• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
IF! ADV (or anyone) got Ouran H.S.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:38 pm Reply with quote
NOTICE! To my knowledge ADV does not have OHSHC

I would like to see them get it. I think that they would do it the most justice.

I would like to hear your thoughts has to who would be the best English VA casting choices of the VAs connected to ADV for the OHSHC characters.

Please keep in mind all that I've seen of this show are AMVs.

Here are my choices:

Tamaki : Vic Mignogna - Face it, the guy can to "over the top" so well and Tamaki definitely is "over the top."

Haruhi: Luci Christian - Luci has done the long-suffering put-upon voice before. I think that she could do this pretty good.

Kyoya: Chris Patton - He's pretty good. I liked how he played Greed in FMA and Sousuke in FMP! I think that he'd do well in this role.
OR Illich Guardiola - he's played some sneakily dark characters as well.

Mori: Mike McRae - Nice deep voice that is rather quiet. He played Dokugankuji in Saiyuki.

Hunny: Hilary Haag - Hey, I just like her voice. Deal with it.

Hikaru & Kaoru - Now this one is a bit difficult, I'm not sure if the same VA should play both roles or not but I was thinking of Greg Ayres because of his work as Son Goku in Saiyuki

Renge: Well, here's another that Hilary Haag could play but I was also thinking of Mandy Clark (Tomo in AzuDai) or Mariela Ortiz (Ringo in Angelic Layer

Well, those are my choices. Who would you pick?

EDIT: Revised title so that any VA from any North American company can be chosen. Just be sure to name the company and the VA along with a character or two that the VA has played, just for reference.

Last edited by LydiaDianne on Mon May 28, 2007 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Since I haven't seen/read enough to make many good recommendations there are a few I would suggest. I'll simply agree with Lydia on the rest I don't mention.

Illich Guardiola--- While Patton can do villains fairly well I would suggest another Chris for this role. Chris Ayres. He did a wonderful job as Isaak Fernando von Kämpfer in Trinity Blood. While a Funimation piece he is primarily with ADV which fits into Lydia's IF ADV got this anime idea. Also for note Lydia your beloved Hilary also was in Trinity Blood as Seth.

Renge--- While Lydia has a thing for Hilary Haag I gotta say I really like Brittney Karbowski. I think she would do a good job as Renge. She voiced Fuka in Gilgamesh very well, if you need a reference. Plus, as a fairly new VA this could be a big stepping stone for her, given Ouran's popularity, and give her cause to work even harder.

Mori--- When I think of ADV and a deep voice, as you put it Lydia, I think of Jason Douglas. His roles as the doctor in Maburaho and Louie in Rune Soldier were deeper roles and I think good performances by him.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I looked at the ADV list in the encyclopedia LydiaDianne. Haven't seen many of the titles, so I don't have much to work with. It also looks like you added actors who you know are freelancers (I'm not quite sure how to get that information myself without doing in depth research). On the basis of my knowledge of the English translation of the manga I'd agree Hilary Haag could be hilarious as Renge. Vic Mignogna could work as Tamaki in both the over-the-top King mode and the quieter scenes about his not-so-happy home life. I'm trying to hear the voices in my head of real-life twins I've seen on TV (the only real twins I know are relatives of my cousins who I only see rarely depending on weddings and funerals). I do think I remember them sounding the same, so I do think the Hitachiins should have the same voice actor (although I see they were played by different seiyu). From what I've heard of Greg Ayres, he could be good and I've read more than one person who have said they think he'd be perfect for Kaoru. They're arguably going to be the most difficult characters to cast, as some of their scenes with Haruhi and eachother can be very subtle.

I notice Kino's Journey on the ADV list. If she's eligible, how about Kelly Cousins (Kino) as Haruhi? She had a very good dry sense of humor in some scenes that I think would suit Haruhi very well, and the laid-back personality that would be necessary for Haruhi to deal with Tamaki and the twins.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:01 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Tamaki : Vic Mignogna - Face it, the guy can to "over the top" so well and Tamaki definitely is "over the top."

Oh, I agree. Vic is a dead ringer for Tamaki. I love that over-the-top Spanish prince character in Princess Tutu. Just perfect.

LydiaDianne wrote:
Haruhi: Luci Christian - Luci has done the long-suffering put-upon voice before. I think that she could do this pretty good.

That could work, although I like the suggestion that was given of Kelli Cousins. Or maybe Monica Rial?

LydiaDianne wrote:
Kyoya: Chris Patton - He's pretty good. I liked how he played Greed in FMA and Sousuke in FMP! I think that he'd do well in this role.
OR Illich Guardiola - he's played some sneakily dark characters as well.

Both good choices. I'm thinking Adam Conlon, but I've only seen him as Autor in Princess Tutu. Andy Mcavin (Aion in Chrono Crusade) might be good too.

LydiaDianne wrote:
Mori: Mike McRae - Nice deep voice that is rather quiet. He played Dokugankuji in Saiyuki.

Jason Douglas. He's got a nice deep voice. I really liked him as Remington in Chrono Crusade.

LydiaDianne wrote:
Hunny: Hilary Haag - Hey, I just like her voice. Deal with it.

Hunny is a tough one. I like Hilary, but I don't know if she would really fit. But, I can't think of anyone else.

