redangel77 wrote:
Umm what animes do you like though killer?

That hardly seems relevant but if you insist:

Excellent:
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
RahXephon
Samurai Champloo
Very Good:
Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Ninja Scroll (movie)
Hellsing
Full Metal Panic!
Fullmetal Alchemist
Ghost in the Shell
Good:
Fate/stay night
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
X (TV)
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083
Samurai 7
Wolf's Rain
Basilisk
Pretty Good:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Outlaw Star
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Afro Samurai
Vision of Escaflowne

Happy Now?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:56 am Reply with quote
kola wrote:
ikillchickens-you need to watch it again.

No, he needs to watch some other Leiji Matsumoto anime in order to gain a proper appreciation for the classics. Perhaps the original Captain Harlock TV series, or the more recent Endless Odyssey OVA, or the Galaxy Express 999 movies, or Arcadia of My Youth, or Space Symphony Maetel, etc., etc., etc.

As I understand it, Gun Frontier and Harlock Saga are the black sheep of Matsumoto's creations, being among the few that actually turned out badly (well, having seen Harlock Saga, I know for a fact it was horrible). He needs a proper introduction to one of the greatest individuals to ever produce anime and manga, and something like Galaxy Express is far more appropriate for that.

And by the way, comparing Captain Harlock to Jack Sparrow? I don't follow you. Sparrow's an aloof, deceitful, comedic sort. Harlock's more the stern, heroic, "go as a man" type who's all about honor and fighting for a cause when no one else will. They're both great characters, but saying they're alike beyond the simple fact that they're pirates is absurd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:08 am Reply with quote
I had mixed feelings about Gun Frontier. It had some fun moments but tended to be a bit too vulgar for my taste. Harlock Saga really is the worst Matsumoto based series. Oddly enough i could never get into the classic Arcadia of My Youth. It's definitely nothing against Harlock since I love the original series, SSX and Herlock Endless Odyssey.

I also notice that Maetel Legend tends to get lower ratings, but I enjoyed it. Matsumoto works in general seem to have a wide variety of staffers from various generations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2