LydiaDianne wrote:
Hikaru & Kaoru - Now this one is a bit difficult, I'm not sure if the same VA should play both roles or not but I was thinking of Greg Ayres because of his work as Son Goku in Saiyuki

Not sure about Greg Ayres. Don't think he would fit. But I can't think of anyone else at the moment. Like Hunny, the twins are tough to cast.

LydiaDianne wrote:
Renge: Well, here's another that Hilary Haag could play but I was also thinking of Mandy Clark (Tomo in AzuDai) or Mariela Ortiz (Ringo in Angelic Layer

Hilary I think is a good choice for Renge. Anyone seeing Tiffany Grant in this role? She can do over-the-top pretty well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
JG, as much as I enjoy Andy McAvin, he's a little too "old" sounding, but now that I think about it, he'd be great for Haruhi's Dad. Haruhi's dad reminds me a little of Icchan of Angelic Layer whom Andy was the VA for.

I forgot about Jason Douglas. He'd be a good choice for Mori as well.

Kelli Cousins would be another nice choice for Haruhi.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I'd like OHSHC to be done by ADV or not. I know an extra-stripped thinpak would fail, but I'd likely buy them by the volume.

I completely agree with Tomo's VA for Renge.

I'd like Yomi's VA for Haruhi ^^.

Vic Mignogna as a person makes me sad, but he would be a great Tamaki...but would he be able to pull off a "sexy" voice for when he's wooing his princesses? (I've only ever heard Vic as Ed..)
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:12 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
JG, as much as I enjoy Andy McAvin, he's a little too "old" sounding, but now that I think about it, he'd be great for Haruhi's Dad. Haruhi's dad reminds me a little of Icchan of Angelic Layer whom Andy was the VA for.

Ah, good thinking. I hadn't even thought about Haruhi's dad. Andy would work much better as him, now that you mention it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:

Vic Mignogna as a person makes me sad, but he would be a great Tamaki...but would he be able to pull off a "sexy" voice for when he's wooing his princesses? (I've only ever heard Vic as Ed..)

This is what made me want Vic as the VA for Tamaki.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3WpzRfsaj4

Why does Vic as a person make you sad?
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

That's what I'd like to know. I saw him at a con recently. He's a great guy, and quite the comedian too.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
My Picks

Haruhi- Probably my favorite character in Ouran...I'm not sure who to pick, but I have a couple of choices:
Luci Christian (Duck from Princess Tutu, Yukari from Azumanga Daioh, Kaname from Full Metal Panic!)
Kelly Cousins (Kino from Kino's Journey)
Nancy Novotny (Yomi from Azumanga Daioh)
or maybe Laura Bailey (Tohru from Fruits Basket, Sana from Kodocha)

Tamaki- He needs a VA with energy and charm, so either Vic Micnogna (Ed from Fullmetal Alchemist...I'm sure Vic is a nice person, I'm not too fond of his personal views but hey...) or Chris Patton (Sousuke from FMP!, Nenji from Nanaka 6/17, Fakir from Princess Tutu).

Kyoya- I say Chris Patton or Illich Guardiola (Makoto from Rahxephon).

Hunny- Cynthia Martinez (Sora from Kaleido Star) or Hilary Haag (Becky from Pani Poni Dash!) But I really don't know...

I'm not sure about the rest of the cast yet.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

That's what I'd like to know. I saw him at a con recently. He's a great guy, and quite the comedian too.

I think I may have figured it out. He's a Christian. So, he may have said things about his personal beliefs that others were offended by. Not that I saw anything on his webpage.

http://vicsworld.net/
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
My Picks

Haruhi- or maybe Laura Bailey (Tohru from Fruits Basket, Sana from Kodocha)

I too always thought that Laura Bailey would sound the best as Haruhi, from what I've heard I think the tone of her serious" voice matches Sakamotto Maya's the most.

As for Renge I would like Tiffany Grant to voice her, she's one of the best ADV's VAs when it comes to voicing the temperamental characters.

You can't go wrong with ADV when it comes to dubbing comedies, but I personally hope that FUNimation is the one to get the show since that means we'll get VAs from both ADV and FUNimation and very nice packaging.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

That's hilarious... and kind of creepy Shocked. I didn't realize he was the voice of Dark. I suddenly feel like re-watching D.N.Angel to hear that funny "How'd you like to go on a date with me?" line they show in the trailer Razz. I laugh every time.

And I'm really interested to know why he makes Maryohki sad Anime smile + sweatdrop.

As for the IF ADV got Ouran... well, I'm not really sure. I'm not a dub person, but from the few I've listened to I'd agree that Kelli Cousins would be really good for Haruhi.

Raven Shinobi wrote:
but I personally hope that FUNimation is the one to get the show since that means we'll get VAs from both ADV and FUNimation and very nice packaging.

I agree, I bet FUNi would do an awesome artbox for this show. But didn't they say they didn't have it? Or was that someone else...?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Maryohki wrote:

This is what made me want Vic as the VA for Tamaki.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3WpzRfsaj4

I've met my fair share of industry people and I can say honestly Vic is one of the nicest ones I've met. Unless he was simply faking it he was very nice and very kind to everyone who talked to him. He seems to genuinely appreciate the fans and what he does. I have a few other choices but you did say ADV only so I won't get it off topic and on another company.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I have a few other choices but you did say ADV only so I won't get it off topic and on another company.

Oh, what the heck! We don't know who will possibly have it. Even though I personally hope that ADV gets it, I would certainly like to hear who others think should be the VAs.

Go For It!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2